PDA

View Full Version : Prop sizing questions

LCexplorer
11-23-2002, 01:14 AM
Well after re-organizing my entire magazine collection, I found one lonely old copy of ***boat that I never knew I had. It was a few years old and I don't even remember buying it but however it got here I am glad, it had a short article about a 1962 bubble tail Biesemeyer ski boat. Well after looking high and low on the internet for information on these 60's style 16' bubble tail ski boats, I was kinda of dumb founded to find some set up info for my future ski boat in a ***boat magazine that I had all along, now I remember why I don't through out magazines.....
Anyways point being with the set up info provided in the short article, I was able to get an idea of what to look for in terms of speed and performance for my restored hull. The bubble tail in the article was not a v-drive like mine, it was a direct drive. Now that bubble tail listed a 12"x15" bronze prop that was connected to a 350 with 2.02 heads, roller rockers, full msd ignition and a 650 Holley double pumper going through a 1:1 Velvet drive. It turned a reported 70 mph at 6500 rpms. Well given all the specs of that boat, I was left wondering what kind of prop I would need for my boat? The primary differnce in my hull is that I have a v-drive with 10% gears and the 350 in the back. I believe when all said and done I will be probably be down about 30 or 40hp to the straight drive Biesemeyer in the article (I am planning on about 280 to 300 hp from my 350)and don't think I'll be spnning 6500 rpms either. I start puckering if my 350 sees over 5400 rpm so I don't think I'll be going as fast. Now given all the difference between my boat with the rear engine postioning, the 10% overdrive v-drive configuration and the lesser horsepower, where would I start with my prop sizing? My previous experience with outdrives tells me that I should go with something like 12"x13", would I be right? How much does the engine placement affect the prop sizing and cup? Thanks to all and if you have any info that you would like to share about 60's style 16' Biesemeyer bubble back ski boats, please do so.

V-Drive Tom
11-23-2002, 09:32 AM
LCExplorer, It's hard to compare your set-up to his. He is turning his engine 6500,RPM...Your going to be a Wimp and turn yours only 5400(My Grandma spins her small block chevy over 6000!!)
All truth and kidding aside, You will want an 11-1/2x14 three blade if you don't want any vibration and great take off. It will be best to have a Steel prop, but a brass one will do.
TOM..
P.S. You will want to re-think the RPM limit. Talk to some good engine guys.

LCexplorer
11-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Thanks Tom, the prop size will give me somewhere to start looking. As for my redline of 5400, it's not really hard and fast but it's what the limit of the fuel injection currently on the engine, after that point the engine starts leaning out badly. I do believe I am on the fringe of getting new injectors so I can up that redline. The other thing is that my 350 is not that all far removed from a stock lower end except for some new pistons and so I don't know if the bottom end can substain 6000 rpm red line blasts for very long.

old rigger
11-23-2002, 03:14 PM
LCexplorer,
There's a guy on these boards that goes by the name 'stab and steer', like VD Tom, he's a great guy.
Stabber also has a beezer about the same year as yours that he's just wraping up a complete restoratin on. I think it's been in his family since new. He's runnin' a W motor in it, I think a 409 but maybe a 348. If you post a question for him, he's sure to respond, that is, if you have any other questions about these boats.
I think there's also a link on AZ Dons v-drive page to another guy with an old beezer.

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Old Rig,
Man it's great to see you posting again! Thanks for the kind words :p I miss the Old Rigger humor! Hopefully, we'll see you posting more.
LCexplorer,
I have a 16' '58 Beeser bubble tail. As Old Rigger stated, I am almost done with restoring it. I would be forever indebted to you if you could e-mail, fax or send me that article. I run a 348 Chevy that probably makes 350hp. Before the resto started, the boat had an old parallel shaft Hallcraft with 27% overdrive... I ran an 11 3/4 x 14 bronze prop. This was way too much O.D. for the boat and it would run out of motor at about 5200 RPM. Now it has a 10-degree Hallcraft with 12% and Velvet Drive. This combo should make the launch much more exciting. I picked up an 11 1/4 x 15 prop at a swap meet that I will try as well. One thing I do know, these little boats do not like a lot of MPH. They bounce real bad and the faster you go, the more the hull wants to "bow steer". It does make for an exciting ride however! I have had more than one passenger swear to never ride in it again. (Including my wife!)
Good luck,
S&S