PDA

View Full Version : Why the fokk is diesel so spendy??

Mandelon
12-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I noticed today the diesel is 60 cents more than regular today.... :mad: I like the power and mileage, but sheesh, that ain't right.
San Diego may have great weather, but we get hosed on energy prices. :220v:

HTRDLNCN
12-05-2006, 09:05 PM
diesel is more expensive most everywhere in the US right now from what I have seen.
Cheaper to make too from what I have read..
I have also wondered why..

Riomouse911
12-05-2006, 09:12 PM
The stated reason is a) a swith to "low sulpur" diesel for cleaner air, and b) winter time means they brew #1 for colder climes and #2 for warmer climes (#1 won't gum up as badly when it's freezing out).
I believe it's because fewer diesel drivers means fewer people to bitch when prices spiral. If we were in Europe, where many more cars are diesel, it would be different (IMO)
TRUE STORY:
A few months back I rolled down the hill and passed the 76 station at Hidden Valley/I-15. The price was 2.65-g. I went to the credit union and the pool supply store, and drove back up the hill. It was now reading 2.79-g. Up 14 cents in 30 minutes. I then went home, farted around for a couple hours, and went back down the hill to the boat shop. It was now reading 2.98-g at the same 76 station. Up 34 cents in under 4 hours. Now if regular gas prices were raised like that, the place would've been burned down, but diesel users just take it.
I know gas-oil companies spout the industry lines every time price becomes an issue; but It's like the boy who cried wolf... I just don't believe it anymore.

OKIE-JET
12-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Actualy I think its because of the sharp increase in the number of consumers who rely on diesel....it was always cheaper when it was just the truckers...but now comes trendiness and all of a sudden its cornholio time.

HTRDLNCN
12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
just like the excuse for not allowing a lot of those european diesels
that get awesome gas milage over here is that they make too much emmisions.
Funny how diesel emmisions where never a problem till people realized how much more efficient they can be.
Looked at the price of used VW diesels lately? The same as new ones!
My friend has one for his daily commute, gets 40-50mpg depending on his right foot and with a few tweaks to the turbo and fuel system its pretty quick for an econocar, no fancy dual/flex fuel or batteries/hybrid or any other weird crap either.

bigq
12-05-2006, 11:14 PM
The sharp increase is due to the severe cold. It is used for heating .this is why other fuel is not going up and diesel up about 30-40 cents in the last couple weeks. The cost of low sulfur has been integrated for over a year now.

DMOORE
12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Don't buy all the hype. It's very simple. Oil companies are screwing ya. Diesel is just above kerosene in the distallation process. It costs about 30% less to distill than gasoline. In mexico, where where gas is over $4 a gallon, diesel is still about $2 a gallon. Ya, were getting screwed.
Darrell.

dschifan
12-05-2006, 11:23 PM
thats why i bought my 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 liter gas. runs great with plenty of power, sure it gets not as good gas mileage but with the 4 grand i saved buying the truck and the 50cents cheaper gas is... i'm way ahead. would have bought the diesel but its just not worth it anymore unless your really doing some towin!

bwillieb
12-05-2006, 11:38 PM
......The old diesel fuel and jet fuel ran through the same pipes at the refineries.........low sulfer diesel left residue in the pipes, contaminating the jet fuel.........the low sulpher additives had to be added at the transfer stations............if this same process is still in effect, guess who's paying for the procedure..............the year ago days of diesel being less than unleaded regular are most likely a very distant memory...............

boatnam2
12-06-2006, 01:33 AM
the dsl being produced today is way more exspensive to make then a year ago due to the spec's.it leaves out of refinery at 5ppm sulfur which was alot lower then before.5ppm sulfur is almost nil.i also think all the refineries are in turn around right now which help increase prices.today i filled up my new gas truck(just sold my dsl) and it was 2.34 dsl was 3.16 getting close to a dollar difference.

FlatStupid
12-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Because all you ballers bought one and Exxon wants your money!

axkiker
12-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I have also been told that because diesel is less refined that there is less Bi-product to sell off on the market to other buyers like plastic makers. Hence the reason Diesel is more $$. Now I didnt say I believed this theory im just telling you what someone in the oil industry told me.

Warlockjer
12-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Went up .20 a gallon in less than a week at Not so Super fuels in Havasu. I just spent $250.00 there at 2.69 a gallon :mad:

centerhill condor
12-06-2006, 06:26 AM
sulphur is part of the equation as well as a sharp increase in transportation...all that chinese stuff ships via truck from the coast to the wal mart. Domestically produced products ship closer to the consumer. Another sharp increase in fuel costs will help domestic manufacturing. Just a thought from outside the box.

Riomouse911
12-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Since we're on the topic of fuel prices....
Can anyone tell me the rationale behind refining/marketing 3 grades of gasoline, 87, 89, and 91 octane? I can understand 87, as most manufacturers state it's the fuel minimum for most cars on the road and most gas powered equipment. I can understand 91, as some HiPo engines need the extra octane to burn cleanly and not damage the engine. Why then is 89 made? In my opinion, if they only distilled 87 and 91, prices would presumably go down due to increased supply of the two grades of fuel most of america buys and needs.
Am I off base here?

Chipster27
12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Both my cars require 91. I've read many reports on octane and am of the understanding that it does NO GOOD to put a higher rated octane in your car than it was designed for. If you go lower you will actually lose performance/economy because the engine will "de-tune" itself to prevent knocking and pinging.
I guess they make 89 for the people that want a little more than 87, but don't want to kick down for 91. But to my point above, it's probably a waste of $$$
And the price of diesel sucks...
For what it's worth, Mercedes is coming out with an E class diesel that is supposed to be super quite, cost just hair over the gas E class and get something like 35 MPG with 200 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque and a range of something like 600 miles per tank
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/09/mercedes_offers.html
Can anyone tell me the rationale behind refining/marketing 3 grades of gasoline, 87, 89, and 91 octane? I can understand 87, as most manufacturers state it's the fuel minimum for most cars on the road and most gas powered equipment. I can understand 91, as some HiPo engines need the extra octane to burn cleanly and not damage the engine. Why then is 89 made? In my opinion, if they only distilled 87 and 91, prices would presumably go down due to increased supply of the two grades of fuel most of america buys and needs.
Am I off base here?

BajaMike
12-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Am I off base here?
Very little 89 octane is produced at refineries and most of the tanker trucks only have 2 tanks, one for 87 and one for 91. Modern stations mix the 87 with the 91 to get 89 octane.
The older stations just sell 91 labeled at 89, since you can sell 89 that is actually 91, but not the reverse.
:idea:

Hardly Satisfied
12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I noticed today the diesel is 60 cents more than regular today.... :mad: I like the power and mileage, but sheesh, that ain't right.
There just like ripping us off

catman-do
12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
thats why i bought my 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 liter gas. runs great with plenty of power, sure it gets not as good gas mileage but with the 4 grand i saved buying the truck and the 50cents cheaper gas is... i'm way ahead. would have bought the diesel but its just not worth it anymore unless your really doing some towin!
Im with you. The reason diesel is going up because alot of morons are buying diesel motors to either fart around town and look cool, or to pull something stupid like a boat. Its like the guy that pulls a boat with a f650... Why? Then people complain. If the trucks were only bought by the people that needed them then it wouldnt be as much of an issue. I just bought my third diesel and its gone from being .50 under 87 to being 60-70 over 87. If i didnt have a 40 foot trailer to tow around i would go back to a gas motor and save a ton of money.

Riomouse911
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I agree with the "buying a diesel to fart around town".. it's the same rationale that drove US consumers to Hummers, Tahoes and 2500 Silveradoes and F-350's...big hunk'o metal lifted 6" looking cool, gas is cheap yadda yadda. We burned it up, tightened supply, and get screwed. Man, I wish we could have a pick up truck right now that's a hydrogen/hybrid that can tow 14,000 lbs..mebbe someday

SHOTKALLIN
12-06-2006, 09:41 AM
how many years is it gonna be before bio-diesel takes off?

dschifan
12-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Im with you. The reason diesel is going up because alot of morons are buying diesel motors to either fart around town and look cool, or to pull something stupid like a boat. Its like the guy that pulls a boat with a f650... Why? Then people complain. If the trucks were only bought by the people that needed them then it wouldnt be as much of an issue. I just bought my third diesel and its gone from being .50 under 87 to being 60-70 over 87. If i didnt have a 40 foot trailer to tow around i would go back to a gas motor and save a ton of money.
could not said it any better

HammerDown
12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I remember whe Diesel was Wayyyy lower than regular grade gas.
That was a long time ago... :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Because all you ballers bought one and Exxon wants your money!
DING...DING...DING....we have a winner.
because the big 3 made them a affordable standard option power plant in pick up's.

boatnam2
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Very little 89 octane is produced at refineries and most of the tanker trucks only have 2 tanks, one for 87 and one for 91. Modern stations mix the 87 with the 91 to get 89 octane.
The older stations just sell 91 labeled at 89, since you can sell 89 that is actually 91, but not the reverse.
:idea:
we got a winner refineries make 87 and 89 octane.once it get to the terminal add ethanol and get there 89 and 91.then they blend to get mid grade 89.my new dodge hemi calls for 87 but recommends running 89.

BOBALOO
12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
3 years ago I bought a V10, I am still happy with that decision today!:D
I still have to buy diesel at 60 cents more per gallon for my work truck though :mad:
Good thing I have a fleet card:D

Phat Matt
12-06-2006, 05:11 PM
When I bought my Excursion diesel was $1.39 in '03. It was great. For the most part I have been able to get diesel for under the price of 87 over the years but now the prices are out of whack!

77charger
12-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Don't buy all the hype. It's very simple. Oil companies are screwing ya. Diesel is just above kerosene in the distallation process. It costs about 30% less to distill than gasoline. In mexico, where where gas is over $4 a gallon, diesel is still about $2 a gallon. Ya, were getting screwed.
Darrell.dont forget that for every 19 gallons of gas you only get about 8 gallons of diesel too but look at how many 3/4 ton trucks are diesel too you ont find it on every corner.But who cares they get like 3 times the mpg of gas so you still save right?

77charger
12-06-2006, 05:45 PM
the dsl being produced today is way more exspensive to make then a year ago due to the spec's.it leaves out of refinery at 5ppm sulfur which was alot lower then before.5ppm sulfur is almost nil.i also think all the refineries are in turn around right now which help increase prices.today i filled up my new gas truck(just sold my dsl) and it was 2.34 dsl was 3.16 getting close to a dollar difference.
from an oil guy himself.
jim who had your dodge at glamis t day weekend?I saw it at sweet maries while i was there

cc322
12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
3 years ago I bought a V10, I am still happy with that decision today!:D
I still have to buy diesel at 60 cents more per gallon for my work truck though :mad:
Good thing I have a fleet card:D
Me too, love my V10, recently thought about switching from gas to diesel but this past weekend in havasu I paid 2.19 for 87, in MV saw diesel at 76 for 3.29.. 87 was 2.59, imo unless you have the huge load you tow, it just dosent pan out anymore for the cost of fuel, oil changes, filters etc, shouldnt be like that but thats how it is. I also believe with tthe post about everyone jumping on the diesel wagon, which the oil companies got wise to. Fockers

boatnam2
12-06-2006, 06:11 PM
from an oil guy himself.
jim who had your dodge at glamis t day weekend?I saw it at sweet maries while i was there
i sold it to tina's boy,he's been going quite a bit to glamis.

JB in so cal
12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm liking my V10 more and more... :)

cc322
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm liking my V10 more and more... :)
About time Brotha :rollside:

lawbreaker2
12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Cuz it's the in thing to do. :D

OCMerrill
12-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Just today in Fountain Valley:
Shell Station on the corner of Ellis(I think) and Brookhurst
2.19 Reg Unl.
2.29 89
2.39 91
and.........
3.19 for Diesel - Thats a $1.00 hit. WTF!
I have several box trucks and I have to buy it. Normally I just take it but Low Sulfur my ass.
To top it off my trucks are all off in mileage over 1 to 1.5 mpg. What was once 12 is now in the high 10's.

Baja Big Dog
12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Mandy my man...I wish I lived near the border, we are down there every other weekend, and sometimes every weekend running off road motorcycle tours, and Diesel is 1.81 a gallon, if you are that close Id get a 100 gallon tank for the bed and pay for it on the first 2 trips!!!!
I make sure my guys fill up the trucks in Rosarito before crossing, sometimes you and make it back with filling up!!!

EmpirE231
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
US Diesel guys should go on strike!! last week filled up for 2.69 a gallon (which I thought was high compared to the PREMIUM @ 2.49 ... and then yesterday I fill up for 3.09 a gallon :mad:

viabaja
12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
$1.86 gallon kids!!

phebus
12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I just sold my diesel truck, so I'm sure the cost of diesel fuel will be coming way down. :mad:

Jyruiz
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I just sold my diesel truck, so I'm sure the cost of diesel fuel will be coming way down. :mad:
If it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck at all. :crossx: