PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football Playoff System

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Ok guys, enough is enough. The current BCS system sucks. We need a playoff system. Actually, it would be pretty easy to do. Understanding tradition, this system would have a little bit of old, a little bit of current and a little bit of new.
This would be an 8 team playoff system, I know, better then nothing. Conferences are treated as divisions, win and your in. WE can have 8 Conference champions as the remaining 4 conferences for all purposes should be Div 1AA. If some do not like that, then we go to 6 conferences with two at larges. The BCS games (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange) start the 8 game playoff. The following week we have the semi finals with the next week the Championship, maybe a Thursday night game so it is almost 2 weeks in between. This schedule should not interfere with school for the students, and if it does, it is only the first week or two of their class schedule. I was thinking the following for the 8 conferences:
1.ACC
2.Big East
3.Big 10
4.Big 12
5.Pac 10
6.SEC
7.Mountain West
8.WAC
The Mountain West and WAC are a little weak, but with teams that are there at times, like Fresno State and Boise State, I thought we should give them a chance.
If not, we can drop the Mountain West and the WAC and go with 2 at larges. This would work out better for Notre Dame. But quite frankly, Notre Dame is not in a conference for only football and the reason is purely financial for them. If they want to play for a title,then get with a conference. I kind of like the 6 conference and 2 at larges, it gives the weak conferences and at larges a chance. They can still use the BCS as a ranking system an important ranking system, but let the top teams play for the marbles when there is so much confusion, such as now. I think this system would cause as little of disruption as possible to the current system. The schools would get just as much money as now, and the semi final and final teams making even more, because they earned it. Unfortunately, economics play a huge role in all of this and have to be considered. What do you guys/girls think?

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 06:18 PM
No input from anyone??? :cry:

Jordan_23_85205
12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
ok after watching FL tonight. I'll put our differences aside and agree there should be sometype of playoff system. There's no doubt in my ind that they should play tOSU now.

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Right on, I actually agree with that. Dude, I am not trying to hammer you, just having some fun, spirited debate. ANyways, what do yo think of the format listed above?

JetBoatRich
12-02-2006, 07:29 PM
sounds simple :rolleyes: enough

Jordan_23_85205
12-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Right on, I actually agree with that. Dude, I am not trying to hammer you, just having some fun, spirited debate. ANyways, what do yo think of the format listed above?
I actually think that could work. And for a season like this, I would welcome it.... tOSU won't get any respect this year no matter who they beat. Even if we play FL, people will say our schedule was soft. I would welcome a playoff system right about now... If we can't beat Fl, USC, Mich or anyone else the NCAA puts in front of us, we don't deserve the NCS.

HavasuDreamin'
12-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Up until 4 or 5 days ago, I would have agreed with you. Not anymore. I am in favor of a +1 system. The top four teams duke it out in a mini-play off. The reason I don't believe there should be an 8 team or 16 team play off is because that decreases the significance of the rest of the regular season. If all you have to do is make the top 16 or top 8, then USC's game with ND last weekend would not have been as critical as it was. Playing for seeding is not as critical as playing to make the title game.
I think with a +1 system, you match the #4 team vs. the #1 team and #2 vs. #3. The winners meet for the title. This gives any team who has had one "f*ck Up" the chance to prove they are deserving which is what everybody wants.
I do agree the BCS system is complete garbage. :rolleyes:

Bow Tie Omega
12-03-2006, 08:28 AM
That is a valid argument. My only problem comes to economics, which I believe will keep that from getting done. There are 4 games in the BCS as of now, leaving one game in the dust for a 4 team playoff. These Bowl games who have contracts with the BCS are not going to let their game go very easily. That was my only thinking on shooting down the 4 game playoff. Along with the fact that we have about 6 teams that should be in consideration.
As far as weakening the regular schedule, it could happen, but with 6 teams with one loss or less, which has been the case since the BCS started, I think the finishing record would still be huge along with the fact that the BCS would stilll be responsible for ranking the teams. Personally, I think the BCS gets us close as far as ranking the teams. But it gets us to roughly the top 10, after that almost any one of those teams is deserving. While I do have a USC bias, simple fact is that as famed as the Big 10 was in years past, they are not on the level of the SEC or Pac 10. Is winning out in that conference the same as one loss in the Pac 10 or SEC? My opinion is no, it is not. Strength of schedule still needs to be a factor.
That is my opinion for what ever it is worth.

THOR
12-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Best idea yet BowTie.
I have been saying this for a while. Lets say that USC is still in the hunt at number 8. That would play OSU first round. I for one would watch every minute of that game. Also, the revenue generated from the games with all the hype would make the BCS look like chump change.
Playoff is where it is. Or, at least have a +1 game if nothing else.

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2006, 08:36 AM
There's to much money in the bowl system... the college's aren't going to give that up, ever... unfortunately.
The arguments against a football playoff system are bunk... after all, every other college sport has some sort of elimination tournament to crown a national champion. Why can't football?? It all comes down to M-O-N-E-Y...
And screw the at large schools... they can join a conferance if they want to be a national champ... :D

Bow Tie Omega
12-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Honestly, a playoff would be the equalizong factor. We can all talk trash on who's team or conference is better and put each other down in the process. But at the end of the day, the only way to find out for sure is to let them play. It is coming. I sent my recipe to Erik Kuselias. With taking all of the factors into account (financial, student schedules, conference play, schedule conflicts with NFL) I really think it could work. There are several teams that are going to get jobbed this year. It just should not be that way. IMO Boise State deserves a shot, Michigan, Florida, Louisville. Let the teams play.

Bow Tie Omega
12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
There's to much money in the bowl system... the college's aren't going to give that up, ever... unfortunately.
The arguments against a football playoff system are bunk... after all, every other college sport has some sort of elimination tournament to crown a national champion. Why can't football?? It all comes down to M-O-N-E-Y...
And screw the at large schools... they can join a conferance if they want to be a national champ... :D
That is the beauty of my system, they all get their money . The do not matter bowls will still be that. The BCS Bowls are all play off bowls, they get their money. then you have 3 more games to make even more money in the process.

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2006, 09:18 AM
That is the beauty of my system, they all get their money . The do not matter bowls will still be that. The BCS Bowls are all play off bowls, they get their money. then you have 3 more games to make even more money in the process.
The schools say that if it were a playoff system with the bowls, they would have to split the bowl money with all the schools in their conferance... they don't want to do that.
If I understand the argument correctly, it more has to do with the schools that would end up playing all the way through.. it wouldn't end up being "fair" for those schools to collect all the bowl money for every game they played...
Still, it's a weak argument. A college playoff with the championship game on New Years day would be bigger than the Super Bowl. That would be worth 10 times what an individual bowl game.

MayDaze
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Looks like it will be Florida and OSU...... Go Gators!

tgotch
12-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Go Bucks!!!

MayDaze
12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
USC/Michigan will be a good game.....

Seadog
12-04-2006, 06:25 AM
The big problem is the fan base. To go to the lowly Fiesta Bowl, OU fans will shell out and estimated $1600 for each person going. That's airfare, accomodations, meals and tickets. The bigger the game, the more cost. There are a lot of fans that will not be able to shell out that kind of cash for several games. And with the short time between games, it would be hard to make arrangements, especially around the holidays.
Ok State is playing in Shrevesport on the 28th. I can do the drive in a day, stay at Motel 6 a few miles out (I wouldn't stay in Shrevesport on a bet) and get nosebleed tickets for $35. When they played in the Cotton Bowl, I didn't go, even though I had family to stay with. Worse stadium in the nation and they wanted something like $200/ticket.

Bow Tie Omega
12-04-2006, 06:44 AM
The big problem is the fan base. To go to the lowly Fiesta Bowl, OU fans will shell out and estimated $1600 for each person going. That's airfare, accomodations, meals and tickets. The bigger the game, the more cost. There are a lot of fans that will not be able to shell out that kind of cash for several games. And with the short time between games, it would be hard to make arrangements, especially around the holidays.
Ok State is playing in Shrevesport on the 28th. I can do the drive in a day, stay at Motel 6 a few miles out (I wouldn't stay in Shrevesport on a bet) and get nosebleed tickets for $35. When they played in the Cotton Bowl, I didn't go, even though I had family to stay with. Worse stadium in the nation and they wanted something like $200/ticket.
I hear what you are saying. But for SC in the Rose Bowl, it was alot more money then that and it was easily sold out. The nice thing about play-offs, you have some serious flexability. First of all, if this actually happened, do you think that these games would not be sold out? Maybe the casual fan would not go to all of the games. Corporate America would absolutely go. Major League Baseball can have up to 12 games before the World Series. For the semi finals, the higher ranked team can have home field advantage, since the first round will be neutral, That is just one idea. There are many other combinations that could work. This may lower prices for the initial bowls, but mot by much. This would be good for the casaul fan. This is a case where less money would be more money in the end, with the extra games. And with the conference's and college president's making the decisions on almost financial reasons alone, they would like the extra $$$. While you will not hear any college or conference executives come out against the current system publicly, it is well known that the boosters of these colleges want a play off system, and the boosters do have the ears of college execs.

eliminatedsprinter
12-04-2006, 10:24 AM
It would have to include all the conferences, just like the playoffs in all the other divisions do. All the independents would have to join conferences, just like they do in other sports.

sangervdrive
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
As a current student I can say that I have been saying this for years and I have never in my life met a fellow student that likes football that thought the current system was even decent.
Every football fan I have ever talked to thought the bowl system was retarded. I would think eventually they would listen to the fans and change the damned system.

Bow Tie Omega
12-04-2006, 11:08 AM
It would have to include all the conferences, just like the playoffs in all the other divisions do. All the independents would have to join conferences, just like they do in other sports.
In the perfect world,I would agree, but with 12 conferences, I do not think we would ever see a 16 game playoff, although,if we made 16 Bowl games play off games, it could be possible, but highly unlikely. It would be nice though.

eliminatedsprinter
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
In the perfect world,I would agree, but with 12 conferences, I do not think we would ever see a 16 game playoff, although,if we made 16 Bowl games play off games, it could be possible, but highly unlikely. It would be nice though.
In a perfect world the NCAA would get a major overhaul. It is the most backward organization left in all of sports.
D I AA 's 16 game turny works out real well for them. It's shame they won't change anytime soon.

Bow Tie Omega
12-04-2006, 11:38 AM
In a perfect world the NCAA would get a major overhaul. It is the most backward organization left in all of sports.
D I AA 's 16 game turny works out real well for them. It's shame they won't change anytime soon.
Very needeed and long overdue. IAA's system is a great system. I have always thought to just make the bowl games play off games. There are 30 something bowls. The greedy coferences that are already in do not want to share. You would think the NCAA would just do it and say that this is the way that it is. The big conferences and big bowl games would be hot about it for a little while, but they would get over it.

eliminatedsprinter
12-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Very needeed and long overdue. IAA's system is a great system. I have always thought to just make the bowl games play off games. There are 30 something bowls. The greedy coferences that are already in do not want to share. You would think the NCAA would just do it and say that this is the way that it is. The big conferences and big bowl games would be hot about it for a little while, but they would get over it.
The NCAA is too busy worrying about what teams have Indian Mascots and what players might be speaking with, or (gasp!) taking free meals from, pro scouts or sports agents. :rolleyes: