PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Stevens Hydro

thstevens
12-13-2001, 12:41 PM
I have purchased a `69 Stevens Hydro and know nothing about this boat other than the previous owner said it was a rare ride and very stable, I am just curious if the hull shape was any good or just something that was tried and scrapped.. I am new to v-drives and fell in love with this boat on first sight and hope to ride it next season.
Any information will be appreciated and Thank You for posting all the wonderful stories and pictures. I would post a picture if I knew how :-)

superdave013
12-13-2001, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the world of v-drives! Send me that pic and I'll post it for ya.
daveb@adwest.cc

DougD
12-13-2001, 06:01 PM
Congrats. I had a Stevens flatty for years. For many years Stevens' boats were very popular. All the "old timers" (sorry if I offend !) I knew said they were well known for being very ruggedly constructed and were one of the better names on the hottie-boat arena for quite some time. I think they went out of business in the early 70's but maybe someone else knows for sure. I myself would like to known more about the history of Stevens boats.
You'll love this V-drive stuff. It's almost a sub-culture----and I mean that in a good way.
I've been out of the hobby for many years but am looking to get involved again. Maybe sometime next year I'll find a good project boat.
How 'bout some details on your boat? What kind of engine, etc.
Good luck,
Doug Dwyer

thstevens
12-14-2001, 06:58 AM
Thank You for the welcome and I will send some pics, Superdave.. This Hydro has a 454 chevy with all the goodies and 14% overdriven Caselle and a 12X15 2 blade prop that I had Tom Bentley check out...what a work of art, I wanted to hang that prop on the wall when I got it back...Anyway the boat was restored before I purchased it in Michigan from a gentleman that kept having valve problems that turned out to be from overrevving the engine due to a bent prop and not enough gear in the v-drive.. I have a pfm Twin Turbo setup that will get installed this winter if i have the time to change the pistons and find around a 25% set of gears for the drive..I have restored several jets but always wanted a v-drive after I got a ride in one many years ago ( Scared the crap out of me )I want More !!!
Have a Great Day
David Cross