PDA

View Full Version : Gas vrs. Diesel prices....

OCMerrill
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Gas vrs. Diesel prices.... Separated by almost an even $1.00. :2purples:
I have seen this at more than one station now. Rapid price movement. Daily changes. Blame it on whatever...Low Sulfur, low calorie, fat free, whatever.
I am thinking in terms of my Business not the single truck owner here and not in the form of hauling toys because play is play and we will do that at whatever it costs.
Remember years back when peeps were taking out the gas motors and converting to Diesel? Might want to change them back :rollside: j/k
I own three Isuzu NPR box trucks that could have come with Chevy 350's and I searched out the Diesel Chassis instead. Mostly because at the time Diesel was around $1.25 gal and the mileage was better. Isuzu being the leader in the world of Diesel...yada, yada. No regrets.... but maybe thoughts on what to get for the 4th truck. I need another very soon.
Now with the low Sulfur stuff the $$$ is way up and the mileage is down. I am still around 10's mpg loaded (down from low 12Â’s) and the SB Chevy units are in the 7's but with a $ per gallon difference that should slow down the demand for them I would think.
I had a humorous thought; as of right now there is no gain for me in the Diesel world. Hopefully that will turn around.
I am going to have to make a purchase. I donÂ’t think I have the time to wait and see what happens with the prices.
Thoughts?

HammerDown
12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I purchased my first Diesel (7.3 Ford F-250) back in 1988...used it for construction plus, diesel fuel was WAY lower then regular grade gas. Think it was around .65 cents a gallon or less. I fell in love with the Diesel Engine, very simple and easy to work on (if) needed and that was a rare occasion and actually besides the norm...water pump, alternator, brakes etc the engine is untouched.
With the current price of Diesel fuel (being way higher than Premium grade gas in my area)...unless one is doing to work that Diesel engine every day...I would purchase a gas engine that burns the much cheaper grade of gas. As gasoline will now almost ALWAYS be less than Diesel fuel!
PS not to mention, the Diesel Engines of today are much harder to work on...the techs at the dealers can't even fix'em. Personally I don't see the newer Diesel trucks reaching 300-500,000 miles on their engines without annoying or major problems.

Riomouse911
12-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Everything varies based on the customer's need I guess. I've run both a 6.2 Chevy diesel in a 1985 Suburban until 1999 and put almost 290k on it. Sold it, and it's still clanking along. I've got 130k on the 99 Ford 250 PSD 7.3 with no engine issues at all. (A/C compressor went out, brakes replaced at 90K etc) Neither needed tune-ups, plugs, smog or other gas engine repairs.
Maybe I'm lucky with them, but I think the D is much more reliable in the long haul than gas engines.
I've driven a 350 gas NPR at work, and it's a dog-o-matic. I doubt the diesels are much better, but I have to believe that the engine turns fewer RPM with the D than the 350, cause it's always downshifting for the slightest incline.
Look at the long-term cost/repair etc. on both, then buy what'll suit your comapany.
(I said it in the other thread, I think oil companies can swing diesel prices wildly to make extra profits and not get the outcry that gas customers generate because there are fewer regular diesel users in the US. I am now even more convinced of this based on price drops for months before a crucial election, and now massive price increases starting the next day after.)

OCMerrill
12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Well,
All three trucks run the 4.7L 4cyl Diesel, Auto's, intercooled and 175 HP. They are indeed slow but steady. Never seen a repair sense I bought them. All slightly used over three years. We have piled the miles on them to and always full of stuff.
I am going to buy new this time around. If I slow up I will sell off an old one.
I will have the trucks quoted both ways Diesel and Gas. I use them pretty simple 15-16' box, no lift gate but I need a ramp to roll equip. down. Need a rated Class 4.
I will see what the price difference is and run the numbers.
One thing is now they Have the 6.0 GM gas motor (same as my 2500h-dah) and the 4L85E trans. A little better than the 350's of a few years back.
Long time durability maybe Diesel will remain the choice.
Thanks.