PDA

View Full Version : Kalawain

Ragemaster
01-04-2003, 03:31 AM
Anyone know where Kalawain boats were made or any history on them?

GofastRacer
01-04-2003, 05:32 AM
I found this!... :)
Kalawain (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=KLW)

1Bahnerjet
01-04-2003, 05:12 PM
All i could Find is his name was Dave Kalawain he built record setting Flatbottom Dragboats during the 70's

1Bahnerjet
01-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Hey gofastracer, your boats cool But it sure looks like a Biesemeyer to me? Am i wrong?

DUCKY
01-04-2003, 05:48 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Hey gofastracer, your boats cool But it sure looks like a Biesemeyer to me? Am i wrong? GFR's boat is a Daytona Sprint, which if my history is correct, is a splash of the Revenge hull, which was a modified Biesmeyer. I believe it has a longer deck and is slightly narrower than a standard Biesmeyer.

1Bahnerjet
01-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ?

old rigger
01-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Ragemaster,
Kalawain custom boats were made in Stanton, Ca, on Katella ave. In '64 one of their 18 footer bare hulls would set you back 1295.00 big ones.
I just got a 1964 National Boat Racing Yearbook and they had an add in there. Beautiful flatties. This mag is stuffed full of cool adds.
Wish I had a time machine.

GofastRacer
01-04-2003, 08:25 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Hey gofastracer, your boats cool But it sure looks like a Biesemeyer to me? Am i wrong? Thanks 1B, you are right, it is a Biesemeyer type boat!..The Daytona Sprint is a splash of the standard Biesemeyer by Bob Long from Sundown Marine in Ca.!..The Revenge is also a splash of the standard Biesemeyer by Bob Geottle in Az!, the only difference between the two is, the Revenge has a raised bead down the center of the deck!..Both are standard Biesemeyers, same goes for the D'Cucci, same boat but he made a "T" deck like the drag boats have!..Back then, there was a war going on between these guys, and since Rusty didn't have a patent on the boat, all you had to do is make a cosmetic change and it was legal and it still applies today!!.. :)
[ January 04, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

DUCKY
01-04-2003, 08:59 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? I could be wrong, but I think when Steele went under, Bergeron's got a set of molds, and Faulkner's got a set. I think Steele still owns one set of flattie molds and I don't know where they are, and I think the jet mold is here in Havasu. Falkner has made some bottom changes to their set and made their boats FLY.

superdave013
01-04-2003, 09:23 PM
DUCKY:
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? I could be wrong, but I think when Steele went under, Bergeron's got a set of molds, and Faulkner's got a set. I think Steele still owns one set of flattie molds and I don't know where they are, and I think the jet mold is here in Havasu. Falkner has made some bottom changes to their set and made their boats FLY. Rayson Craft has the Falkner molds. At least they did the last time I talked to Johnny.

GofastRacer
01-05-2003, 06:45 AM
DUCKY:
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? I could be wrong, but I think when Steele went under, Bergeron's got a set of molds, and Faulkner's got a set. I think Steele still owns one set of flattie molds and I don't know where they are, and I think the jet mold is here in Havasu. Falkner has made some bottom changes to their set and made their boats FLY. Yeah, Phil has a set but if I'm not mistaken, Steele still owns the Biesemeyer name?...

1Bahnerjet
01-05-2003, 07:57 AM
GofastRacer:
DUCKY:
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? I could be wrong, but I think when Steele went under, Bergeron's got a set of molds, and Faulkner's got a set. I think Steele still owns one set of flattie molds and I don't know where they are, and I think the jet mold is here in Havasu. Falkner has made some bottom changes to their set and made their boats FLY. Yeah, Phil has a set but if I'm not mistaken, Steele still owns the Biesemeyer name?... ================================================== ================================================== Thanks for the info I've always thought Biesemeyers were too cool, ever since i saw COLDFIRE racing in the late '70s

GofastRacer
01-05-2003, 08:35 AM
1Bahnerjet:
GofastRacer:
DUCKY:
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? I could be wrong, but I think when Steele went under, Bergeron's got a set of molds, and Faulkner's got a set. I think Steele still owns one set of flattie molds and I don't know where they are, and I think the jet mold is here in Havasu. Falkner has made some bottom changes to their set and made their boats FLY. Yeah, Phil has a set but if I'm not mistaken, Steele still owns the Biesemeyer name?... ================================================== ================================================== Thanks for the info I've always thought Biesemeyers were too cool, ever since i saw COLDFIRE racing in the late '70s Yeah, that was one badass boat!!.. :D

FlatRacer
01-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Does anybody know if Jim Foster still has the later style Biesemeyer, or "Bezer" (narrow transom, beveled gunnel) molds in Lake Havasu? It's been 10 yrs. since my boat was popped from that mold. I wonder how many have come out of it since. Not many, I'll bet.
FR

boatguy222
01-05-2003, 09:48 AM
FlatRacer:
Does anybody know if Jim Foster still has the later style Biesemeyer, or "Bezer" (narrow transom, beveled gunnel) molds in Lake Havasu? It's been 10 yrs. since my boat was popped from that mold. I wonder how many have come out of it since. Not many, I'll bet.
FR FR,
I had heard that the Bezer mold is in a warehouse in Havasu accross the street from RC marine, Not sure if Jim Foster still has it, but Billy B might know???

CircleJerk
01-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Bezer,Beisemeyer,Revenge,Daytona....You talk like they were the only circle boat made! Boulderdash! smile_sp

GofastRacer
01-05-2003, 02:49 PM
CircleJerk:
Bezer,Beisemeyer,Revenge,Daytona....You talk like they were the only circle boat made! Boulderdash! smile_sp No, there are a lot other ones but, it's just that they are the best!!!... :D wink :D wink

CircleJerk
01-05-2003, 05:07 PM
GGGGOOOOOfaast. Is this a hint of a challenge? Have you ever run on a SMALL course? I think thats called a sprint! How about it you Sanger,Lavey,RaysonCraft,Mandella,Hallett,and others who have raced and still race boats of this brand? Oh, I almost forgot: Aqua-Craft, SHark boat {gull bottom with 4 lapstrakes} designed by Rusty Beisemeier and Skip Volk. Check out the #57 on the Nostalgic Inboard video. Did I also forget Jones Starfire? Sorry, Seattle racers and Mr. Sked {JSSK88}. Just because you dont see these boats run anymore doesnt mean they still arent competitive on certain race courses. Mr. Gofastracer, let me know how you like the video cause youre our type of v-driver! Most of these brands have simply retired for a multitude of reasons. Am I pushing it? Oh well, guilty as charged...... smile_sp JeRk

126driver
01-05-2003, 08:50 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Ducky, wow talk about an extended Family! Hey are Biesemeyers being built somewhere in AZ. ? Biesemeyer is out of AZ right now, but pretty much inactive unless you want a SS or K.

FlatRacer
01-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Circle Jerk:
Time to pull out your old boating magazine collection and review the race reports. The brands you mentioned were all successful in circle racing in the fifties and sixties. From the mid seventies on, however, it's all Biesemeyers and Biesemeyer splashes, and an occasional Jones. This is not a coincidence.
When Rusty Biesemeyer came out with his now famous hull shape, it was a winner right off the bat. Then people like Julian Pettingil and Ray Brown started experimenting with different layups, rockers, shaft angles, etc. just R&D'ing the hell out of these things to the point where the hulls were so dominant in their respective classes that other builders just threw in the towel and began to look for one to splash. Of course, some builders were more successful at this than others.
So when you speak of nostalgia, yeah, the very idea of using a Rayson Craft, Sanger, Hondo, Lavey, Hallet, Aqua Craft, Mandella, Eliminator, to go circle racing, at least competitively, is in itself nostalgic.
FR :p

CircleJerk
01-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Ya, and finacially stupid! You're videos on the way, enjoy.
Where's Sked? smile_sp
[ January 11, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

1Bahnerjet
01-11-2003, 07:42 AM
FlatRacer:
Circle Jerk:
Time to pull out your old boating magazine collection and review the race reports. The brands you mentioned were all successful in circle racing in the fifties and sixties. From the mid seventies on, however, it's all Biesemeyers and Biesemeyer splashes, and an occasional Jones. This is not a coincidence.
When Rusty Biesemeyer came out with his now famous hull shape, it was a winner right off the bat. Then people like Julian Pettingil and Ray Brown started experimenting with different layups, rockers, shaft angles, etc. just R&D'ing the hell out of these things to the point where the hulls were so dominant in their respective classes that other builders just threw in the towel and began to look for one to splash. Of course, some builders were more successful at this than others.
So when you speak of nostalgia, yeah, the very idea of using a Rayson Craft, Sanger, Hondo, Lavey, Hallet, Aqua Craft, Mandella, Eliminator, to go circle racing, at least competitively, is in itself nostalgic.
FR :p ================================================== ================================================== FlatRacer, and at one point in the 70's Julian Pettingil won a K-Boat (unlimited) race driving a Super Stock Boat (limited). I think the race was in Idaho, this was a long time ago so I hope I don't have my Legends mixed-up. But I know he was driving a Biesemeyer.

FlatRacer
01-11-2003, 02:50 PM
CJ: Sked's hard at work on his website. Too cold right now to leave the house and heat up the shop to do some REAL work eek!
I shouldn't talk. Sked's a hundred, no, a thousand times more productive than I am. I've made it my life's mission to work as little as possible, and so far my plan has worked flawlessly!!! :D
FR

CircleJerk
01-11-2003, 05:06 PM
That's funny! I concurr with 'THE PLAN'! I'm there! smile_sp

MikeF
01-14-2003, 01:45 PM
This is the oldest ad I could find. :cool:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/1.9.JPG
It is from 1966.

CircleJerk
01-14-2003, 01:54 PM
MIKEF, You've got to get out of the closet more often! JeRksaystoocool smile_sp

MikeF
01-14-2003, 02:19 PM
CJ, That picture is at least a year older than I am :p .

CircleJerk
01-16-2003, 01:07 AM
MikeF:
CJ, That picture is at least a year older than I am :p . PUNK!.......... smile_sp