PDA

View Full Version : MSD Question

flattie
06-23-2002, 04:25 PM
Today I lost spark for my ignition system. I have no power to the coil witch comes from the MSD box I was wondering if there are any fuses inside of that box or should I just order a new one and get this one fixed?

vdriveflat
06-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Flattie, I had the same problem with my 7-al box. Apparently, there are no servicable parts inside, however, there is a test you can run on it. Go to the msd website and they have a troubleshooting guide. If it is bad, you can send in to El Paso, and MSD has a $65.00 maximum for repair.

blowngas
06-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Before u pull the box, make sure u have voltage going to it---if so, then pull it and send it off cause it took a dump---most 6's go out just like turning off a light swithch---be safe and watch out for the other guy

flattie
06-24-2002, 04:41 AM
I had the anchor out and was sitting on the bow and out of no where the engine fires just like on christine then keeps trying to turn over. I disconected the ingition finially I had to disconect the wire going to the starter. It had me in a panic. then the embarassing tow in.

DetroitJim
06-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Flattie, you say it cranked while you were not in it? Bizarro! But this cannot have originated in the MSD, it has no connection to the starter. Most likely your ignition key or solenoid fried itself and shorted out to the crank terminal, then other things fried. You had better go over everything and then get fuses on all key circuits as well as a main breaker. And best not leave it in gear for a while!!!
DJ

PGF545
06-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Double check all the conections from the point/crank trigger to the box, we had one fail one time while warming up the boat before first round...luckly we found it and were able to run. Also you might try to run a wire directly from a power source to the ign terminal on the box (remove the existing wire from that terminal)....but use an alligator type clip on one end so that you can shut it off if it fires...basically you will be bypassing the ign switch to see if the box works. I know that MSD has all the directions on their web site with trouble shooting guides...I use it often...lol.
Bernie

DEL51
06-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Flattie,I have a spare 6al box you can use if you have to send yours out for repair.I also have an msd test box that will fire the box and coil.I have to work this weekend but have the 26th and 27th off.E-mail me if you need some help,DEL51.