PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Ozarks Carnage

XJBones
12-05-2006, 01:11 PM
The ice storm Nov 30th left some severe carnage in its wake. I found a site that has housed several pictures from around the lake. If you like big boats it isn't pretty. Most of these docks were near capacity when they went down.
Click for Carnage (http://di-vo.net/diozarks/)
http://di-vo.net/diozarks/images/Lodge/lodge2.jpg
Bones

acatitude
12-05-2006, 01:13 PM
There are more pics over on OSO. I feel bad for those folks. millions in damage they have said .

Aqua Boogie1
12-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

RandyH
12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
They got it over in St Louis as well. Here are two friends of mine who where in new slips. One is a 45 footer , Searay and the other is a Brand New 500 Searay. His deductable is 10% of value ($780,000). And the Marina is free from Liability. That sucks .
RandyH

Water Romper
12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Man, what a mess. This is the “Ozarks” ?? …would that be in Missouri? Arkansas?
Also, what caused the damage, the weight of the snow, wind and excessive rain? Looks as if the docks weren’t designed for bad weather…but then, in a psycho storm, nothing holds up.
I hope their homes are ok…

Kachina26
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Sad to see, I don't think I'll apply for that engineer job out there after all.

burtandnancy
12-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't know the first thing about snow other than its cold, wet and white. Is there an average weight for a cubic foot of snow, or does it vary too much based on how wet it is? Thats a really terrible sight, have never seen anything like that before...

SmokinLowriderSS
12-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Also, what caused the damage, the weight of the snow, wind and excessive rain? Looks as if the docks weren’t designed for bad weather…but then, in a psycho storm, nothing holds up.
Missouri, south western part. Weight of ice. We get a lot more ice-storms in this area than snow volume. 2 winters ago, we got 3/4" of ice, and then 8" of snow. The ice destroyed trees, took out hundreds of miles of overhead power cables, I had no power for 7 days, except generated. :)
This storm did it again, sleet & freezing rain followed by up to a foot of snow, depending on just where you were in relation to it. My house got about 5 inches, dad's farm where I was hunting, about 8 inches, 12 inches just a bit farther south.
Houises are usually not hurt much, thjose ligght-weight sheet-metal roofings tho at marinas, and occasionally cheapo outbuildings, get crushed under the weight. The wind was pretty mean for this storm too, some gusts over 50 MPH, steady was arround 30 I think.

Water Romper
12-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I spent some time in Missouri when I was a kid visiting distant cousins. We went to a place called “Johnsons Shut-ins” and the Meramec (sp?) Caverns, both were pretty cool however I went in the summer and the humidity almost killed me…and so… in the winter you guys get these friggen freezing storms? Damn. I’ll take the earthquakes :crossx:

Fast Freddy
12-05-2006, 04:38 PM
that sux

mbrown2
12-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Don't mean to make light a dreadful situation, but the following photo just stood out as kind ironic to me....
Kind of like Cockaroaches out-surviving humans in the case of a nuclear blast, the cockaroach of boats, the jet ski, out survives the boats after the winter carnage...
http://di-vo.net/diozarks/images/Porto%20Cima/j7.jpg

maxwedge
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
An electrician that works for us had his Fountain there and thought he got off lucky with only about $45,000 in damage. Lot's of really expensive boats destroyed, damaged or sunk. He said there was a brand new 06 Carver worth about $750K right by his slip that sank to the bottom. He also said 30% of the docks at the lake had collapsed several more boats will go down before they can pull the debris off them. I'm guessing almost everything that was in a slip there this time of year is large and expensive.

Hardly Satisfied
12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
That's alot of snow

XJBones
12-06-2006, 05:57 PM
We are in central MO though the Ozarks do run down into northern AR.
Not many homes were among the damaged structures. If anyone does any business with Percy's Racing, their building was one that collapsed.
The damage that happened to the docks was due to the weight of the ice more than the snow. Here in Camdenton we got about an inch and a half to two inches of pelleted ice then another 8-12" of snow that drifted heavily on the south side of any structure. The wind actually kept most of the snow off many of the docks or thing would have been even worse.
Bones

XJBones
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
They got it over in St Louis as well. Here are two friends of mine who where in new slips. One is a 45 footer , Searay and the other is a Brand New 500 Searay. His deductable is 10% of value ($780,000). And the Marina is free from Liability. That sucks .
RandyH
In Central MO we got lucky; our pre-snow precipitation came down as ice instead of freezing rain. That allowed the trees and power lines to survive here. Eastern MO got the freezing rain. The radio said that nearly 100K people are still without power in St Louis and surrounding areas.
Most marinas seem to exclude stuff like this in the fine print of the slip rental agreements. It sucks, but it's a CYA world anymore. Hopefully most people have decent Ins.
Bones

XJBones
12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I spent some time in Missouri when I was a kid visiting distant cousins. We went to a place called “Johnsons Shut-ins” and the Meramec (sp?) Caverns, both were pretty cool however I went in the summer and the humidity almost killed me…and so… in the winter you guys get these friggen freezing storms? Damn. I’ll take the earthquakes :crossx:
Johnson Shut-ins was nearly erased from the map by a dam failure of the upper Taum Saulk reservoir. Ameren Electric (owner of the res) is forking out big bucks to try and make it right (In the neighborhood of $15 Million).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/Taum_Sauk_upper_aerial-USGS-Picture037.jpg
Link one to dam failure report (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_Dam_Failure)
Another one (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/?n=taumsaukdamfailure)
Bones

XJBones
12-06-2006, 06:34 PM
An electrician that works for us had his Fountain there and thought he got off lucky with only about $45,000 in damage. Lot's of really expensive boats destroyed, damaged or sunk. He said there was a brand new 06 Carver worth about $750K right by his slip that sank to the bottom. He also said 30% of the docks at the lake had collapsed several more boats will go down before they can pull the debris off them. I'm guessing almost everything that was in a slip there this time of year is large and expensive.
Mungenast marina was reported to have one boat that went down worth in the neighborhood of $2mil. Each day it seems more boats continue to sink. The last couple of days have been above freezing so some of the sunken docks are starting to recover, though with the collapsed docks it will be a long time before everyone recovers.
This is probably one of the few disasters that hit the rich more than the middle and lower economic classes (as Katrina did) since most of the damage is to expensive toys, so recovery won't be as "painful" as with last years Hurricanes.
Bones

VESSEL ASSIST
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
That is crazy!!!
Thanks for the pic's.

squirt'nmyload
12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
hate to see that.....growing up in pittsburgh we NEVER left our family boat in the water during the winter....the marina would pull it out, winterize it and store it.