PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Boats

catman-do
12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Wanted to share my experience. Often too many people come on here to say negative things about peoples company or personal attacks. Not enough is said when someone has a good experience. I have owned many products (cars, motorhomes, toy haulers, etc...) where the manufacturer didnt give 2 shits about you once you left their lot. However Ultra has done an extremely good job in making me satisfied with their product. The guys down there are very easy to talk to and share any knowledge they have to help make my life easier. Definately a company that has earned my future business! Good job to all the guys at Ultra! Anyone thinking about buying a new boat, i suggest you take a look at Ultra.

talbert450r
12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Wanted to share my experience. Often too many people come on here to say negative things about peoples company or personal attacks. Not enough is said when someone has a good experience. I have owned many products (cars, motorhomes, toy haulers, etc...) where the manufacturer didnt give 2 shits about you once you left their lot. However Ultra has done an extremely good job in making me satisfied with their product. The guys down there are very easy to talk to and share any knowledge they have to help make my life easier. Definately a company that has earned my future business! Good job to all the guys at Ultra! Anyone thinking about buying a new boat, i suggest you take a look at Ultra.
Very well said and I totally agree. The people and the boats are top notch.

Ultracrazy
12-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Really..........maybe I should check them out :p

shadow
12-02-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm on my second Ultra and and about 8 years later and will probablly be on my 3rd (hopefully soon).Couldn't be happier with the quality and service.
From all my experiences everyone at ultra have been great over the years and always treated me like family.Thanks John,Leah & Holly & not to forget all
the people behind the scenes. :)

Mandelon
12-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Ya mean the stereo guys? :p
John and his crew are top notch.

RiverOtter
12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Speaking of Ultra, what kind of speed are they getting out of the 27 Shadow "deck boat" with a 525?

ratso
12-02-2006, 09:11 AM
I think Ultra is the one company that rarely gets knocked on here...

shadow
12-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Speaking of Ultra, what kind of speed are they getting out of the 27 Shadow "deck boat" with a 525?
I belive the low 80's.

RiverOtter
12-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I belive the low 80's.
That's pretty strong :idea:

catman-do
12-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Not sure about the 525, im running a 496 HO, and see about 78-79 on the speedo and 76 on GPS. Havent ever try to run it on a glass day with no gas and no people though. Im suer i can get maybe 2 more mph out of it.

boatnam2
12-03-2006, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=catman-do]Not sure about the 525, im running a 496 HO, and see about 78-79 on the speedo and 76 on GPS. Havent ever try to run it on a glass day with no gas and no people though. Im suer i can get maybe 2 more mph out of it. hard to do but make a run by yourself,low on fuel..find a nice head breeze driving into a steady small chop you will find your best number by far.

Ultrafied
12-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Never enough good things can be said about John and the crew at Ultra! :D

voodoomedman
12-04-2006, 07:35 AM
It seems as if they treat every customer that well!

ULTRA26 # 1
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm glad you had such a positive experiance with everyone at Ultra. I haven't been quite as lucky. Please don't get me wrong, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra and John West has always gone above and beyond to make things right, even when it has meant John paying for a redo of issues that Ultra Performance should have warranted. Personally, I have yet to have a positive experiance with Mike Harlin. Everyone else at Ultra and Ultra Performance is great. My 26 Deck went back to Ultra and Ultra Performance, last July, to complete the install of the foot shower, the duel batteries, a pair of grab handles, as well as the install of the stereo. After Ultra completed it's share of the work, the boat was towed to Ultra Performance. I got a call from an Ultra rep, advising me that Mike Harlin would not complete my boat. The boat was returned to me incomplete with a box of parts. I discussed this with John West, and John agreed to compensate me to install the remaining parts myself. Again, please don't interpret what I have stated here as a slam of Ultra. John West, and Ultra Custom Boats are the best in the industry, with regard to customer service. My boat is at Ultra now for upgrades and for some warranty work. It is my understanding that John West is being forced to pay another rigger to complete the warranty work because Mike Harlin still refuses to work on my boat, warranty or not. Obviously there is a personal issue between Mike Harlin and I, which in my opinion, should have nothing to do Mr. Harlin standing behind and/or completing his product. I have no doubt that John West will make things right as he always has. As I said when I started this post, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra. I drove to Ultra almost a month ago, and tried to clear the air with Mike Harlin. In front of John West and my Son, I apologized to Mr. Harlin for whatever is was that I said or did, to cause him to refuse to complete my boat. He would not accept my apology. He just continued to glare at me. Sorry JW, I held this in as long as a could. BTW I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ultra.
John M

jbtrailerjim
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm glad you had such a positive experiance with everyone at Ultra. I haven't been quite as lucky. Please don't get me wrong, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra and John West has always gone above and beyond to make things right, even when it has meant John paying for a redo of issues that Ultra Performance should have warranted. Personally, I have yet to have a positive experiance with Mike Harlin. Everyone else at Ultra and Ultra Performance is great. My 26 Deck went back to Ultra and Ultra Performance, last July, to complete the install of the foot shower, the duel batteries, a pair of grab handles, as well as the install of the stereo. After Ultra completed it's share of the work, the boat was towed to Ultra Performance. I got a call from an Ultra rep, advising me that Mike Harlin would not work complete my boat. The boat was returned to me incomplete with a box of parts. I discussed this with John West, and John agreed to compensate me to install the remaining parts myself. Again, please don't interpret what I have stated here as a slam of Ultra. John West, and Ultra Custom Boats are the best in the industry, with regard to customer service. My boat is at Ultra now for upgrades and for some warranty work. It is my understanding that John West is being forced to pay another rigger to complete the warranty work because Mike Harlin still refuses to work on my boat, warranty or not. Obviously there is a personal issue between Mike Harlin and I, which in my opinion, should have nothing to do Mr. Harlin standing behind and/or completing his product. I have no doubt that John West will make things right as he always has. As I said when I started this post, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra. I drove to Ultra almost a month ago, and tried to clear the air with Mike Harlin. In front of John West and my Son, I apologized to Mr. Harlin for whatever is was that I said or did, to cause him to refuse to complete my boat. He would not accept my apology. He just continued to glare at me. Sorry JW, I held this is as long as a could. BTW I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ultra.
John M
Sorry, to hear about your misfortune with your Ultra. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Ultra Boats and Ultra Performance.
Not that it is any of my business but there must be a reason Mike at Ultra Performance is pissed off at you and refuses to do any work on your boat? It seems like your leaving part of the story out.

shippingguy
12-04-2006, 01:27 PM
UltraJohn? Anything?
Gee I would have never guessed you would chime in here :) It was the motor on UltraJohn's boat right if my memory serves me correctly??? Yeah it was and who built that motor again?? Ultra? Nope Dereberry. So why don't you SAVE IT!! Why are you on your third Eliminator? Sorry for the thread jack John M. Back to the topic at hand.

ULTRA26 # 1
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Sorry, to hear about your misfortune with your Ultra. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Ultra Boats and Ultra Performance.
Not that it is any of my business but there must be a reason Mike at Ultra Performance is pissed off at you and refuses to do any work on your boat? It seems like your leaving part of the story out.
Not sure what I left out. I believe that I stated that there is a personal issue between Mike Harlin and I. The personal issue stems from the fact that this guy refused to finish my boat. My boat was at Ultra last July to be completed. After 3 weeks I spoke with Mikey at Ultra who informed me that Ultra Performance had not touched my boat. I asked Mikey, if Ultra Perforance had already been paid for completing my 26. I was told that when Mikey took my boat to Ultra Performance to be completed he made the comment to Harlin "haven't you already been paid for this boat?" Again I was told that it was this time when Mike Harlin told Mikey to remove my boat from Ultra Performance. After thay time, I communicated., by email, with John West about this issue and, for good reason, stated how I felt how Mike Harlin. I apologized, for anything I had said that caused him to refuse working on my boat. Mr. Harlin appears unable to forgive and there is no doubt that he will not admit when he's wrong. I am of the opinion that there is nothing a customer can or say or do to justify a builder not completing a boat that he has been paid for. I believe the same holds true for a builder refusing to honor warranty issues. Thankfully, John and Leah West are honorable people who have made sure that things are right with my new 26 Deck.

andy01
12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm glad you had such a positive experiance with everyone at Ultra. I haven't been quite as lucky. Please don't get me wrong, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra and John West has always gone above and beyond to make things right, even when it has meant John paying for a redo of issues that Ultra Performance should have warranted. Personally, I have yet to have a positive experiance with Mike Harlin. Everyone else at Ultra and Ultra Performance is great. My 26 Deck went back to Ultra and Ultra Performance, last July, to complete the install of the foot shower, the duel batteries, a pair of grab handles, as well as the install of the stereo. After Ultra completed it's share of the work, the boat was towed to Ultra Performance. I got a call from an Ultra rep, advising me that Mike Harlin would not work complete my boat. The boat was returned to me incomplete with a box of parts. I discussed this with John West, and John agreed to compensate me to install the remaining parts myself. Again, please don't interpret what I have stated here as a slam of Ultra. John West, and Ultra Custom Boats are the best in the industry, with regard to customer service. My boat is at Ultra now for upgrades and for some warranty work. It is my understanding that John West is being forced to pay another rigger to complete the warranty work because Mike Harlin still refuses to work on my boat, warranty or not. Obviously there is a personal issue between Mike Harlin and I, which in my opinion, should have nothing to do Mr. Harlin standing behind and/or completing his product. I have no doubt that John West will make things right as he always has. As I said when I started this post, my 26 is my 3rd Ultra. I drove to Ultra almost a month ago, and tried to clear the air with Mike Harlin. In front of John West and my Son, I apologized to Mr. Harlin for whatever is was that I said or did, to cause him to refuse to complete my boat. He would not accept my apology. He just continued to glare at me. Sorry JW, I held this is as long as a could. BTW I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ultra.
John M
Your not the only person that can't get along with or stand Mike Harlin or his rigging. For fear of making Ultra look bad I won't post anymore on the subject but just wanted to put some backing behind your post incase someone else wanted to slam you for it.
As for John West and his wonderful wife Leah, they are great people and build a nice boat. I am still friends with the West family some five years after I owned my Ultra. John is fun to buy and build boats with. If he built a boat that fit my needs I would be all over it. He knows I'll lay another boat up with him at some point.
Andy

RandyH
12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Moral of the story, never count on any delivery date from a custom builder, rigger, etc. These guys can only do so much. You can't add enough people during the rush. Quality is worth the wait. Something was said or implied and he was offended , sounds to me.
Mike is a stand up guy. He always returned my calls. But on his schedule. Its too bad you two can't work it out. I would keep trying.
Good Luck,
RandyH

ULTRA26 # 1
12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Moral of the story, never count on any delivery date from a custom builder, rigger, etc. These guys can only do so much. You can't add enough people during the rush. Quality is worth the wait. Something was said or implied and he was offended , sounds to me.
I don't think there is any question that something I did or said offended Mr. Harlin. The question is, does being offended give someone the right not to finish something he/or she has been paid to do? or to refuse to complete repairs under warranty? I don't beleieve so.

98 Vector 21
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Dont know Mr. Harlin, however J.W. was straight up with me before I made our purchase....

ULTRA26 # 1
12-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Dont know Mr. Harlin, however J.W. was straight up with me before I made our purchase....
John West is a stand up guy, who has stepped up to the plate to make good on the issues with my Ultra that Mike Harlin wouldn't.
As I mentioned in an earlier, I would buy another Ultra and still recommend Ultra to anyone that's looking for a new or used boat.
John M

Kilrtoy
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
OH no this is gonna get good

Makinitdrip
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
ok.. is Mr. Hardin the only one who does the rigging? Mine went to rigging last week. Everything seems to have gone perfect. Should I worry???

plaster dave
12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
I dont care what buisness you are in you have to suck it up and honor your contracts or obligations.

voodoomedman
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
ok.. is Mr. Hardin the only one who does the rigging? Mine went to rigging last week. Everything seems to have gone perfect. Should I worry???
Mike Harlan owns Ultra Performance which does the rigging. This is the first I've ever heard of any problems with Mike. I'm not saying that Ultra26 #1 is not speaking the truth. Just that you rarely hear of any problems. And like he said even if there was an issue John West will always make sure to take care of his customers.

ULTRA26 # 1
12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Mike Harlin owns Ultra Performance the shop that rigs Ultra Custom Boats. I don't think that Harlin does much of the rigging himself these days, but not sure about that. I'm sure your boat will be rigged nicely as are all finished Ultra Custom boats.