PDA

View Full Version : Garage Addition???

HatenWinter
12-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Has anyone added onto the depth of their garage out in Havasu? I'm thinking about adding another Approx. 15 feet onto my existing garage depth, leaving the current garage intact and punching out the rear wall. I would also want to have a "simple" view deck on top of the addition. It would be approx. 20ft wide X 15 ft deep. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what something like this would cost (plans, permits, materials, labor). If so, are there any recommendations on contractors out there? Thanks! :)

Mandelon
12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
$100 a sq foot?

TCHB
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
If you need help my builder did a great job. PM if you need his number.

SummitKarl
12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Has anyone added onto the depth of their garage out in Havasu? I'm thinking about adding another Approx. 15 feet onto my existing garage depth, leaving the current garage intact and punching out the rear wall. I would also want to have a "simple" view deck on top of the addition. It would be approx. 20ft wide X 15 ft deep. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what something like this would cost (plans, permits, materials, labor). If so, are there any recommendations on contractors out there? Thanks! :)
it depends solely on the direction of your current trusses, if it's gable style running front to rear, it becomes very hard to do the addition at the rear, trying to slip a 20' long beam under your current trusses is no easy task, if the trusses run side to side then it's easy. what you do end up with though is a internal opening identical to the front at the garage door.
the view deck isn't so simple it requires me to put TGI trusses every 1' rather than every 2' and a min of 3/4" sheet I prefer to use 1-1/8" sheet, and it requires a 3' min. safety rail around the deck. and NONE of this may exceed your current roof line, and no matter what it ends up looking like an addition
Cost roughly is
plans $1200
permits $1000
build out $25k (for worst case truss direction)
so budget $30k
my best suggestion is if the trusses run front to rear......and I am assuming we are talking about a older home with a 2 car wide 26' deep garage would be to tear out the current garage and put a 2 car wide 10' ceiling (=16' x 9' garage door) garage as deep as you can afford and you get one hell of a view deck.

Mandelon
12-03-2006, 06:21 PM
it depends solely on the direction of your current trusses, if it's gable style running front to rear, it becomes very hard to do the addition at the rear, trying to slip a 20' long beam under your current trusses is no easy task, if the trusses run side to side then it's easy. what you do end up with though is a internal opening identical to the front at the garage door.
the view deck isn't so simple it requires me to put TGI trusses every 1' rather than every 2' and a min of 3/4" sheet I prefer to use 1-1/8" sheet, and it requires a 3' min. safety rail around the deck. and NONE of this may exceed your current roof line, and no matter what it ends up looking like an addition
Cost roughly is
plans $1200
permits $1000
build out $25k (for worst case truss direction)
so budget $30k
my best suggestion is if the trusses run front to rear......and I am assuming we are talking about a older home with a 2 car wide 26' deep garage would be to tear out the current garage and put a 2 car wide 10' ceiling (=16' x 9' garage door) garage as deep as you can afford and you get one hell of a view deck.
Hmmm, $30K huh? (20 x 15) is 300 sq ft. That's $100 a foot.

HatenWinter
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Summitkarl, thanks alot! Thats exactly what I was looking for. You hit the nail on the head, it's a 5 year old home, 2 car 27' deep garage, trusses run front to rear. I was afraid the 20' header would be a problem. I was also thinking of tearing it down and starting over like you were saying, would the cost be about the same or am I kidding myself?

SummitKarl
12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Summitkarl, thanks alot! Thats exactly what I was looking for. You hit the nail on the head, it's a 5 year old home, 2 car 27' deep garage, trusses run front to rear. I was afraid the 20' header would be a problem. I was also thinking of tearing it down and starting over like you were saying, would the cost be about the same or am I kidding myself?
add about...$3k for demo of the old garage, and lets call it about $65-$70 a sq ft total under roof for a 10' ceiling, I can't make a real assessment without my contractor seeing the job, but I am sure I am guessing on the high side for safety
so 20' x depth x $65 +3k, there might be other things to consider if say the breaker box is on the garage wall or the water main into the house, but those are minor cost adders to move

HatenWinter
12-03-2006, 08:31 PM
If I'm running the numbers right, that's over $50,000 for a new garage. I think I'm dreaming.......

THE WIDGE
12-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Mine is almost done, 36x25x18w with 11ft door, swamp cooler, ceiling fans, garage opener for 46k. I'll post pics when done.

HatenWinter
12-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Mine is almost done, 36x25x18w with 11ft door, swamp cooler, ceiling fans, garage opener for 46k. I'll post pics when done.
Thanks, I'd like to see it.

UnionJack
12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I used Paramount Construction in Havasu, and Dan the Owner and his crew did a great job, I added 13' depth and 15' wide pm me if your interest for his info

HatenWinter
12-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I used Paramount Construction in Havasu, and Dan the Owner and his crew did a great job, I added 13' depth and 15' wide pm me if your interest for his info
PM sent