PDA

View Full Version : Set-back conversion

HHauler
12-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I am thinking about a set back conversion for my boat. Anyone have any info/pictures/stories on this? What are the benefits of this? I have an H-2155 intake and was wondering if there are any better ones out there for doing this. I have a 19' Wreidt that is going through a major re-haul and of course it needs to go faster. :) It had a 455 that I had built with edelbrock heads, tunnel ram, all the goodies. Ran 79MPH turning an A-3 impeller at 5800RPM. Think I could of gone a lot faster considering I had to turn the rev limiter down to keep it from going 6000+. Just a freshened up Berk JC no diverter or anything. The boat is getting full-length stringers and saddle tanks and a 460. (The olds let go this summer) So anyway, want to do a lot of work on the jet this winter and I have seen some very nice wset-ups on these pages. Any ideas?
-Josh

sleekcrafter
12-02-2006, 06:56 AM
You need to check your tach, to verify it's accurate, then GPS your speed. Once those are verified, you can proceed. Now for a pump to turn an A-3 6000K plus, requires an increadible amount of HP, most likely not achived by a normaly asperated motor. Verify the tach and speed, if they are correct, then you likey have issues in the pump, that need to be looked at. As far as setbeck, a lot of people on here have done that, and can provide you the correct info, but your current set-up leaves some big questions.

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I think your tachs off. to spin a berk AA impler 6k takes about 800+ hp.
That or your pump is about ready to explode on you.
The basic benfit with a set back is less boat in the water= less drag= go faster. Doing this will change the handling of your boat, some times it makes it better, some times it makes it worse.

DUECE'SDAD
12-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I think your tachs off. to spin a berk AA impler 6k takes about 800+ hp.
That or your pump is about ready to explode on you.
The basic benfit with a set back is less boat in the water= less drag= go faster. Doing this will change the handling of your boat, some times it makes it better, some times it makes it worse.
I think the speedo (gps???) is off !!!!
From my recent questions asked to people with setback pump on NON tunnel hull type boats the ride at cruising speed (35-55) is definately hurt b/c not as much boat is in the water.

lilrick
12-02-2006, 09:02 AM
is did a set back in a 19' jet and thought it was worth every penny. The boat handled better and went faster. I can't give exact #'s because I did a complete jet swap at the same time. The only issue I had was turning . The boat started spinning out and cavitating at high speed turns. I was able to work it out though with the help of a couple people lurking around here!!! It's worth it if you plan on keeping the boat!!!

Duane HTP
12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Set back pumps help most boats with control, attitude and speed. But, you have other issues as stated above. The 3-A impeller, at 5800 RPM and 79 MPH do not equate. Either you have;
A tachometer that is off,
A speedometer that is off,
An impeller that is really not a 3-A,
A pump that is not loading or has serious problems,
or a combination of the above. Test your tach against another one. Gps your speed. If those check out, measure the actual size of the impeller. Somewhere in this process you are going to find what is off here.

Ken F
12-02-2006, 01:13 PM
From my recent questions asked to people with setback pump on NON tunnel hull type boats the ride at cruising speed (35-55) is definately hurt b/c not as much boat is in the water.
Bull. As far as cruzing you aren't even going to know it's set-back until you reach 50-60. At the speed you quoted, you are going to have just as much boat in the water as if you had a regular pump.

DUECE'SDAD
12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Thats only the feedback that i recieved from a few people on here and locals that had set the pump back in a boat that they had driven before hand.
That is the reason it reads the way it does I posted the results of my recent search. Glad to know that you know the real results and can share with this dude. My jet wont see over 60mph !!!!!

tahitijet
12-02-2006, 05:42 PM
my boat handles great at the lower speeds.. i have issues on the top end but those are getting tuned out with the hardware i have. but in the 35-40mph range it rides like a dream. Now it turns like crap but it rides great.

HHauler
12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the responces. I probably have a problem with the pump, which will be replaced or gone through anyway. My gages are all brand new Autometer Marine Comps. The tach is hooked up right and the speedo is a GPS. The high speed was in VERY good water conditions. The boat would normally do somewhere around 65-70 MPH all the time. I suspect more of an issue with the pump. I put an over-haul kit in it with an impeller that has A-3 stamped on it. Did not measure it though. Not giving you guys a bunch of BS, just what everything is and what the instruments said...

HHauler
12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
But back to the intake question, Is the one I have good enough to work with? How for back should I go?

Ken F
12-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Josh,
There are some pics here of the setback I did on my old boat.
http://sports.webshots.com/album/53322457xFuiDz
I don't really know by the number you gave how to advise you on your intake.
Possibly post some pics?
On how far....you are going to get two opinions:
One, cut through the back of the hull/transom to get your handhole outside of the transom. This is the way I did the one in the above link, and did't have any problems.
Two: Don't cut clear through the transom. This limits how far you can set the pump back, and consequently the handhole will probably be centered on the transom. The way around this is to make a transom adaptor which will fit inside the handhole cover and make the handhole non-removable, or make a cut-out in the transom adaptor which will allow access to the hand-hole. I've never liked this method because it's a pain to get to.
I would advise setting it back as far as you can, and getting the handhole outside of the transom. Afterall, you are trying to make the boat "think" it's longer and set back on the rideplate creating less "wetted" surface on the boat, right? But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others have a different one.
Here is a pic of the back of my new boat, when it was being rigged at Hi-Tech
Performance. This will give you an idea of how to make your transom adaptor plates to fit around your pump.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/8785520DCP_4148cr.jpg
Hope this helps some....
Ken

HHauler
12-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Ken,
Your info helps a lot. Here are some pictures of mine. Is that an agressor intake? Where did you get it? I don't mind cutting through the bottom. I would prefer the handhole out the back and not in the middle of the transom. The pictures are great.

Ken F
12-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Josh,
Glad to be of help. It looks to me as if your intake will work just fine but you will need to have some machine work done to it while you have it out:
On the bottom back edge of your intake, you will want to have a section milled out for the rideplate to set in. It will need to be 5/8" x 1/4". I'm not exactly sure on the 5/8 but aproximatly that. I'll go out and measure mine later today, and post up a picture for you where you can see better what I'm talking about.
I can't really remember if it was a Dominator or Agressor intake. The pump was a Dominator which I got used from HTP. I know it had an Agressor impeller, and the more I think about it, it probably was an Agressor intake since it came from Duane at Hi-tech Performance. www.Hi-Techperformance.com That boat had a Jacuzzi in it originally, so the intake was much wider than the new one-had to fill about 1 1/4" on the sides of the hole as well as in the front where it was set-back.
Ken

Rondane
12-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Josh,
since it came from Duane at Hi-tech Performance. www.Hi-Techperformance.com That boat had a Jacuzzi in it originally, so the intake was much wider than the new one-had to fill about 1 1/4" on the sides of the hole as well as in the front where it was set-back.
Ken
good job kenny. you do real good. Make it nice and easy. I never seen such well thought out and rehearsed BS in my life. Do you have stock in the company?
Josh give tom at www.jetboatperformance.com a call if you want real good prices on parts. He's got the BEST prices i've seen anywhere and VERY knowledgable. CA is much closer to you shipping wise.
good luck, rondane

Duane HTP
12-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Rondane, I was sending out Christmas Cards and could not find your address. So I'll just post my card to you here.
http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Rondane%201.jpg
If anyone else would like to sign this card, just add your name below.

3 daytona`s
12-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Rondane, I was sending out Christmas Cards and could not find your address. So I'll just post my card to you here.
Good Job, :) That is funny there

DelawareDave
12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't usually get involved with "who's parts are better/cheaper/etc." type stuff here on HB, but that "card" is just too funny, no matter who's name is on it! :D

lilrick
12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
signed....

Placecraft Dragstar
12-03-2006, 10:29 AM
good job kenny. you do real good. Make it nice and easy. I never seen such well thought out and rehearsed BS in my life. Do you have stock in the company?
Josh give tom at www.jetboatperformance.com a call if you want real good prices on parts. He's got the BEST prices i've seen anywhere and VERY knowledgable. CA is much closer to you shipping wise.
good luck, rondane
I was just wondering what happened to you rondane, have not seen you post on here in awhile but I see people are still thinking of you even at christmas time, a person can not have to many friends!!!

Ken F
12-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Uh-oh. I guess the ignore feature works! I didn't even see what happened.
But Duane, I'll sign your Christmas Card too....
Ken

Ken F
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Well RonnieJayne, if you were to read my post all I did was answer his question. He ASKED if it was an Agressor intake, and where I got it.
The only thing I had done in this post was try and help the guy with his questions on a pump setback.
I didn't tell him to call HTP, or ask Duane for advise.
Why don't you just go away? It's obvious no one on here likes you.
You never have anything constructive to say. All you do is butt in on any post where HTP is mentioned and try and steer people away from the only shop owner who bothers to come on here and give advice to people needing it. I really think most people on here appreciate Duane and his experience and advice.
It seems to me that the moderators should ban you.
You are back on ignore.
"Kenny"

tahitijet
12-03-2006, 12:21 PM
you will most likely get alot of opinions on how far back to go.
I agree with Ken from all the info i got from everyone i asked they all said go as far as possible to make the boat act like it's longer then it is. However the majority of the feedback i got was if the boat was not a race boat not to punch through the transom fully due to the potentionl for leaks.
I decided not to go through the transom on mine. I had the rear of my intake machined off so i could slide it further back agianst the transom and did not punch through. It put the handhole mostly out of the boat but still partially covered by the transom. I built a transom plate and cupped around the handhole. it seals up nice and makes it super easy to remove the cover in or out of the water.
here is a pic of mine.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P6171086.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P1010026-med.JPG
in the past 6 years i've been working on my boat i've bought parts from both tom at jetboat performance and duane at HTP. Both were great guys and both had really good prices. In the end I went with Duane for all my pump work and have not regreted it at all. He did a great job on my parts and charged me a fair price and the tech support i got before and after the sale have been priceless.

Ken F
12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Tahiti Jet, thanks for putting your pics up. That really shows him the two different ways of doing it, and two different schools of thought.
Josh, here's a pic of the rear of the shoe & how the rideplate attaches to show you what you will need machined off.
I was thinking though, that with a different intake, you would gain the advantage of having an adjustable shoe. You can see the shims on mine just above the shoe. This enables you to adjust the depth or bite of your shoe.
Hope this helps you........
Ken
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3084/878rideplate.jpg

G-Body
12-03-2006, 01:42 PM
tahitijet could you post up more pics of how you made the transom plate?
My dads Taylor SS has the jet set back about the same amount from the factory and they used a long fiberglass transom plate so that the cleanout was inside the boat. I keep trying to tell him that we could make a new transom plate like yours to get the cleanout outside the boat, but I haven`t been able to convince him yet.

DelawareDave
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
tahitijet could you post up more pics of how you made the transom plate?
My dads Taylor SS has the jet set back about the same amount from the factory and they used a long fiberglass transom plate so that the cleanout was inside the boat. I keep trying to tell him that we could make a new transom plate like yours to get the cleanout outside the boat, but I haven`t been able to convince him yet.
I would be interested in the same info. Mine also has the extended transom housing.

sleekcrafter
12-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Here one I made for my buddies boat, it helps if you weld a web between the two flanges, then you can just run you plate right past the pump, using a one piece deal like this.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0325.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0324.JPG

squirt
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I've got the same cupped transom adapter on mine and it is easy to get the hand hole cover off while in the water. Jack at MPD made this one for me. I am also a bit leary of doing a max setback on a lake boat, seen more than one boat crack from it and one of those sunk overnight.
Don
http://www.banderlog.com/playthings/walls%20of%20water%20053.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-03-2006, 07:04 PM
good luck, rondane
Good evening miss ronjane:) If kan's info wasnt god enough then why dont YOU post on how it should be done:idea::rolleyes:

78CoLe
12-06-2006, 07:15 AM
my handling all the way around improved i got a 78 cole but i started with a panther pump so put a berk int and figured id just set it back mines a full set back 5" i believe ran 84.1 last time out with a 472 ford with around 500 hp turned a A- impeller 5400