PDA

View Full Version : Camping/Hiking in Southern Cali

OliverM5
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm looking for a place to go for a weekend in Southern Cali - somewhere with amazing hiking trails, beautiful views, and a nice camping spot. Never done this before - anyone here have any good places to go?

Kiddunot
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Try that area up at the top of Ortega Hwy it is pretty nice

Schiada76
12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Big Sycamore at the beach, North of the Ventura county line.

28Prowler525
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
This book is cool for day trips.
Main page...
http://www.running-water.com/holes/holespage.htm
Link to book...
http://www.running-water.com/book/Retail_Frame_California.htm

Water Romper
12-06-2006, 04:59 PM
There’s camping…and then there’s “CAMPING”..
Tent camping is fun however it’s a lot of work and this time of year can be very cold and wet, I would NOT recommend this if you are not an experienced “roughing it” type of camper.
Trailer camping is the better way to go. If you do not own one, there are several places around the LA area that rent all types of trailers and RV’s…it all depends on your budget and where you want to go.
Once you get the trailer, or RV (aka motor home) then you can decide where you may want to go. “Yes” it matters because some camp sites are limited to the size of your RV.
Also, do you want full hook up or do you want to camp “dry” both have their pros and cons. Full Hook up is with water, electric and black water (waste) Dry camping is just that, just you your RV and the camp ground. I like these better because this type of camp grounds are more “rustic” and out of the way.
There are many, many nice areas within 1-3 hours from LA. Big Bear has several places and there are great hiking trails as well. Remember, many Forestry camp grounds are closed this time of year so call ahead. :)

Mandelon
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Anza Borrego desert has improved campgrounds and you can dry camp anywhere in the park, near a road for free. Waterfalls and palm oases to hike up to. warm days and cool nights for camp fires. We go there a lot. You can run up some of the washes and not see or hear anyone else all weekend. Tons of stars.....great family times.

SHIFTY
12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Big Sycamore at the beach, North of the Ventura county line.
I SECOND THAT. IN ADDITION, GO TO SPORT CHALET AND RENT A KAYAK FOR THE TRIP. TWO PERSON IS GOOD IF THERE ARE TWO OF YOU, BUT INDIVIDUAL ONES ARE EVEN BETTER. MOST OF THEM HAVE AN O-RING LINED DRY COMPARTMENT WHERE YOU CAN STORE BEER, SMOKES, AND WEED. THE SURF THERE IS VERY SMALL, BUT CAN BE A BLAST TO RUN THE KAYAK IN DURING THE DAY. WHEN YOU WANT TO TAKE A BREAK, JUST PADDLE OUT PAST THE BREAKS, AND CHILL AND HAVE A BEER. MAKE SURE YOU HIKE TO THE CLIFFS JUST ABOVE THE BEACH AT NIGHT, AND BRING A 12er...

totenhosen
12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Leo Carrillo north of Malibu or Buckhorn in the San Gabriel's

HOOTER SLED-
12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Leo Carrillo north of Malibu or Buckhorn in the San Gabriel's
I was gonna say Leo Carrillo too. Cool lil campground right in a canyon. It's where Mullholland meets PCH. Right at the LA/Ventura County line. You can walk from the campground under PCH to the beach.
I like Silverwood lake for camping as well. right off the 15 in the Cajon Pass. Pretty cold right now though. West of Arrowhead. I believe around the 3000 foot elevation.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Go to REI and buy a couple of hiking books from my old middle school history teacher....
John W. Robinson
http://www.amazon.com/s/105-8511894-5333209?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Robinson%2C%20John%20W.
Great books that have great detail on each hike....
He started the Hiking Club at our middle school and I bet I did 100 hikes in 3 years..... :)
Great times.... :)
Later,
CJG
:)

Water Romper
12-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Anza Borrego desert has improved campgrounds and you can dry camp anywhere in the park, near a road for free. Waterfalls and palm oases to hike up to. warm days and cool nights for camp fires. We go there a lot. You can run up some of the washes and not see or hear anyone else all weekend. Tons of stars.....great family times.
Mandelon,
I haven't been to Anza Borrego for 20 years, can you give me directions, I think I'll take a run up there in the next few weeks.
I remember the waterfalls and palm trees in the middle of the desert.
Thanks! :crossx:

Starloans
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Palm Springs area.
No......I'm not talking about butt pirate camping and hiking. :cry:
You have two options. You can catch the Palm Springs tram to the top which is about 8500 feet up and hike the rest. A little over 6 mile hike one way. You must complete a wilderness pass before you leave.
Or you can hike from the bottom which is about 12 miles one way. This hike is one of the best hikes in the Southwestern US. It's also called the Catctus to Clouds hike.
There are campgrounds on the hike.
This is a serious hike. You will be hiking up Mt. San Jacinto and the peak is 10,803 feet. You will be rewarded with views of a good chunk ot the Southwestern US. The temp in the summer will often start out around 105 or so and be in the 40s at the top. The weather can change quick. Best time of the year is July and August.
I've only done it from the top of the tram. The hike starts out easy then gets a little harder. On the last 2 miles you better have your table tray in the upright and locked position.
If this hike is too serious there are many smaller trails and hikes in this area.
Good luck