PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pull my impeller

W.O.T
12-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Im pulling my pump apart to have some work done to my impeller. Can someone tell me what size the nut is that holds the impeller to the pump shaft? I need to pick up a big wrench for that one. Also, any good tips on how to keep the motor from turning over to break it loose? Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
12-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I want to say its like 1 13/16 I tried every thing to get mine off, in the end i had to cut it off with a grinder.
rebuild link with pics (http://www.americanturbine.com/downloads/pdf/oh_manuals/berk_oh_manual.pdf)

W.O.T
12-09-2006, 06:01 PM
thanks for that link. some good info

Some Kind Of Monster
12-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I had to cut one of mine off too. Good luck!

W.O.T
12-10-2006, 12:48 AM
damn, guess ill go ahead and order another bolt. anyone know what its torqued to? or how to secure the shaft while breaking it loose or torqueing it?

SmokinLowriderSS
12-10-2006, 01:07 AM
damn, guess ill go ahead and order another bolt. anyone know what its torqued to? or how to secure the shaft while breaking it loose or torqueing it?
The torque is "Damntight". You achive this by putting the coupler back on, slipping a steel bar thru it, and making some other schmuck hold it tight while you torque the nut.:)

Jetaholic
12-10-2006, 04:08 AM
The torque is 75ft lbs.
The size is 1 13/16". I have the Berk rebuild tool set, which comes complete with all your seal drivers, bowl bushing driver, impeller socket (for the impeller nut), impeller puller, and a special spline socket for the splined end of the shaft. When you torque the new impeller nut, you'll need a second 1/2" drive ratchet for the spline socket. You jam the spline socket/ratchet against a solid object while you torque the impeller nut down to keep the shaft from spinning while you're torquing.
Gimme a call...I'm in Fresno. (559)292-6274...I would be glad to let you borrow the tool set if you pay shipping both ways to get it to you and back to me once you're done.

snake321
12-10-2006, 04:29 AM
I have a spare pump that has the large screw on the impeller. Twice I've taken a look at it,kicked it and put it back.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-10-2006, 05:36 AM
The torque is 75ft lbs.
The size is 1 3/4". I have the Berk rebuild tool set, which comes complete with all your seal drivers, bowl bushing driver, impeller socket (for the impeller nut), impeller puller, and a special spline socket for the splined end of the shaft. When you torque the new impeller nut, you'll need a second 1/2" drive ratchet for the spline socket. You jam the spline socket/ratchet against a solid object while you torque the impeller nut down to keep the shaft from spinning while you're torquing.
Gimme a call...I'm in Fresno. (559)292-6274...I would be glad to let you borrow the tool set if you pay shipping both ways to get it to you and back to me once you're done.
No fair jetaholic, that all entails having the correct tools. :cry: :D
At least I have the 1 3/4" combination wrench. :D

Jetaholic
12-10-2006, 05:42 AM
No fair jetaholic, that all entails having the correct tools. :cry: :D
That's what 'she' said.:crossx:
At least I have the 1 3/4" combination wrench. :D
NICE!:crossx:

4trax
12-10-2006, 06:44 AM
The torque is 75ft lbs.
The size is 1 3/4". I have the Berk rebuild tool set, which comes complete with all your seal drivers, bowl bushing driver, impeller socket (for the impeller nut), impeller puller, and a special spline socket for the splined end of the shaft. When you torque the new impeller nut, you'll need a second 1/2" drive ratchet for the spline socket. You jam the spline socket/ratchet against a solid object while you torque the impeller nut down to keep the shaft from spinning while you're torquing.
The tools look like this.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/4trax67/Boat%20parts/Pumptools1.jpg
My wrench for the impeller nut is 1" 13/16.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/4trax67/Boat%20parts/Pumptools12.jpg
Same wrench that's posted above in the link.

jweeks123
12-10-2006, 11:27 AM
what did that set of tools cost
jw

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
you can get a complete set from berkeley for about 350. it has every thing you need. but personally there are some thing there you can do with out.( you can order the stuff a la cart)link to kit (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/detail.asp?product_id=950-758999) for example the impeller puller and the shaft end socket. I have never seen a AL impellor that did not come right off with a 3 jaw and a little heat.

bp
12-11-2006, 09:09 AM
i got that tool kit years ago, used it at home and at the track. there are a few things in the kit that aren't used much at all, but i really like the puller, because it places equal force around the entire hub.

Mr. Crusader 83
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
W.O.T. ask Bense468. hes got all those tools. Or if your in east san diego area. go to the jet boat shop in lakeside. i forgot the name of the shop but its off of the 67 in lakeside. hes a cool old school jet boat racer that has alot of tools and likes to talk alot.