PDA

View Full Version : Concrete sealers for a new floor?

Sotally Tober
12-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Can anyone recommend a good concrete sealer for a new shop floor? It is getting poured next tuesday. I would like to seal it for curing. My garage/shop is 54'x54' so the epoxy ($$$$) is out of the question. I have a floor drain so I will be washing boats and cars inside. I want to be able to use a squeege on it. Is an acrylic type best or a penetrating better? I will also be welding or using the plasma cutter once in a while on it. I used Diamond clear on my garage floor which was an acrylic, and I have not been happy with it. It actualy has started chipping off.

rrrr
12-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I used Sonneborn Kure-n-Seal 30 sealer, it has 30% solids and has held up good for 10 years in my warehouse. I had to recoat the work/welding areas a few years ago.
Roll on two thick coats......drys to a nice gloss. Uh, and wear a respirator.... :220v:
Sonneborn (http://www.chemrex.com/documents/k30_tdg.pdf)

Beer-30
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.ucoatit.com/

Ken F
12-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Kure-n-Seal 30 is going to be the best for what you are doing. That's what's used in commercial construction.
Ken F

Sotally Tober
12-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Are those resilant to gas and oil?

Beer-30
12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Pretty much all of them are. Just don't do the cheapie Rustoleum kit they sell at Lowes and such. You'll be re-doing all of that work in a few years.
U-coat is more automotive minded and showroom type stuff.
Regular clear sealer like the other mentioned still shows the concrete through, unless colored.

rrrr
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Are those resilant to gas and oil?
Yes. Stuff like lacquer thinner will damage it though.

NashvilleBound
12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
I reccommend going to your local WhiteCap store and getting one of the better sealers. You ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for in sealers!! If you are in a high traffic area and worried about slipping use "SharkGrip" in the sealer.
http://www.whitecapdirect.com/store/worker?request=SearchProducts&searchBy=category&searchText=6704&destination=%2Fstore%2Fcatalog.jsp&from=drilldown

Sotally Tober
12-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I want something that will be smooth so I can use a floor squeege. I'm fine with the natural look. Do any penetrating sealers work well for what I want. I do not want anything that will come off. I might have applied the other stuff too thick. It was Euclid Diamond Clear. It looks to be comparable to the Kure-n-seal.

Not So Fast
12-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I want something that will be smooth so I can use a floor squeege. I'm fine with the natural look. Do any penetrating sealers work well for what I want. I do not want anything that will come off. I might have applied the other stuff too thick. It was Euclid Diamond Clear. It looks to be comparable to the Kure-n-seal.
I used Jasco Wet Look sealer, $15@gal at Home Depot and used a little over 2 gallons. My garage is 1300sq ft and I liked it a lot until the city of Havasu "sealed the streets" this summer so now I have black spots where the tires sit, assholes. It just put a shine on the concrete which is what I wanted. My neighbor had just done a chip look epoxy and big garage to the tune of about $3000, how do you think he feels?? NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I used Jasco Wet Look sealer, $15@gal at Home Depot and used a little over 2 gallons. My garage is 1300sq ft and I liked it a lot until the city of Havasu "sealed the streets" this summer so now I have black spots where the tires sit, assholes. It just put a shine on the concrete which is what I wanted. My neighbor had just done a chip look epoxy and big garage to the tune of about $3000, how do you think he feels?? NSF
Bobby,
I had a similar exeriance with the same product. I used the Jasco Wet Look sealer on my new paver driveway. It looked great until the City of Brea decided to oil the streets. I came home one hot afternoon in my 03 SVT Cobra, (sticky tires) pulled intio the garage. I got out and there were black tire tracks on my new driveway. It took many power washings to get most of the black stuff off and still not completely gone. So much for me new 8K driveway.
Not sure if a better sealer would have reacted that way. I think not
John M

Mandelon
12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I think the slab needs to sit for 30 days first to dry and cure prior to the application....check manufacturers specs.

Sotally Tober
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
The flatwork guy likes to cure seal it right after hes done. He will come back the next day and saw cut it. If you seal it the same day there wont be anything on it. I would hate to have to clean all the dust off after he cuts it.
I would be really pissed about those black marks. Did the sealer react with the tar?

NashvilleBound
12-08-2006, 04:28 AM
Your last post is right on target. We seal the concrete after we saw cut it the very next day. Sometimes if they dont want anything at all as far as cuts we will refill the cuts with concrete then seal. You can also throw some black stain in the mix if you want to be creative...far as that goes, any color.

Not So Fast
12-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Bobby,
I had a similar exeriance with the same product. I used the Jasco Wet Look sealer on my new paver driveway. It looked great until the City of Brea decided to oil the streets. I came home one hot afternoon in my 03 SVT Cobra, (sticky tires) pulled intio the garage. I got out and there were black tire tracks on my new driveway. It took many power washings to get most of the black stuff off and still not completely gone. So much for me new 8K driveway.
Not sure if a better sealer would have reacted that way. I think not
John M
No John, it will mark up any surface so imagine how pissed my neighbor was about his $3000 epoxy floor, yikes. Other neighbor put his boat away 3 days later and it tight so turning the wheels left lots of marks on his whole driveway, even a good pressure washer failed to remove the marks. And everybody waited the prescribed 2 days also before driving on it also. Calls to the city resulted in them saying "so sue us"! Pretty smart to seal the street in the summer with the heat huh? Maybe if they had broadcast sand on it it wouldnt be so trackable but not Havasu, ASSBITES. NSF

Beer-30
12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
I just checked into UCoatIt, and for my in-the-process auxiliary garage (2400 sq ft) it would be about $3200. I think that is acceptable and I have seen many reviews from professionals on this stuff. It is supposed to be impervious to the "hot tire" syndrome. Yay though I have never actually used it.