PDA

View Full Version : Your Next Set of Goodyears

burtandnancy
12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I've always had good luck with Goodyear Eagles, but I just learned that my next set may be built in Communist China by workers earning $ .42 per hour (42 cents) and that the Goodyear workers in Texas will be loosing their jobs. Hows that for helping the American middle class? Another American milestone is slipping away...

Boatcop
12-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Goodyear workers are already on strike. The one's stateside who may be losing their jobs are bringing this on themselves.
Goodyear is only outsourcing to keep up with production while the US plants are down.

spectras only
12-05-2006, 03:52 PM
[b]I just learned that my next set may be built in Communist China by workers earning $ .42 per hour (42 cents)
Burt , the biggest problem with this is the price won't be adjusted according to those wages . Bet your bottom dollar , it will cost [ goodyear trademark :rolleyes: ] the same as if it was made in the states . I always shopping around for canadian made garments and such , cause the shitty chineese made ones falling apart after a few wash.And they're priced the same as the home made stuff now days anyway.

jdf
12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Goodyear workers are already on strike. The one's stateside who may be losing their jobs are bringing this on themselves.
Goodyear is only outsourcing to keep up with production while the US plants are down.
i know some of the guy's here in tx. and that did not bring it on themself ...goodyear is trying to mess them out of ret. med. and some more benfit's

RitcheyRch
12-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Typical corporate mentality. OUTSOURCE everything

burtandnancy
12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I hope Boat Cop and jdf publish some facts to support their arguements. Let the truth be told. I think they both have excellent opinions...

chub
12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
WOW so belonging to a Union and producing goods and services to America at a fair price and safe working environment is a bad thing. Unions going on strike are the reason all workers have the pay and benefits they do. I beleive Unions helped create the "middle class."
Let's not jack the thread with this same beaten dead horse, but I'll be going to the Goodyear website and try and send a note on behalf of America to keep those jobs here or my bidness goes else where. This disturbs me as I run nothing but and am happy with the product, I will change if needed however.
I hope we all do the same.

Boatcop
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I hope Boat Cop and jdf publish some facts to support their arguements. Let the truth be told. I think they both have excellent opinions...
Do any search for "Goodyear Strike" and you'll get the stories you seek. The first post talks of Chinese Goodyear tires, but I haven't seen ANYTHING yet on US tires being made there. Just a guess on my part.
Goodyear already makes tires for the European and Asian market in China, so it's not a stretch to think that they would go there if US production (currently being done by management) can't keep up with current commitments.
It's no secret how I feel about Unions. They had their day during the sweatshop era, but now exist just to feed their political machine and power.
GM having to pay workers full salary to stay home, (for years at a time) is just one example. Non-Union automakers (Toyota USA, Honda USA, etc) turn out a better product less expensively than the US machine, and have more loyal workers, with better productivity.
Unions had all but bankrupt the State of California, all in the name of political clout with Gray Davis. Those who benefit from such deals , more power to them. But unions drive up costs of products and service, and force State and local Governments to cut services or raise taxes and impose additional "fees" to keep up.
Mark my words. The raise in minimum wage will send the unions into a tizzy, demanding that their workers receive a comparable % increase, making the above mentioned goods and services even more expensive, and taxes/fees increase even more.
Just look at airport screeners to see what unions have given us lately.
President Reagan got it right when the Air-Traffic controllers struck in the 1980s. Fire the bastards.

chub
12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Alan, I respect your opinion but disagree. Let's just work together to keep the job's here.
God bless America, Land of the free.

2Driver
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
What isn't from China or India theses days. My Towmaster V trailer tires were from......you guessed it china.
We all relish in the $39 mountain bike and $29 DVD player from Walmart but see little past that. At the end of the day they are a communist country and world polluter to the tune of ecological disaster proportions.
Yep, they are taking our $30/ hour jobs but India is taking the $100K a year brain drain jobs just as fast.

TexasChopper
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I notice the price has not gone down on them... I was quoted last week $500 a piece for my rear runflats. That's ridiculous in my opinion

havaduner
12-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Burt , the biggest problem with this is the price won't be adjusted according to those wages . [B]Bet your bottom dollar , it will cost [ goodyear trademark :rolleyes: ] the same as if it was made in the states . I always shopping around for canadian made garments and such , cause the shitty chineese made ones falling apart after a few wash.And they're priced the same as the home made stuff now days anyway.
Your right about one thing, Sell prices wont go down. But even with all the freight and logistics involved, their is no way their cost will be even close to what it is for domestically produced product.

Wheeler
12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Do any search for "Goodyear Strike" and you'll get the stories you seek. The first post talks of Chinese Goodyear tires, but I haven't seen ANYTHING yet on US tires being made there. Just a guess on my part.
Goodyear already makes tires for the European and Asian market in China, so it's not a stretch to think that they would go there if US production (currently being done by management) can't keep up with current commitments.
It's no secret how I feel about Unions. They had their day during the sweatshop era, but now exist just to feed their political machine and power.
GM having to pay workers full salary to stay home, (for years at a time) is just one example. Non-Union automakers (Toyota USA, Honda USA, etc) turn out a better product less expensively than the US machine, and have more loyal workers, with better productivity.
Unions had all but bankrupt the State of California, all in the name of political clout with Gray Davis. Those who benefit from such deals , more power to them. But unions drive up costs of products and service, and force State and local Governments to cut services or raise taxes and impose additional "fees" to keep up.
Mark my words. The raise in minimum wage will send the unions into a tizzy, demanding that their workers receive a comparable % increase, making the above mentioned goods and services even more expensive, and taxes/fees increase even more.
President Reagan got it right when the Air-Traffic controllers struck in the 1980s. Fire the bastards.
HooRah!

haulina29
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Boat Cop spoken like a true govt employe in a right to work state, save it.

Boatcop
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Boat Cop spoken like a true govt employe in a right to work state, save it.
I only needed one experience with unions to form my opinion. In the '70s I worked for Todd Shipyards in San Pedro. Had to join (and give a ton of money to) the Shipfitters Union. Was making all of $5.00/hour. My classification was as a Coppersmith. When the job I was working on (new oil tanker) was complete, the work dropped off and I was laid off from the yard.
Went to the Union Hall every day for weeks, but there was nothing available. (But I still had to pay dues) There were a ton of jobs for laborers, (sweepers) painters, all the unkilled stuff, at about $4.25/hour. I told them I just wanted to work, but they said that "rules" wouldn't let me work out of my classification.
Would rather protect their "integrity" (or rather lack thereof) than help a member. That was all I needed to know about Unions. Told them to pound sand, and it'll be a cold day in hell when I support another one.

lawbreaker2
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
You are the man, I agree with you 100% :rollside: You are my hero. :D
They are the one's forceing companys to move over sea. And do you blame them for moving.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2006, 08:46 PM
When we cease to make anything, there will be nothing left to sell.

Riomouse911
12-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Not to bash Boatcop, but don't you belong to an "association" that bargains with the County for salary and benefits?

Wheeler
12-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Unions: Yes, there is a place for unions and their members, however this place is getting smaller. Unions are almost, Obsolete.

haulina29
12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
The unions are not the only reason for offshore trade how about workers comp and liability,Attorneys and the EPA you havent seen nothing yet wait until the bills our govenor signed "to pull votes" on green house gasses goes into affect in 2010-11. Unless you have sat in the top seat at Goodyear you dont have a clue.How can you blame communist China for our problems thats the problem we point fingers and dont do squat about it. If there was no market for Chinese goods there would be no market?Plain and simple we dont make anything any more better get used to it.Try to build a oil refinery a power plant, cut lumber, mine ,Steel plant or foundry,in the US aint gonna happen . In China as far as you can see there are new hi rise building going up they use american engineers and architects built by Chinese labor 24 hours a day 7 days a week they work their asses of and our proud of it.I have just read two good articles on imports one was called Asia shops while America drops and the other was a good overall view of the economy and how housing and growth in America will be at a 2 percent negative the only sure bet was Chinese imports will increase at 10 to 15 percent a year until 2010.I can tell you that real estate in China is hot you do not own the land but you purchase the structure at a increase of 20 to 40 percent a year and is expected to grow at that rate until 2010 or after the world fair . H29

beerjet
12-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I've been on both sides of the fence and I for one do not like some rat bastard building anything!
union . YES !