PDA

View Full Version : Looking for answers, FROGGY??

Not So Fast
12-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Since Froggy is ex military maybe he can settle this.
In last nites episode of "The Unit" there was an escape method used that I have trouble believing. The premise was Dennis Haysbert would send up a little balloon (looked like a miniature blimp) with a yank cord attached which in turn was secured to him by the way of a jump suit harness type dealio. As he sat on the ground a plane of some size (4 motor prop, troop type?) would snare the line and pull him up at enough speed to remain aloft while doing this. How fast does a rather big plane have to go to do this and could the human body take the shock? I said I dont think so but thought I would get an experts opinion. So whaddya think Froggy or anybody else with knowledge of this? NSF

JB in so cal
12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Did you ever see Green Berets with John Wayne? Did it in that one too.

ChumpChange
12-06-2006, 09:00 AM
and could the human body take the shock?
With the proper harness, why not. Have you ever seen a static jump off a bridge? That's just a rope tied to the bridge to a harness. What about just a parachute rip cord? All shocking.

Froggystyle
12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
It is called S.P.I.E. Rigging, or vertical extraction. The problem with it is the fact that you have to get the balloon, helium, rigging and such into the DZ, and most of the time it is easier to just get a helicopter in there and safer for the operator.
I have done it with a helicopter, in fact I did it for the July 4th show in 1997 among other times. TOTAL BLAST!
The rope is a shock-cord on the plane version, and while it is pretty amazing acceleration, it isn't that crazy. They come in low and slow on the balloon, and pull straight up once they capture it, this bleeds of airspeed at exactly the same time you are getting lifted off the ground.
With the Helo version, they put the rope out the door and you clip into it, then they fly your ass all over swinging from the bottom of it at 100 knots or so, which is cool. Great view of San Diego and the 4th crowd. Then you land, pull away from the rope and unclip.
We use it for extracting out of jungles, off the top of buildings and other places where a helo can't land.

Taylorman
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I love that show, im addicted to it. My favorite show right now next to deperate housewives.

Infomaniac
12-06-2006, 09:29 AM
C-130 does that also huh?
What acceleration that would be.

Froggystyle
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
C-130 does that also huh?
What acceleration that would be.
The 130 is the preferred vehicle for this. There is some transfer mechanism that pulls the rope back into the plane on a winch and you actually recover into the plane through the ramp I believe.
I will try to find a pic of the plane...

OGShocker
12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
It is called S.P.I.E. Rigging, or vertical extraction. The problem with it is the fact that you have to get the balloon, helium, rigging and such into the DZ, and most of the time it is easier to just get a helicopter in there and safer for the operator.
I have done it with a helicopter, in fact I did it for the July 4th show in 1997 among other times. TOTAL BLAST!
The rope is a shock-cord on the plane version, and while it is pretty amazing acceleration, it isn't that crazy. They come in low and slow on the balloon, and pull straight up once they capture it, this bleeds of airspeed at exactly the same time you are getting lifted off the ground.
With the Helo version, they put the rope out the door and you clip into it, then they fly your ass all over swinging from the bottom of it at 100 knots or so, which is cool. Great view of San Diego and the 4th crowd. Then you land, pull away from the rope and unclip.
We use it for extracting out of jungles, off the top of buildings and other places where a helo can't land.
Retired DELTA friend of mine "exfil'd" out of Chad via S.P.I.E. along with a Turk operator. Mark's harness broke at the crouch straps and the waist belt pushed ALL of his ribs into his collarbones. I saw photos of him being WALKED to a truck just after they landed, the boy didn't look so good at the moment. Last time I saw him he was still going through hell.
HALO in, helo out..:D

Froggystyle
12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I take it back, they call the C-130 method the "Skyhook" or "Fulton Extraction" method.
Detailed here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system
Here is my favorite excerpt...
"Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph. It arrived on board undamaged but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew."

sigepmock
12-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I take it back, they call the C-130 method the "Skyhook" or "Fulton Extraction" method.
Detailed here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system
"Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph. It arrived on board undamaged but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew."
Damn that made me laugh out loud!!!! That could be a Saturday Night Live Deep Thought...
Too funny Wes.

ChumpChange
12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Damn that made me laugh out loud!!!! That could be a Saturday Night Live Deep Thought...
Too funny Wes.
Same here. My coworkers always wonder what I'm doing since I'm laughing all the time.

XtrmWakeborder
12-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Have you ever seen the rocket chair thing on the history channel? I think they were testing ejection seats or something, now that was some serious force on those test pilots.

Not So Fast
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Yep, that is the picture of the plane and the pickup device on the front of it. Thanks Froggy, NSF

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Did you ever see Green Berets with John Wayne? Did it in that one too.
That's exactly what I was thinking......
Ahhhhh....."The Duke"......The good ole' days....
It's all about the Kilonewtons...... :rolleyes:
Later,
CJG
:)