PDA

View Full Version : GPS Systems...Need Input

Hallett19
12-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm looking at GPS systems for the car. I really like these Garmin Nuvi units. The 350 is probably enough for what I will be using it for, but the 660 is hard core, but almost $1k.
Does anyone have any of these pocket GPS, handheld/mountable that they have had experience with and like ?
This is the 350
http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/graphics/pt-nuviSmall.jpg
And the 660
http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660/graphics/pt-nuvi660rf-lg.jpg

MUDXPRT
12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I have the nuvi 350 it works awesome, plus it is portable bring it with you in the boat and check it against your speedo.

STV_Keith
12-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I've kept stepping up over the years. Started with a Garmin GPS 3+, then the GPS 5 deluxe and just moved to the 276c. A really nice unit, but not as expensive as those.

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I just bought a Lowrance Expedition C for handheld use and got on the waiting list with Lowrance for the IWay 600c. It is absolutely the balls. It has satellite imagery built in for major cities and areas, with grid overlays and turn by turn mapping. Additionally, you can plug in the lakes and streams chip and it drops down to gnats-ass on our rivers and lakes. You can also load topo in and navigate off road with it.
We are thinking about offering it as an addition to the Revolution to anyone interested. I will probably build a nice billet bracket for it and mount it right on the dash.
Not that it is applicable for us, but it also holds MP3's on a SD card and can play back through your stereo. It might be cool on the Rhino though.
That is the plan though, add something that you can use in the boat, the truck, the motorhome and the Rhino/rail. This suits all of them and is about $800 retail.

beyondhelpin
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Have the Magellan Roadmate 700. Very easy to use. Large touch screen, 20 gig hard drive. Went to Montana this fall and it even had all of the mountain logging roads on it. It is basicly the same as the Hertz Neverlost System. A downside is the lack of ability to set a waypoint.

Blacksheep
12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
My dad just purchased the Garmin Nuvi 660 and we played with it over Thanksgiving. It's a great little GPS unit and a nice size for portability. It has some nice little added features that you don't typically expect on a GPS receiver like a calculator, translator (words and phrases) and a few other things. I think it's well worth the money.

Sportin' Wood
12-05-2006, 06:44 AM
I had a hand held Megellan for a few years and had terrible luck using it. Last year I bought a Lowrance off road unit and have found it is very simple to use. That being said I would take a strong look at anything Lowrance makes. I am very satisfied with the unit and my pop tells me he had great luck with his lowrance stuff in his sail boat for years.

Hallett19
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I'll check out the Lowrance stuff. :)

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I'll check out the Lowrance stuff. :)
I might know a guy who knows a guy who can get a good deal on Lowrance... ;)

OGShocker
12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I might know a guy who knows a guy who can get a good deal on Lowrance... ;)
I'd rather have a tooth pulled than own a Lowchance...:D Sorry if that was too harsh. We use a lot of Garmin's OEM products and they are a joy to work with. Please continue..... :crossx:

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I'd rather have a tooth pulled than own a Lowchance...:D Sorry if that was too harsh. We use a lot of Garmin's OEM products and they are a joy to work with. Please continue..... :crossx:
I am looking at a 276c and a Vista Cx on my desk right now. I already own the Garmin MapSource software. I already have the cables... I have used the Garmin exclusively and was issued one as a SEAL. I even have a hookup with Garmin who wants to sell us the units for the boats.
I bought the Lowrance.
You must hate your teeth. The Lowrance navigation software is in 3d, has detailed maps of lakes and rivers and has satelite pictures of the metropolitan areas with overlays. Additionally, all of the Lowrance maps are in 7.5" resolution as opposed to 1:100000 for the Garmin. Lastly, the Lowrance has double the screen resolution and a better backlight.
Enjoy your teeth... I will be over here with the superior product.

SandbarScot
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I am looking for one for my wife that gives clear verbal directions. She's not the best map reader :mix:
Which one is best for that?

Hallett19
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
The Garmin units do that, the 350 and the 660

SandbarScot
12-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Garmin. Got it, thanks.

Troy McClure
12-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I am looking at a 276c and a Vista Cx on my desk right now. I already own the Garmin MapSource software. I already have the cables... I have used the Garmin exclusively and was issued one as a SEAL. I even have a hookup with Garmin who wants to sell us the units for the boats.
I bought the Lowrance.
You must hate your teeth. The Lowrance navigation software is in 3d, has detailed maps of lakes and rivers and has satelite pictures of the metropolitan areas with overlays. Additionally, all of the Lowrance maps are in 7.5" resolution as opposed to 1:100000 for the Garmin. Lastly, the Lowrance has double the screen resolution and a better backlight.
Enjoy your teeth... I will be over here with the superior product.
I just bought the Garmin 276c...rebate and all. First time with a GPS but was not too impressed with the TOPO software or the Inland lakes software. It would be more impressive if it had the 7.5 minute maps (thought it did ??) Still pretty neat for my first unit, didn't look at the Lowrance units though.