PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline dangers?

mmered8299
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
The kids want a Trampoline for Christmas but I'm worried that they will get hurt.

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Dig a giant hole in the ground and put the trampoline in there so its ground level. Problem solved. I've seen it before and its pretty cool.

Mandelon
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, broken neck, concussion, paralysis......at least get a fenced one and only allow one kid at a time.
Do a youtube search for trampoline or trampoline accident and see what comes up....
We used to go to trampoline parks when I was a kid. Grandma would take me and you could rent time on big trampolines to get crazy on. Gotta say I won't get one for my kids.

Moe_Havi
12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Had one for about 5 years and was glad to get rid of it. I always thought somebody would get hurt. You will never be able to limit only one kid. For sure get one with sides.
Moe

bohica
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
My homeowners insurance made me get rid of ours.

thumbs
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
No doubt someone will get hurt. Probably and adult that had a few beers and thinks that they can do a backflip.
If they are like most kids it will get used all the time for the first 3 to 4 months. Atfer that it will be like (insert any piece of exercise equipment here) in the garage collecting dust.
If you do get one the hole in the ground thing is a good idea.

Ziggy
12-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Dig a giant hole in the ground and put the trampoline in there so its ground level. Problem solved. I've seen it before and its pretty cool.
My backyard neighbor in Havasu has done that....Seems to help, but Mandy has the biggest tip of : "one at a time" .
My daughter has wanted one but we've not done it, probably won't.

Mandelon
12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
You ever jump off a 6 foot ladder onto the ground landing on your head...."problem solved"... LOL, yeah right.
Maybe if you put it in the middle of a swimming pool, with magic holding it in place so there is no steel frame.....

ChumpChange
12-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Maybe if you put it in the middle of a swimming pool, with magic holding it in place so there is no steel frame.....
You should really think about getting a patent for this idea. :rollside:

essexjet
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
As a paramedic, I saw some of the worst extremity injuries associated with trampolines.

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I bought one when I first moved out of the house in 1990. We duct-taped up the sides of our snowboards and praciced airs for hours on it. I learned how to do all of my aerial tricks using it.
I also broke my foot, my arm, nearly knocked out a tooth and my friend did knock out a tooth with it. I believe that one was trying a drunk "McTwist" which seems a lot more possible than it is. Especially in context.
The real danger is on the rails of it. I saw one chick put her tooth through her lip using her knee because someone was doing the "jump down right before she hits" trick. Very traumatic.
I would steer clear of the trampoline idea... Unless you are dying to have that medical coverage you have been paying for all of these years start to become worth it.

vmjtc3
12-04-2006, 05:54 PM
My son spent a month or so in a neck brace after a trampoline incident. And while it is safe to assume you should not jump off the roof of the house and land on the tramp, that is what caused the neck injury. :220v:

Kilrtoy
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Everyone I know that has owned one, either has broken something or their family members have broke something

phebus
12-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Get them BB guns instead. :)

squirt'nmyload
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
i guess i was lucky.......i had one as a kid, did all kinds of stuff on it and never got hurt.....jumped on it, took snowboard and ski's on it, banged chicks on it, etc...............

squirt'nmyload
12-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Get them BB guns instead. :)
YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragboat
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
So my niece broke her arm when some one landed on her. Her brother broke his ankle/leg. Yea' save some time, buy them some Lawn Darts instead.

rrrr
12-04-2006, 07:11 PM
LMAO, some real positive feedback here. I like the lawn dart idea. :crossx:
You know if the neighbor kid gets hurt.......you're doomed. Nothing like a little lawsuit to brighten the day.

BadKachina
12-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I put ours in the ground, nobody ever got hurt on it. It eventually rotted away in the sun and I threw it out. They have some with safety nets around them too.

SHOTKALLIN
12-04-2006, 07:22 PM
*******************ONE AT A TIME!!!**************
I knocked out my buddy's tooth with my forearm. It jacked up my arm....tetnis shot and stitches.

HOOTER SLED-
12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
All dangers aside..........you can't argue with the "Manshow" factor though. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

RitcheyRch
12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
My Daughter had one for awhile when she lived in Utah. I always hated that thing since was worried she was going to fall off it and break her neck. She used it quite a bit in the beginning and then the fun factor wore off so we sold it.

mmered8299
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Jezzz. I sorry I asked. Ok. Plan B. Thanks.

SnoopJonnyJon
12-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I had one as a teenager. I once landed awkwardly and bent my knee forward which had me hobbling around for about a week. Another time I landed completely off of it flat on my back. Knocked the wind outta me, but was fine. I must add that I went like a complete retard on it, and that's why I was hurting myself. It was fun though. You should get em one.

BadKachina
12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
My dog used to jump on ours. Wierdest thing to see her do that, especially when she was the only one outside.

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Weird, both of my best buddies had them and we were on them everyday for a few years. Jumping out of trees onto them, bouncing eachother. Nobody ever got hurt. They were above ground also, but had the pads over the springs and rails. I guess kids were tougher in my day....kidding! :rollside:

Ryphraph
12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Of course, my wife waited until I was out of town to get one for my kids. She even had it fully assembled before I got home to make it harder to "return" .It has been a couple years and my kids are smaller so no one has gotten hurt yet. I know the home owners insurance guy would sh1t a kitten if he knew it was here.
Ryph

Jbb
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
One trampoline....with a side order of lawn darts....hope you have good insurance... :jawdrop:

HM
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
What is worse than your kid getting hurt (financially speaking) is a neighbor kid getting hurt. Then, when someone sues you your insurance company decides to cancel on you because they didn't know you had it.
Ever see the Simpson's episode where Homer buys a trampoline?.....that is probably as close to real life the simpsons have ever come.

Riomouse911
12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
I had one at my old house, my daughter used to leap on it all the time without incident. It's like anything else, proper use and supervision and it's a great thing, carelessness or improper use leads to injury and potential liability. (sound like PWC, Rhinos, lawn darts, firearms, etc.. huh?)

Partycattin
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
We've had ours for about 8 years. Limit it to 2 kids at a time. Nobody hurt to date. Kids use it all the time. I know a lot of things get used for a short period of time but the kids haven't ever lost interest in jumping.
We rented a jumper thingee for my daughters 1st b-day. After the party was pretty much over, we set the trampoline up in front of the jumper and bounced from the trampoline on top of the jumper. That was fun.... but pretty stupid.
The safety nets seem to help out.

River918
12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I would say check with your insurance company before buying one and go from there. Once you get an insurance quote that might make up your mind...(That is if the horror stories here don't scare you off) . If you don't let them know you have it, that could be like putting a 1,000 hp motor in your boat and telling the insurance company you have a 496.....Chances are they won't cover you in case of an accident.
Personally, I'd never have one...
.02 cents

Baja Big Dog
12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Two words....RYE-NO

RiverPirate
12-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Weve had one for at least 7 years, figured it was cheaper than renting a bouncer 3-4 times a year. Have not had a problem. They use when friends are over, birthday parties, Super Bowl parties etc. We limit the number a kids using it at one time. Boys only and girls only. Even break it down by big kids and little kids. Once you make the rules the kids pretty much take care of themselves. Also put a time limit on them. I am actually looking for a new one with sides.......so if anyone has been scared away by all of the ***** stories and wants to get rid of their new toy shoot me a PM. :p

SIXDAYZ
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
My ten year old just finished eight weeks of immobilization after breaking her arm on one. It was a neighbor's and I didn't even know they had it, otherwise she never would have been on it. And it did have safety netting on the sides. It ruined her soccer season, fall break in Parker (no skiing, wakeboarding, swimming, etc,) and basically made her miserable. Bottom line, don't get one. NOT WORTH IT, and God forbid someone outside your family gets hurt or worse on it.

vee-driven
12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Might as well just get them a pogo stick and take the rubber tip off the bottom. lol ouch.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Might as well just get them a pogo stick and take the rubber tip off the bottom. lol ouch.
LMFAO!!!!

wsuwrhr
12-04-2006, 10:54 PM
This fixes only a few of the problems.
My group of friends and I have spent a considerable amount of time on a trampoline as an adolecent and young adult.
I look back on that time and wonder how none of us received any serious injuries.
Brian

Jordy
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I look back on that time and wonder how none of us received any serious injuries.
I often wonder the same thing. Especially back in the skateboard and BMX days. Seriously hurt meant you sat out for a few minutes, figured out what you did wrong, and tried it again. :D :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I often wonder the same thing. Especially back in the skateboard and BMX days. Seriously hurt meant you sat out for a few minutes, figured out what you did wrong, and tried it again. :D :D :D
Agreed! I never got hurt on a trampoline. Last time I was on one there was 2 ladies and myself. One was a 44d and the other was a 36D. After the gallon of bacardi was gone you could only imagine;) Im all for a trampoline;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I still cant stop laughing at this one:D LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Two words....RYE-NO
With a high horse motor;)

wsuwrhr
12-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I can tell you that, if you jump off the roof of a single story house with a raised foundation, on a skateboard, onto a trampoline, you will pass right THROUGH to the grass below.
Tested and approved for general use.
Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I can tell you that, if you jump off the roof of a single story house with a raised foundation, on a skateboard, onto a trampoline, you will pass right THROUGH to the grass below.
Tested and approved for general use.
Brian
Very interesting:idea: