PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Octane Testing...

Froggystyle
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Anyone know anyone who does this? I am having a hell of a time finding someone.
I thought we had it all taken care of, and now we don't. So...
Bottom line is this, I need someone in the San Diego area I can take a little sample of fuel to and have the octane tested. I have a suspicion that we lost some octane over a storage period and need to know for sure.
If I do find out this is the case, there will be a new sticky thread on here regarding it...

Froggystyle
12-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Nobody huh? I thought there were a bunch of CE's on here...

RiverDave
12-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Looking on the internet for some stuff... haven't found anything yet, but I did find this which was an interesting read. (Note I didn't fact verify it, but I can't imagine someone writing something this in depth and having it come up bullshiat.)
https://home.pacbell.net/sfnelson/fuel__detonation__preignition__etc_.html
I was hoping they'd have something like this but for octane in normal fuel not diesel.
http://www.dieselcraft.com/productinfo_4.htm
RD

Bense468
12-05-2006, 03:34 PM
CTC: California Analytical Laboratory
Los Angeles Petroleum Chemical Laboratory
San Francisco Petroleum Chemical Laboratory
OCTANE TESTING (http://www.intertek-cb.com/newsitetest/services/petrotesting/octanetesting.shtml)

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Next time keep the drum off the concrete and keep it sealed.
Shame on you.
Brian

Froggystyle
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Next time keep the drum off the concrete and keep it sealed.
Shame on you.
Brian
Well, the "drum" was a 125 gallon fuel tank in the boat, and they are regulated to be vented... so there you go.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, the "drum" was a 125 gallon fuel tank in the boat, and they are regulated to be vented... so there you go.
Shame on you again.

77charger
12-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Bring it buy and i'll run it in the boat i'll let you know once it is all burned off. :crossx:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Dump it in Laters lawn:idea: i think there are a few peeps on here that would handle that for ya:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Bring it buy and i'll run it in the boat i'll let you know once it is all burned off. :crossx:
Yeah, after you add nitro to bring up the octane:D

Froggystyle
12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't think it is good for much except cleaning parts right now...

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
My motorhome will burn that shit up in no time.

Froggystyle
12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
My motorhome will burn that shit up in no time.
Bring it down for the 125 gallon fill up.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Bring it down for the 125 gallon fill up.
I'll need directions so I can see your operation down there.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
parts washer, that would be a good idea;) Thats old school;)
Make sure JBB has that cig in his mouth:D

mbrown2
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Wes, I don't have the answer but I have a question that may have been answered previously...
Does AV Gas lose Octane while being stored?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Wes, I don't have the answer but I have a question that may have been answered previously...
Does AV Gas lose Octane while being stored?
Thats a good question:idea: I have heard that it has a very long shelf life (5-7yrs)because its used in planes. Dont quote me on that though. Some people dont use thier planes all the time and they sure and the hell dont run them dry:eek:

MR HARLEY
12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I'll need directions so I can see your operation down there.
Trident Boats location:
From Riverside County
Take Interstate 15 South towards San Diego
Take Interstate 8 East
Exit on Johnson Ave and turn left on to Johnson
Continue on Johnoson till it intersects with Bradley (at a stop light) and take a left.
We are in the industrial complex on the right at the corner of Bradley and Marshall
The address is 1677 N. Marshall Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
OK great, thanks for directions.
I usually get there a different way though.
Trident Boats location:
From Riverside County
Take Interstate 15 South towards San Diego
Take Interstate 8 East
Exit on Johnson Ave and turn left on to Johnson
Continue on Johnoson till it intersects with Bradley (at a stop light) and take a left.
We are in the industrial complex on the right at the corner of Bradley and Marshall
The address is 1677 N. Marshall Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020

HCS
12-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I may have a source for a test kit.
I'll have to make a call to the lab when back at work.
Update in the morning. :idea:

boatnam2
12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
dont know the answer but i know for a fact that gasoline that is not in a frig or under a nitorgen blanket will lose octane,as for how much i dont know but i know i have 60 gallons in my boat that will be going in my car before i start my motor again.

Bense468
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Thats a good question:idea: I have heard that it has a very long shelf life (5-7yrs)because its used in planes. Dont quote me on that though. Some people dont use thier planes all the time and they sure and the hell dont run them dry:eek:
The rule of thumb is commercial - 1 year
private - 2 to 3 years (at your risk)
Although signs show no gumming or breakdown of avgas at 2 to 3 year span. If blanketed with nitogen or stored in a cooler climate this reduces the breakdown cycle.

Infomaniac
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Av gas is designed to not vaporize as easy as auto gas. Due to redued atmospheric pressure at operating altitudes.
Auto gas has different formulas from winter to summer. To help with cold starts.
Not sure who would do octane testing as it is the average of the research octane rating and the motor octane rating. Both would need to be performed it seems like.

Froggystyle
12-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Av gas is designed to not vaporize as easy as auto gas. Due to redued atmospheric pressure at operating altitudes.
Auto gas has different formulas from winter to summer. To help with cold starts.
Not sure who would do octane testing as it is the average of the research octane rating and the motor octane rating. Both would need to be performed it seems like.
Exactly... each test is $350, and you have to average the two.

boatnam2
12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
you get a bottle to me froggstyle and i will run it for you at work.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-06-2006, 09:24 PM
The rule of thumb is commercial - 1 year
private - 2 to 3 years (at your risk)
Although signs show no gumming or breakdown of avgas at 2 to 3 year span. If blanketed with nitogen or stored in a cooler climate this reduces the breakdown cycle.
Wow! So the fuel in my boat is still good? NICE:) It smells the same. I just wasnt sure.
THanks bense;)

Froggystyle
12-06-2006, 09:50 PM
you get a bottle to me froggstyle and i will run it for you at work.
OK Jim... you are officially the man.
Should I drive it up or can you actually ship gas if you do it properly?

boatnam2
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
i dont think you can ship it,i can meet you half way.im not doing nothing and im thinking about cruising down to see my buddies golf course in temecula.make sure sample is in a amber bottle or can,only need a quart.

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
i dont think you can ship it,i can meet you half way.im not doing nothing and im thinking about cruising down to see my buddies golf course in temecula.make sure sample is in a amber bottle or can,only need a quart.
You don't want an actual fuel can?
I gotta go find an amber bottle somewhere... I will get one of my guys in the shop to go kill a 40 of Coors light and then jump on some power tools... ;)

Jordy
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I will get one of my guys in the shop to go kill a 40 of Coors light and then jump on some power tools... ;)
Like 40oz of that creek water will affect anyone who boats. Just ask RD. :D :D :D

boatnam2
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
You don't want an actual fuel can?
I gotta go find an amber bottle somewhere... I will get one of my guys in the shop to go kill a 40 of Coors light and then jump on some power tools... ;)
yea a 40 bottle would work good lol,or a fuel can is the best but then i wil have you cans.i think like a glass jar is good just tape the sides up so it cant get no sun exsposure maybe even tape the lid.

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
yea a 40 bottle would work good lol,or a fuel can is the best but then i wil have you cans.i think like a glass jar is good just tape the sides up so it cant get no sun exsposure maybe even tape the lid.
Tell you what... I will try to find a way to go ahead and add the fuel cans to the Jim and Tina emergency fuel can fund... I would rather make sure they don't break on you or spill...
I will get the cans today and bring them up. You rock. Seriously. I love this place sometimes...