PDA

View Full Version : Plasma vs. DLP vs. LCD

MOBrien
12-11-2006, 10:44 AM
What's the low-down on this question & which is the better route to go and why? Are they all wall-mountable?
Thanks.
-MOB

DAVEO
12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Hay Mo whats up? Hay I will talk to my son today and ask him. He knows all about these things.

MOBrien
12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
waddup Dave! Cool thanks. Prices are dropping fast on this stuff! Then again, that probably means something better will be unveiled soon too. But definitely thinking of changing up the TV room and I like the idea of a new big screen on the wall.

DAVEO
12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
waddup Dave! Cool thanks. Prices are dropping fast on this stuff! Then again, that probably means something better will be unveiled soon too. But definitely thinking of changing up the TV room and I like the idea of a new big screen on the wall.
They are great. I would have done that too but just bought a full wall unit for my 56". I think he was saying that the plasma was better but didnot last as long if you use it for gamming. But like I said Ill ask him when he gets home.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Here it is, from best to worst,
Plasma...preferably 50" or higher.
DLP/SXRD
LCOS
LCD
If you are going to play a lot of games or leave tickers on all day, then I would not recommend a plasma.

MOBrien
12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I've got a 46" Panasonic HD widescreen that we bought in 2001/2002 that is a damn good TV, but it's a consol type unit that fits into the media niche....really should be on the floor IMO. Thinkin of having a carpenter fill that hole with bookcases and put a new TV on the adjacent wall to change up the room. Would make for better viewing because my media niche is not centered to the room right now....always kinda bugged me and now that the new style TV's are dropping in price, might be a good time to make the switch.

MOBrien
12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Here it is, from best to worst,
Plasma...preferably 50" or higher.
DLP/SXRD
LCOS
LCD
If you are going to play a lot of games or leave tickers on all day, then I would not recommend a plasma.
not really into gaming...no time with the litt'lins running around. We watch a lot of sports and the kids get their fair share of their programs. Can they all be wall mounted?

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
not really into gaming...no time with the litt'lins running around. We watch a lot of sports and the kids get their fair share of their programs. Can they all be wall mounted?
No, plasmas and LCD's can, but the others are still range from 12 to 14 inches deep, next year they will be 9 inches deep which will mean they can go on a shelf, but still not have the cool wow factor of a TV on the wall. I personaly don't like mounting the TV on the wall, it limits you where you can have it. I like placing it on a stand with all the equipment underneath, this also allows you to have it at eye level which is the best way to watch TV.

purrfecttremor
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
I picked up a new plasma saturday and cant believe how cheap they are today and a very impresive pic!

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I picked up a new plasma saturday and cant believe how cheap they are today and a very impresive pic!
Yup, cause the 1080p plasmas are starting to roll out.

mxbundy
12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Plasma`s are altitude sensitive also, I just bought ba new 42" Visio LCD and the picture is great. I liked a couple of the Plasma`s but I am hoping to move to Co. soon and at 8000 elavation the plasma wouldnt work.

DAVEO
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Hay Mo , I just talked to my son and he said to talk to someone at the magnolia theaters in best buy. He said plasma would be better for what you are going to use it for. but go talk to those people at magnolia.

79centurion
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I just got the Mitsubishi 73" DLP, and it is awsome, but you cant mount it on the wall. It is much better then the 71" samsung DLP I had.
Dan