PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat spraygun

G-Body
12-01-2006, 03:47 PM
I have tried to spray gelcoat out of an automotive paint gun (Sharp Model 75) and it was very slow even with the gelcoat thinned past what was recommended. What does everyone think about using a texture paint gun like what you would use for a textured house celing paint? I was looking at this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2471 and it has 4,6, and 8mm tips. The Gelcoat dump gun that I was looking at says to use a 1/4" (6.3MM) tip for metalflake gelcoat. Looks to me like it would be a good solution for trying to spray gelcoat on a buget.

DUCKY
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Go to your local "China made tool dealer" and buy a gravity fed HVLP with at least a 1.8mm tip and you will do fine. The dump gun would be okay if you were spraying in the mold, but it puts out WAAAAY too much material for a re-gel or repair situation. I commonly use a little gravity fed gun that has a swivel cup on it with a 2.0 tip. I buy them from a local tool wholesaler for about $40. For larger jobs, I have an HVLP pressure pot with a 2.0 that I bought at Harbor Freight Tools for about $120

G-Body
12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Will the guns with 2.0mm tips work for spraying the large (0.025") bass-boat style metalflake? Most likely the next gelcoat that I spray will be to patch my dads taylor SS which has the large metalflake, so I want to make sure whatever gun I buy will handle it.
Have you used the HVLP pressure pot gun to re-gel entire boats? Any idea as to how fast it will spray a quart of gel? When I did my boat with a sharpe model 75 siphon gun with a 1.8mm tip it was taking ~45 min to shoot a quart :cry: I don`t want to repeat that :220v: .

DelawareDave
12-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Ducky- do you toss the elcheapo gun when you are done with it? Seems it might be a PIA to clean out the catalyzed gel.

G-Body
12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
If you do let the gelcoat harden it would be a huge PITA to get it out. But as long as you clean the gun out before it hardens it is virtually the same as cleaning out regular automotive paint. Just use lots of acetone instead of laquer thinner.

YeLLowBoaT
12-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I've used a old junk airless to spray gel. If you like sanding you could role or brush it on if you had too.

DelawareDave
12-03-2006, 02:32 PM
If you do let the gelcoat harden it would be a huge PITA to get it out. But as long as you clean the gun out before it hardens it is virtually the same as cleaning out regular automotive paint. Just use lots of acetone instead of laquer thinner.
My thoughts were more along time to clean it, plus cost of acetone, vs. tossing it and buying another elcheapo. I guess if your labor costs are low, it would be ok. But out here, @$65 per manhour, shop time, it would be cheaper to buy a new gun.

DUCKY
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM
My shop labor rate is $85, and I still clean my guns The trick is to clean it right now....not later. But I can assure you I don't cry over it if one does get left with gel in it....That's why I buy the cheap ones. I also have different guns I use for different jobs though. I have one gun that I spray only clear from and it gets cleaned very well, every time. While my "general use" gun doesn't receive that kind of attention.

martan
12-09-2006, 08:12 AM
The cheapest gun I have in my shop is 200 and it's just a touch up gun by sata. It doesn't take that long to clean a gun if you have a solvent bucket you just stick it in and brush it. In 15 years I have every gun I ever bought and they all still work fine. Anytime I have to spray much gel I always go with pressure. I even have a 1 quart pressure cup gun by sharp. I can empty it with thick gel in about 10 minutes.
www.bowkersfiberglass.com