PDA

View Full Version : Moorpark FIRE

Moneypitt
12-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Anyone close to the Moorpark fire? I know Sangerboy lives out that way!! E ticket,(Gary) was just here and said Camarillo is all smoke and blowing ash.......Any news?...........Ray

RitcheyRch
12-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Waiting for the 9 o'clock news to hear about it.

Dan Lorenze
12-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I've been hearing Helos all morning........ And see lots of smoke... I'll go check it out......

HatenWinter
12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
It's burning in the same area that burned in 2003, around Grimes and Walnut Canyon area. There have been numerous structures threatened and it's heading closer to town with the strong winds behind it. They just ordered another 8 strike teams (40 engines total). Fixed wing aircraft have been ordered too.

al cole'holic
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
..at least the wind is heading your ways :crossx:

HatenWinter
12-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Yep, nice and smokey here!

fourspeednup
12-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Leaving Ventura tonight....flying out of Burbank around 7....guess I won't be taking the 118 to the 5 :(

JetBoatRich
12-03-2006, 02:51 PM
just saw a clip on the TV, looks like a bad one :cool:

RitcheyRch
12-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Most likely going to get worse before gets better due to these high winds.

Brooski
12-03-2006, 03:32 PM
As of an hour ago, 4100 acres, 5 structures lost, 5 damaged, moving west. The wind is pretty bad today. I am waiting to see it come north over the mountain.

Keyser
12-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I can see it from my front porch.

Dan Lorenze
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Pics from my house:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dan_Lorenze/IMG_1973.jpg?t=1165208477
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dan_Lorenze/IMG_1976.jpg?t=1165208537
I just read that the fire is raging out of control with no end in sight, winds are supposed to be going strong until Wednesday. A battle for Firefighters for sure.... Thanks to all Firefighters..........

QuickJet
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the pics Dan. Puts it all into perspective as to how close you are. Hope that thing stops real quick. A little Too close for comfort!!

Rexone
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
News just estimated 10000+ acres, 20 mph winds sustained, 35-40 gusts overnight. Not good.

RitcheyRch
12-04-2006, 05:05 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=4819761
MOORPARK, December 3, 2006 - A brush fire driven by powerful Santa Ana winds destroyed five homes and threatened hundreds of others Sunday in the canyons and hills surrounding this Southern California bedroom community.
The fire burned out of control across 9,700 acres, razing a storage building and five other homes, Ventura County fire Capt. Barry Parker said. Hundreds of residents packed valuables and fled after authorities called for evacuations, while dozens of trailers used to transport livestock lined up a road.
"The sheriff's (deputies) said if you see flames, leave," said Dave Hare, who was at a home on the site of a recycling business he owns. Although Hare's friend soaked his roof with water, "I told him just forget it and get out of there," he said.
Some residents stayed put despite nearby flames up to 35-feet high. In one neighborhood, the fire came within 100 yards of homes.
Arturo Huerta, 88, stationed himself on the family's home with hose in hand and watched for burning embers.
"I'm kinda nervous," he said.
Across the street, homeowner Tony Hewitt, 53, noted the same area burned in 2003 when 16 homes were destroyed by a 97,000-acre blaze in nearby Simi Valley. Hewitt said the vegetation had come back.
Sunday's fire broke out around 2:30 a.m. on the northwestern edge of Moorpark, a one-time farm town about 29 miles northwest of Los Angeles that housing development has transformed into a bedroom community in recent years. The fire quickly burned through more than 15 square miles of heavy brush and chaparral in hills dotted with horse ranches, tract homes, and eucalyptus, avocado and citrus groves on the city's outskirts.
Flames sprung up again around 7 a.m. near Moorpark, but fire officials later classified both fires as a single blaze known as the Shekell incident, although they were a couple of miles apart. A third fire burned south of Camarillo and was expected to be contained at 30 acres, authorities said.
By early evening, the fire had created a dense, brown-and-orange haze over the city and forced authorities to shut down part of the area's main north-south artery, Highway 23.
Hampered by 70-mph gusts, more than 1,000 firefighters aided by water-dropping helicopters were focusing more on protecting homes than containing the flames. Crews were bracing for winds up to 30 mph and gusts as high as 50 mph combined with low humidity on Monday.
"You don't attack a fire with winds this extreme," said Capt. Mike Mathiesen of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. "They're ferocious."
A massive packaging plant was engulfed in flames and burnt for hours, occasionally letting off small explosions. Firefighters stood watch at a nearby estate to ensure a shift in wind wouldn't send flames toward the home.
No major injuries were reported. A fire engine belonging to the state fire department tipped over during the initial response, but three firefighters aboard were uninjured. The accident occurred when the engine's driver apparently got too close to the edge of a road to let cars pass, officials said.
In Riverside County, firefighters gained control of a wildfire that burned 100 acres of hillside brush. The fire, which began late Saturday near a high school in Norco, was fanned by strong winds and caused one minor injury to a firefighter.
The cause of all the fires was under investigation.

sea2lake
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Dec2006/La_Jolla_AMO_2006337_lrg.jpg
satellite view.

Moneypitt
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Eraser, (Scott) just posted in Vdrives that his brother, (Sangerboy) is real close to harms way. Fire has been within 1/4 mile of the property and still raging out of control. He is just west of Moorpark and north of hwy118. Lets all try to pool our ***boat power of suggestion and command that fire to go the other way!!! I've been there and the weed/brush abatement around the house/barn/shop was pretty good, so let's all hope for the best.............Ray