PDA

View Full Version : New guy to Jet baots need help......

hallett72
12-03-2006, 11:44 PM
New to Jet boats, got my hands on a '72 Hallett race v-bottom hull. Not sure on the length yet but it looks like around 18-19 feet. It has full length stringers. It doesn't have a motor so i need some advice on what type and how much power, I'm thinking 383 stroker SBC or a 454 BBC. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. It will be used mostly for cruising and skiing with of course some high speed driving here and there. It has a Berkeley Jet drive model number 12JA-B-H, which i haven't found yet so any info would be helpful, with what i was told an "A" Impeller. Thanks for any help
Jon

Jetaholic
12-04-2006, 12:18 AM
New to Jet boats, got my hands on a '72 Hallett race v-bottom hull. Not sure on the length yet but it looks like around 18-19 feet. It has full length stringers. It doesn't have a motor so i need some advice on what type and how much power, I'm thinking 383 stroker SBC or a 454 BBC. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. It will be used mostly for cruising and skiing with of course some high speed driving here and there. It has a Berkeley Jet drive model number 12JA-B-H, which i haven't found yet so any info would be helpful, with what i was told an "A" Impeller. Thanks for any help
Jon
Hey there. I'd go with the 454 BBC. This seems to be the fav engine amongst jet boaters. A 455 Olds will get you to 5,000RPM max, but anything above that you'll spin bearings if the motor's not built to sustain high RPMs for any amount of time. They're great for pulling skiers out of the water though since they're more of a low range torquer motor. A 454 will spin 5,000 all day long without a worry, plus they also have plenty of torque for pulling skiers as well.
You'll also wanna get a Place Diverter (aka Jetovator) for throwing rooster tails. With the split bowl, you can put a droop snoot on and wedge it...then you'll wanna bust out the grinder for those mile high rooster tails.
Have fun!
Jon

Cas
12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
did you buy the one off Craigslist? If I remember correctly, it was kind of in the San Jose area?

MudPumper
12-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Lets see some Pics.

hallett72
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey thanks jetaholic for your info. See i'm really into hot rods and i have a SBC and BBC already sitting in my garage. Now i just need to figure out what one. Cas no i didn't get it off craigs list but i think i know the one your talking about and that was a really nice boat. Grey and silver he made a reference to the Raiders. My boat need lots of work but don't worry mudpumper and the rest of you i wll post some pics once i figure out how to do it. Also can you guys recomend some part houses / websites that can help me out with cables, sealing kits for the berkeley, motor mounts and headers. Thanks guys
Jon

MudPumper
12-04-2006, 10:03 AM
If you already have pics, you can email them to me and I'll put em up for you. Also, the only way to go is with the Big Block.
MWoolner2@hotmail.com

Cas
12-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Jon,
Tom at Jet Boat Performance (http://www.jetboatperformance.com) in Atascadero has really good pricing and is a lot of help. www.tewco.com (http://www.tewco.com) has cables (except steering), speak with Chad.
where you located?

SmokinLowriderSS
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Jon
According to that tag, it is an old Berk, 12J, model "A". That's not a bad thing. Impeller was originally a "B", only way to be certain now is to pull the bowl off and measure the impeller. At Berk there is a picture of the measurements of each cut.
Berkley impeller selection page (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/impeller-info.htm)
I would go 454, but, if you push the 383 HARD, you can keep even , to a point. Your intended use is the use my Taylor has seen for 28 years, and my 454 is by no means too small, or too big.
I just posted a 454 build in Gear Heads, "New/Old 454" thread, It's long so I am not gonna repost here. That build, single carb, with the right heads and a moderate cam, should be worth very close to 600 HP, arround 5500RPM, turnkey. It does demand either Stage 1 ported factory iron or perhaps ported, at least cleaned up aftermarket heads and headers, Over or Through Transom.
Gear Heads Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134497)

GUGS102
12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I've got a 78 full stringer hallett. Strong hull, not light. Mine is 1000lb with just the tanks in it.
As for the motor, no doubt put in the big block. With a stock 454 mine ran about 60 at 4600 RPM with an A impeller.
I'm now running a 496 roller motor and it runs about 75ish (still working on the set up)
Great info and help on these boards. I've got a set of 3.5" logs if you decide to go thru the transom on the exhaust.
Post some pics and I'm sure you'll get the info you want and some not asked for...

Jetaholic
12-04-2006, 12:55 PM
According to Vin-Dog...
There is this unwritten law that the boat MUST have OT headers if it's a jet boat. :crossx:

GUGS102
12-04-2006, 01:00 PM
According to Vin-Dog...
There is this unwritten law that the boat MUST have OT headers if it's a jet boat. :crossx:
If the insurance won't touch it... I went with TT headers instead, still friggin hot but work much better and the boat is insured.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
My TT jacketed headers stay surface cooler than my logs did. I don't know why, but they do.

beerjet
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
If the insurance won't touch it... I went with TT headers instead, still friggin hot but work much better and the boat is insured.
I couldn't get mine insured because of the year alone. Never even get to the OT headers.
-beerjet-

Cas
12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I did the same thing! Not only that, I really enjoy that fact my ears don't ring because of the noise.

hallett72
12-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey to all you guys out there thanks. This is like a big family of jet boat owners isn't it. I live in nor-Cal. over by the delta (antioch/concord). There are tons of great lakes near me to go have fun at. My favorites are Hogans, and Bereyesa. Sorry to all you hard core guys with your open headers which i think are bad ass (I used to run open headers on one of my hot rods) but i'm going to go with through the transome with some logs to keep the niose down, i would like to have a great day on the lake and not have a ringing in my ear on the way home. As for the motor you are convencing me of the BBC but it is a 2 bolt main so it might just be a temporary motor for now. Thanks for the heads up on the thread for the BBC build up. As for pics i have only had the boat for less then a week so i will get some out here. I can figure that headers are better then logs but about how much can the logs support 400-500 Hp BBC.

ironman44bear
12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
454 good choice , I'm in the process of building my 454 for my project 75 tahiti. Hope to have it back in the next couple of weeks so i can start slappin' the short block together. still have to finish the port work on the heads though. Post some pics of that boat so we can check it out.....
ironman

Cas
12-04-2006, 11:57 PM
there's a bunch of us that have been getting together here in NorCal for a few years now. Come join us when you get that thing going....here's a link to some of the outings we've had Past Events (http://www.laidbackboaters.com/id54.htm)
2 bolt mains are fine. There are a lot of people that have been running them for years on their lakes boats without any issues.

hallettman
12-05-2006, 12:22 AM
According to Vin-Dog...
Amen to that, tt exhaust is for barges with props

SmokinLowriderSS
12-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Hey to all you guys out there thanks. This is like a big family of jet boat owners isn't it. I live in nor-Cal. over by the delta (antioch/concord). There are tons of great lakes near me to go have fun at. My favorites are Hogans, and Bereyesa. Sorry to all you hard core guys with your open headers which i think are bad ass (I used to run open headers on one of my hot rods) but i'm going to go with through the transome with some logs to keep the niose down, i would like to have a great day on the lake and not have a ringing in my ear on the way home. As for the motor you are convencing me of the BBC but it is a 2 bolt main so it might just be a temporary motor for now. Thanks for the heads up on the thread for the BBC build up. As for pics i have only had the boat for less then a week so i will get some out here. I can figure that headers are better then logs but about how much can the logs support 400-500 Hp BBC.
I think you're gonna play hell trying to get more than 450HP with logs on, but the set I was running were only 2.5" outlet so mine may have been worse than the 3.5" set offered here.
My thru-transom headers are louder than the logs were, but nobody has been objecting, not the wife, kids, friends, their kids, I have no way to do comparison measurements, but it is not THAT MUCH louder. I think the 4" outlets to match the headers are as much to blame as the headers themselves, and I am running an enclosed engine, which helps more yet.
Yea, that 2-bolt block will only tolerate 700 horses or so. If it worries you that much, have it converted to 4-bolt, but I wouldn't waste the time or $$$.
4-bolt conversion for $300 (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109240)

Jetaholic
12-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Vin-Dog is only running a 2-bolt main and he spins his motor at 52-5300 RPM all day long and doesn't hurt a thing. I may be building a clone of his motor...decided the Olds isn't a "built for speed" motor over the BBC.

Cheap Thrills
12-05-2006, 07:10 AM
According to that tag, it is an old Berk, 12J, model "A". That's not a bad thing. Impeller was originally a "B",
Yep, The only bad thing about the 12JA pump is that there's no rear seal on the thrust bearing and you have to shoot it some grease quite often.
I always hit mine with a pump or two before each outing.
Good Luck .
T.

hallett72
12-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Yep, The only bad thing about the 12JA pump is that there's no rear seal on the thrust bearing and you have to shoot it some grease quite often.
Good Luck .
T.
Were would i put the grease in at, is there zerk fitting somewhere on it that i don't see. Also is there a way to update the pump so it has a seal on the rear of the thrust bearing.

hallett72
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I think you're gonna play hell trying to get more than 450HP with logs on, but the set I was running were only 2.5" outlet so mine may have been worse than the 3.5" set offered here.
My thru-transom headers are louder than the logs were, but nobody has been objecting, not the wife, kids, friends, their kids, I have no way to do comparison measurements, but it is not THAT MUCH louder. I think the 4" outlets to match the headers are as much to blame as the headers themselves, and I am running an enclosed engine, which helps more yet.
Yea, that 2-bolt block will only tolerate 700 horses or so. If it worries you that much, have it converted to 4-bolt, but I wouldn't waste the time or $$$.
4-bolt conversion for $300 (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109240)
Yeah it looks like I should be fine with my two bolt maybe just some good main cap studs. I'm trying to get a hold of gugs102 to see how much he would be willing to sell them to me for. Yeah I still want the boat to have a nice exhaust note but don't want the LE after me. Not sure if it comes with risers so I might need to get some of them too.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Good Luck .
T.
I was unaware of that CT, thx for the info.

Cheap Thrills
12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Were would i put the grease in at, is there zerk fitting somewhere on it that i don't see. Also is there a way to update the pump so it has a seal on the rear of the thrust bearing.
The zerk should be in front of the thrust bearing on the top of the bearing cap. That's where mine is. I was thinking about having the pump machined to accept the rear seal but haven't done it and doubt I will.
It seems to be fine the way it is other than slinging a little grease.
If you need a pic of the zerk I can go out and snap one and post it for ya.
Cheers.
T.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Any noise tests are done at idle, per the laws that are out there. That means OT headers are DRY, and mine are 2" UNDER WATER. If I open the hood, the carb suck-in noise is louder than my exhaust note. No way I am getting cited for noise with mine. :)
My idle noise is possibly actually quieter since the same gasses are exiting a larger opening, at lower velocity.
If for some reason you have logs and no snails/riserts, you are begging for nightmares, expensive nightmares. And the risers are only arround $500 a set new. :cry:

Cheap Thrills
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I was unaware of that CT, thx for the info.
You're welcome. I find it very strange that they put a seal on the front of the bearing and not put one on the rear. I think the JA shaft has a larger diameter behind the thrust bearing too. So if I was to machine the housing to accept the seal provided in the kit I would also have to have the shaft turned down also. Hence the reason I haven't done anything to it.
It's all about the Cheap Thrill with me. Hell If I could kick a peddle boat to 60 Mph I would be riding one of those fockers instead of a jet :p :D
T.

Cheap Thrills
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Not the best pic but the best I could do on short notice :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127zerk2-med.JPG
T.

hallett72
12-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Not the best pic but the best I could do on short notice :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127zerk2-med.JPG
T.
Hey it's good enough of me, i get the idea. What would be a good grease to use.

Cheap Thrills
12-06-2006, 02:22 AM
That's a matter of opinion, one person like this the other likes that . kinda like the Chevy /Ford debate. ( Note I put Chevy first :p) What ever you use petrolium based / synthetic be sure to stay with one or the other and not mix them. I've seen grease harden up like wax when they were mixed , not good.
If that boat has been sitting a while it would be a good idea to tear down the pump and put a rebuild kit in it. not ness. but better to spend a little now than it is to get it on the water to find out the thrust bearing is shot and the packing seals are hardened up and eating into the shaft. Ask me how I know. :D I bought a complete rebuild kit a while back that included everything inc. the impellor and wear ring for around $350. it's alot cheaper without them.
Any good quality HP grease will be fine for the thrust bearing
and good 80/90 lube for the bowl bearings. (flame suit on)
Good Luck
T.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-06-2006, 03:24 AM
That's a matter of opinion, one person like this the other likes that . kinda like the Chevy /Ford debate. ( Note I put Chevy first :p) What ever you use petrolium based / synthetic be sure to stay with one or the other and not mix them. I've seen grease harden up like wax when they were mixed , not good.
If that boat has been sitting a while it would be a good idea to tear down the pump and put a rebuild kit in it. not ness. but better to spend a little now than it is to get it on the water to find out the thrust bearing is shot and the packing seals are hardened up and eating into the shaft. Ask me how I know. :D I bought a complete rebuild kit a while back that included everything inc. the impellor and wear ring for around $350. it's alot cheaper without them.
Any good quality HP grease will be fine for the thrust bearing
and good 80/90 lube for the bowl bearings. (flame suit on)
Good Luck
T.
Yep, likely good advice if the boat has been down for a good deal of time. The rebuild kit is very cheap including the aluminum impeller and Duane's Ultimate Wear Ring, which I think is the best one to run. I think w/o the impeller it's arround $210, and the impeller is more than $150 so it's a nice discount.
I think the general concensus on the grease is the red stuff, either syn or regular, I pick mine up on visits to see Duane, about a tube every 3 years or so. Doesn't cost me anything extra, and it hasn't burnt out a thrust bearing yet so what he carries can't be too much of a ripoff.
I happen to keep 85/140 wt GL-5 laying arround for the vehicles, so I use it, but 80/90 is what the mfr advises and as far as I care, go pick a brand, makes no difference.
Some pumps use, and some have been modified to use GREASE in the rear bearing, some don't use oil, just pressurized bleed water from the bowl thu the bearing.

hallett72
12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I have posted a thread that has some pics of my boat. It is called pics of my boat. Enjoy and feel free to give me opinions. Thanks
Jon

uselessgrant
12-13-2006, 02:35 AM
go ahead and put in the zz383 crate from gm.. them let me know how it does cause that is what i want to put in my cheetah.. need passenger room 455 olds too big.:argue:

Jetaholic
12-13-2006, 06:45 AM
go ahead and put in the zz383 crate from gm.. them let me know how it does cause that is what i want to put in my cheetah.. need passenger room 455 olds too big.:argue:
The new guy to jet boats asks what motor to go with...I'm assuming he's looking to see what experience people have had with Chevy, Ford and Olds, yet you go and tell him to get a motor that you yourself haven't even tried yet, just so you can find out how the motor does for your own boat!? How selfish! I don't think the guy wants his boat to be anyone's "test dummy". :crossx:

roostwear
12-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Don't know if this shows any more than the other pic that was posted... maybe just another perspective. This is the JA in my Stevens.
http://www.roostwear.com/stevens/engine%20006.jpg

hallett72
12-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Don't know if this shows any more than the other pic that was posted... maybe just another perspective. This is the JA in my Stevens.
http://www.roostwear.com/stevens/engine%20006.jpg
Hey thanks roostwear, but take a look at this pics and tell me what you think, i have a split bowl when a JA has a one piece bowl, and my nozzle looks different from most and i don't have a hook up for a rudder, any help would be great. More photos on my other thread PICS OF MY BOAT.

hallett72
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
here they are roostwear i couldn't get them to show up on the last post. Also if you could tell me how to post them without leaving a link and actually have a photo would be great.

Moneypitt
12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Hallet72, see those pipe plugs on the bowl? Those are the oil fill holes. Pull them both out, and fill one side until it runs out the other, then re cap.......MP

hallett72
12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Hallet72, see those pipe plugs on the bowl? Those are the oil fill holes. Pull them both out, and fill one side until it runs out the other, then re cap.......MP
Thanks for the info about the two plugs, that was my next question but what kind of oil do i put in there, Like 10w-30 or more like rear end gear lube. Thanks
Jon

roostwear
12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey thanks roostwear, but take a look at this pics and tell me what you think, i have a split bowl when a JA has a one piece bowl, and my nozzle looks different from most and i don't have a hook up for a rudder, any help would be great. More photos on my other thread PICS OF MY BOAT.
Well, not exactly. My JA has a split bowl, too. You have to remember my boat is quite a bit older than yours.... my bowl is INSIDE the hull.
http://www.roostwear.com/stevens/pump7.jpg
A JC has a one piece bowl.

Jetaholic
12-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info about the two plugs, that was my next question but what kind of oil do i put in there, Like 10w-30 or more like rear end gear lube. Thanks
Jon
More like a rear end gear lube, like say 80-90W.
Jon

hallett72
12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey Roostwear thanks for the more pics, it looks like you have a same nozzle and everything like me but in better condition. I thought i was told that i should have a one piece bowl. Even when i go to berkeley's web site they don't sell parts (gaskets, seals, impellers) for the 12JA, is there a nother model that i can exchange parts off of. Is it original or have you repainted it and if you have what would be a good paint.

roostwear
12-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I stripped and painted the pump, bowl and nozzle with epoxy. Made the Berkley decal for the nozzle, too.
As far as I know, the main difference between the JA and JG/C is the seal around the input shaft, and reverse chute on the nozzle. Bowl and nozzle gaskets, impeller, bushings, etc. are the same as other Berks. Of course the JC (one piece bowl) doesn't use a nozzle gasket since the socket is part of the bowl.