PDA

View Full Version : Remote Header Shut Off

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I Thought Of A Way To Shut Off The Water To My Headers If You Guys Are Interested. Pretty Cheap And Easy To Make.it's Just A On /off Set-up,nothing Fancy.
Parts List:
Small Vacuum Canister(to Hold A Reserve Of Vacuum Pressure)
88-93 Gm Truck Egr Vacuum Control Solenoid
Gmc Astro Van Heater Control Valve(can Get In 5/8,1/2,or3/4)
Toggle,wire,vacuum Hose,vacuum Check Valve
Even The Biggest Cam Has Vacuum!enough For This To Work Anyway.
Hook The Canister To A Intake Vacuum Source,check Valve Inline To The Canister,canister Hose To Egr Solenoid,solenoid To Heater Valve.you Can Turn The Vacuum On And Off To The Valve By Dash Toggle Switch To The Egr Solenoid(basic 12volt).it Can Be Put In Frt. Of The T-ball Valve To The Headers And The Heater Valves Take Alot A Internal Pressure And Should Hold Up For A Couple Of Yrs.the Valve Fails To The Open Position, So No Blue Headers!
Already Tried It, Hope It Works On The Lake.only Cost 35.00 To Try Out Anyway.

FASTJTBT
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
The Brass T Valve At The Drivers Seat Been Working For About 35 Years.

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
I KNOW, I KNOW.IT'S ALITTLE OVERBOARD BUT HIDDEN!PLUS YOU CAN SET YOUR FAVORITE FLOW SETTING AND JUST TURN ON/AND OFF FROM THAT WITH A COOL SHINY BUTTON,LOL.

sanger rat
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Got to give you credit for the creativity. :cool: :)

IMPATIENT 1
01-24-2006, 06:18 AM
i'm a 12yr gm master tech, been thinkin about this for awhile so i built one on my bench to see if it would work well. with the canister full of vacuum and source not runnin it will work 10 more times before needing more vacuum source.so it will work as an on flow/off flow remote switch.
we have only one patrol boat that patrols 3 different lakes(texoma,hugo,broken bow)and runnin open headers is never any trouble here.i like to shut off the water to the headers while racin and can't afford those digital control systems(baderlog)and come up with this cheapo fix.
loud boat save lives!!!!

Jeanyus
01-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Me Too.
Got any pics? what does this setup look like?

Rondane
01-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Very creative, hats off to ya! I'd like to see a picture also.

IMPATIENT 1
01-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Very creative, hats off to ya! I'd like to see a picture also.
the boat is tore down for paint now ,but i'll bring this thread back when i get it installed.should work fine.easy to hide small canister and the electric control solenoid,just have of couple vacuum lines exposed.they make braided vacuum line though.

Moneypitt
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I am reminded of the KISS priciple. Trouble free boating almost requires it...MP

Squirtcha?
01-24-2006, 01:30 PM
I like to shut off the water to the headers while racin and can't afford those digital control systems(baderlog)and come up with this cheapo fix.
Like the others, I applaud your ingenuity. However, last year I had an extra set of Bassett headers that were jethotted. Since I didn't have to worry about bluing my regular headers and I had the ability to shut the water off at the headers, I did so for a dozen runs or so. I never gained a thing buy turning the water off. I liked the way it sounded, but that was about it.
I'd be real curious to see what kind of measurable difference it makes for a racer both 1/4 mile times and mph.
After my little seat of the pants/gps test......I can't believe it does a whole lot for performance.

IMPATIENT 1
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Like the others, I applaud your ingenuity. However, last year I had an extra set of Bassett headers that were jethotted. Since I didn't have to worry about bluing my regular headers and I had the ability to shut the water off at the headers, I did so for a dozen runs or so. I never gained a thing buy turning the water off. I liked the way it sounded, but that was about it.
I'd be real curious to see what kind of measurable difference it makes for a racer both 1/4 mile times and mph.
After my little seat of the pants/gps test......I can't believe it does a whole lot for performance.
I JUST DON'T LIKE CLIMBING TO THE BACK TO SHUT EM OFF THEN AFTER A FEW RUNS GOIN BACK AND TRYIN TO SET EM BACK IN THE "SWEET SPOT",KNOW WHAT I MEAN? I DON'T THINK IT HELPS WITH RACIN EITHER BUT I CAN HEAR THE MOTOR BETTER WITH EM OFF.NOTHING LIKE A HARD RUN WITH DRY,OPEN HEADERS AND MASHING DOWN THE NITROUS BUTTON!SHIT GETS SCARY AND LOUD,LOL.

Squirtcha?
01-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I understand the whole remote control concept. I'm just saying I saw no increase in performance and wondered if anybody else saw similar results or I guess lack of results to be more accurate.
If there had been any kind of measurable gains when I tried it, you can bet I'd still be running the jethots with some sort of remote valve to turn the water on and off.
Since I got no gains, I put my chromies back on.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
This is a very good idea! I actually sell parts and was reading your idea while imagining the parts. That is a very good idea and should work well. Too bad I run dry headers:(

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Been there, done that!! First time I forgot to turn the water on, my headers were sky blue :cry: :cry: No I just run em dry all the time :crossx: