PDA

View Full Version : XR Imco 525 or 575 I am Confused

zbestfam
01-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I bought a deck boat without an engine or drive and I am looking at all of the options and cant figure out what I should do. I dont have 40k to spend on a drive and engine package but need one to make the boat go. I could use some suggestions. I have surfed the net and it has just made it worse. Need some help Plz. the boat is a 28' cat deck boat it has never had a drive or motor so the back is not cut yet.
Thanks again in advance,
zbestfam

Phat Matt
01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
What deck boat is it and how fast do you want to go?

zbestfam
01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
it is a Aftershock 282 I would like to go about 70 to 80 its a family boat
zbestfam

Beer-30
01-24-2006, 08:21 AM
525 / XR.
Turn key, Warranty.

Phat Matt
01-24-2006, 09:12 AM
525 / XR.
Turn key, Warranty.
You should be within that speed with that set up depending how loaded down you are. If you can afford it, that's what I would do.
Good luck.

Havasu47
01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I bought a deck boat without an engine or drive and I am looking at all of the options and cant figure out what I should do. I dont have 40k to spend on a drive and engine package but need one to make the boat go. I could use some suggestions. I have surfed the net and it has just made it worse. Need some help Plz. the boat is a 28' cat deck boat it has never had a drive or motor so the back is not cut yet.
Thanks again in advance,
zbestfam
The only way you are going to get away with a complete engine pakage for less than 40K is to search around for a used take out when someone has upgraded to bigger power and drives. I dont think you will find a new setup with warranty (525 pakage for example) in the price range you mention. Good luck in your search.

paradigm shift
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks again in advance,
zbestfam
Try looking over here. Great people here on HB but these guys do lots of upgrading and have more of what you are looking for in parts. Shop around there are deals out there if you have cash.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/index.php?
Your best bet is someone upgrading and this is a good time of year to be looking. I agree on the 525 but they can be pricy. A 496HO would be a nice package but not as fast. Are you looking for something with a warranty? If not there are many motor options open. Just remember you do not need just a motor but all the rigging to go with it which is why a take out motor can be a good value as you get everything if you shop right. Sounds like a great project and good luck.

Phat Matt
01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Here you go. 575 w/ XR for $30k.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8413.html

zbestfam
01-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks you guys I could use some more links and any other suggestions.. What about a non EFI motor??

Phat Matt
01-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks you guys I could use some more links and any other suggestions.. What about a non EFI motor??
Last time I checked that 575 was not EFI. :)

zbestfam
01-25-2006, 01:31 PM
You are right the 575 is non EFI I thought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??

HALLETT BOY
01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
You are right the 575 is non EFI I tought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??
The 575 was throttle body EFI, 525 is port injected EFI ....almost bought a boat with the 575, researched it and it seems to be a good engine...

Phat Matt
01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
You are right the 575 is non EFI I tought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??
I have a friend who has one in his 28' Eliminator open bow tall deck. He tops out at about 75mph, but his boat is pretty heavy.

zbestfam
01-25-2006, 08:23 PM
I called on the 575 today. They are going to get back to me on availability. Before I go for it I want to make sure it will fit in my boat or will I need a scoop. I will have to get some dimentions on that engine. I also called on a 525 If you had your choice and price was the same what would you all do??
thanks all
zbestfam

Phat Matt
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I called on the 575 today. They are going to get back to me on availability. Before I go for it I want to make sure it will fit in my boat or will I need a scoop. I will have to get some dimentions on that engine. I also called on a 525 If you had your choice and price was the same what would you all do??
thanks all
zbestfam
That kind of a tough call. The 525 is a newer engine. The 575 has more power as is. The 525 can be built up for more power. I guess it would come down to how many hours were on them and if they were complete set ups.
Good luck.

Beer-30
01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
The 575 is TB injected. Merc doesn't build any non-injected motors anymore.

zbestfam
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
ok on the 575 and the xr what prop would you use?? The 575 looks like the motor I will be getting.
Thanks for all the help
zbestfam

paradigm shift
01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
If it were me I would talk to aftershock on drive height - prop set up when you decide what motor you are going to run. They should be able to get you real close. 525 vs 575 is a nice choice to have as both are great motors in my opinion.
My points only you have decide if they are good or bad for your apllication. If I was looking for turn key lower maintenace - operating cost I would go with the 525 but again that is just me. Sacrafice a couple MPH.
1. Closed cooling - Not required but is a real nice perk even if you do not plan on running in salt.
2. Runs on regular 87 octane gas!
3. 525 has the new ECM controller.
4. A little less HP but much more fuel efficient.
5. Easier on Bravo drive parts.
1. Blower - fuel injection just plain cool.
2. More HP but more fuel. They are known to be thirsty. High Octane 92-93
3. Not an issue but they have a flat tappet cam not roller.
4. More maintenance / more dollars to run.
5. Change a pulley - add and inner-cooler and reprogram ECM and pick up measurable amount of HP pretty easy. Did I say more fuel.
6. Will take a little more room up front for blower pulleys.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Andy

zbestfam
01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
ok THANKS for all the help I called today and bought a 575 with a xr DWP drive. I will keep you all up to date as the build goes on. With out the link to offshore only I would have not gotten it. THANKS AGAIN
Joe
Zbestfam :rollside:

Beer-30
02-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Yeah, SuperChiller has a nice upgrade kit for that motor. Another 70-80HP, I believe. All bolt on.

Phat Matt
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
ok THANKS for all the help I called today and bought a 575 with a xr DWP drive. I will keep you all up to date as the build goes on. With out the link to offshore only I would have not gotten it. THANKS AGAIN
Joe
Zbestfam :rollside:
Cool. Should be a nice little set up. :cool: