PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6m-2 box and autometer tach problem

infotraker
06-04-2002, 10:00 PM
I just installed the MSD package (marine dist, 6m-2 ignition control box). I have a Autometer Sport Comp electric tach that now does not work when attached to the msd tach gray wire. The tach wire originally hooked to the minus side of the old coil. This seems to be a voltage triggered tach. Do I need the MSD 8920 tach adaptor or is there another way to get the tach to work ? Thanks for any quick input. I got the tach checked, works on another MSD system. Now need to check wiring and if good need to exchasnge ignition box.
[This message has been edited by infotraker (edited June 07, 2002).]

BadBoyzSkiRacer
06-05-2002, 05:10 AM
hey dude... i had the same problems as u r having now... have you had the MSD checked out.. i had to get mine reapired ... did you connect it with the power on.. if so then you have blown an internal taco fuse.. u WILL need to have the 6m repaired.Good luck

Costello
06-05-2002, 06:48 AM
Info, I may have the tach adapter you can have it if it works. I will need to check later on.

flat broke
06-06-2002, 06:05 AM
If the fuse isn't blown, you might need the tach adapter. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably need the 8910. The 8920 is tyically used when you are using the mag pickup setup on MSD boxes. The general rule of thumb is that if you are triggering off of the white wire, use the 8910, if you are using the violet and green mag pickup connection, use the 8920. If you have the documentation from your setup it should have a compatibility chart for your tach.
Hope that helps,
Chris