PDA

View Full Version : Need a plasma cutter right meow...

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Anybody have a plasma cutter handy in SoCal? (Preferably San Diego) I need to cut a hole in a piece of 1.5" and .5" aluminum like tomorrow...
Needs to be a good one so I can smoke right through the material.
If possible, I need to knock it out tomorrow. I also need a bitchin tig welder and someone who can run a perfect bead. .5" aluminum. Will be happy to pay handsomely.
Bueller? Bueller?

squirt'nmyload
12-12-2006, 06:06 PM
did i say somethin funny meow

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
did i say somethin funny meow
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Do you see me jumpin all nimbly-bimbly between the trees?

YeLLowBoaT
12-12-2006, 06:13 PM
how big of a hole?

squirt'nmyload
12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Do you see me jumpin all nimbly-bimbly between the trees?
nimbly-bimbly................ROTFLMFAO.......i watched it the other night on IFC

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:15 PM
how big of a hole?
18" x 8" and contoured... Basically, the hole in the back of a stern-drive boat.
We are building an aluminum transom adapter for the third and fourth boats to go from our 0 degree transom to a 12 degree transom and need to cut some parts.
This is going to suck with a jigsaw, so a plasma would be nice...

Kindsvater Flat
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a 90amp one but I'm way north. :D

YeLLowBoaT
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Do you have a 3+ hp router? If so you can make a templet out of ply and use a coller and the correct bit. Tons faster then a jig saw and way cleaner then ether a jig saw or a plasma cutter.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
....and if you dorks jack up my machining, I'll clamp you down to the table myself and machine something pretty in your stomach to memorialize the occasion.
You better hope the program is good the first shot, no "dry runs" here.
Don't flinch either, automatic "C-section" for you.
Brian

YeLLowBoaT
12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I though water jets did not do a very good job of making cuts in thicker piece of stock. Something about they are not able to cut a perfect 90 cut on larger stock.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
You are exactly right, no perfect 90 deg for sure.
Thickness is no problem though, I have had 3" waterjetted a few times.
Brian
Correct me if I am wrong, but I though water jets did not do a very good job of making cuts in thicker piece of stock. Something about they are not able to cut a perfect 90 cut on larger stock.

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
does it have to be tommorrow?

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:35 PM
does it have to be tommorrow?
The guy is on a mission

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
The guy is on a mission
to produce a plasma and a tig machine thats portable in 12 hours

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I wouldnt call it portable

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
....and if you dorks jack up my machining, I'll clamp you down to the table myself and machine something pretty in your stomach to memorialize the occasion.
You better hope the program is good the first shot, no "dry runs" here.
Don't flinch either, automatic "C-section" for you.
Brian
No machining done on this... it will be all shear-cut initially (I have the shear covered...) and I am just relieving the inside where the driveshaft goes through and the trim lines.
Not very critical... just need some space. I have the metal drill jig, so the critical part will be perfect.

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
he want to cut it at his shop right???I have portables but not tommorrow

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I was going to drive anywhere between here and San Bernadino tomorrow to do the job.
Shear work is about five minutes worth... give or take 20 for set-up. The drill work will be another couple of minutes... all of which I can do at my shop. The plasma is the only thing I am really worried about borrowing. I have a welder here at the shop, but I would have to MIG the 1/2" and I hate MIG'ing aluminum. I don't have immediate access to a TIG welder big enough.
I can do the TIG work... I just need the machine.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
PERFECT!!!!
No machining done on this... it will be all shear-cut initially (I have the shear covered...)

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
try GOPP works in miramar area.Dave is the owner,tell him Royal is your friend,if he isnt swamped he will do it.Looking for his number now,have no idea where its at

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
That part will take a whole day to fab, drill and weld.
You would need at least a 250 amp welder(probably bigger) to do the job right.
I was going to drive anywhere between here and San Bernadino tomorrow to do the job.
Shear work is about five minutes worth... give or take 20 for set-up. The drill work will be another couple of minutes... all of which I can do at my shop. The plasma is the only thing I am really worried about borrowing. I have a welder here at the shop, but I would have to MIG the 1/2" and I hate MIG'ing aluminum. I don't have immediate access to a TIG welder big enough.

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
he want to cut it at his shop right???I have portables but not tommorrow
I can bring it anywhere...
Here is the deal on the rush... I finally got the CAD done for this project on Sunday. I have an Ilmor motor being rushed to me right now, a team at Teague standing by to install a Platinum drive and the holidays coming up.
I have six solid test drives scheduled for this Christmas vacation, any one of which could be the sale of the third and fourth boats. In between me and that goal is an aluminum transom adapter that needs to be cut, welded, detailed and ground, sandblasted, powdercoated and installed prior to driving up to Valencia.
Once the crew at TCM hits next week, it is Christmas vacation time. Nothing happening until after New Years. With powdercoat being a whole day minimum, and whatever time it takes to fabricate going on, added to the drive up to San Bernadino to pick up material... we are really crunching on the timeline. I want this boat running and tested by the Christmas break, and that means I have this week to get the drive on...

Rexone
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
So can't Brian machine it? Or just too much mill time to be cost effective.

Rexone
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
My experience with last minute shit is that it ends up looking like last minute shit. :(

Kindsvater Flat
12-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't have immediate access to a TIG welder big enough.
I got a 300 amp water cooled TIG too! :D

Kindsvater Flat
I don't have immediate access to a TIG welder big enough.

riverroyal
I can bring it anywhere...
Here is the deal on the rush... I finally got the CAD done for this project on Sunday. I have an Ilmor motor being rushed to me right now, a team at Teague standing by to install a Platinum drive and the holidays coming up.
I have six solid test drives scheduled for this Christmas vacation, any one of which could be the sale of the third and fourth boats. In between me and that goal is an aluminum transom adapter that needs to be cut, welded, detailed and ground, sandblasted, powdercoated and installed prior to driving up to Valencia.
Once the crew at TCM hits next week, it is Christmas vacation time. Nothing happening until after New Years. With powdercoat being a whole day minimum, and whatever time it takes to fabricate going on, added to the drive up to San Bernadino to pick up material... we are really crunching on the timeline. I want this boat running and tested by the Christmas break, and that means I have this week to get the drive on...
a powder coating connection??I have one of those as well.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
That is THE tool right there.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Check on the powdercoater
a powder coating connection??I have one of those as well.

wsuwrhr
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
WTF are you tig welding on the farm to need a tool like that?
(anything you want i guess)
Brian

bonesfab
12-12-2006, 07:07 PM
He's got the ultimate set of tools. He can fix it....

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Check on the powdercoater
Im lost.

BIGRRNU
Hey Froggy - Hubby's got a plasma in San Diego you can go to him or I can bring it to you. We haven't used on aluminum but have cut 1 inch steel with it. We live about 10 mins from your shop. PM me and I'll arrange it.

riverroyal
ya go!

Kindsvater Flat
12-12-2006, 07:10 PM
WTF are you tig welding on the farm to need a tool like that?
(anything you want i guess)
Brian
I don't believe in preheating :D

rrrr
12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't believe in preheating :D
:D :D
Farmboys.....

victorfb
12-12-2006, 07:25 PM
if all your looking for is a plasma cut finish, wont a bansaw and a possibly a drum sander do the trick? how exact does this thing need to be? if you get in a real bind and dont mind driving to fallbrook to my junk yard, i may be able to help you out. A band saw cut and finished with a drum sander and my little miller syncrowave 180SD has done the trick on .5 aluminum for me many times. just as long as it isnt a very long weld. at that high or amps, that torch starts heating up real good.

Kindsvater Flat
12-12-2006, 07:37 PM
:D :D
Farmboys.....
If we could quit this we wouldn't be welding so much. Just glad the top speed is 20mph.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_ATT00206.jpg

WetWillie
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
2nd option...
Call Dana at ASC he is in your neck of the woods... He should have the plasma you need and does bitchen Tig welding.
Dana Czech 619.379.2345

rrrr
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
If we could quit this we wouldn't be welding so much. Just glad the top speed is 20mph.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_ATT00206.jpg
LOL.....air conditioning and cold beer.......:D

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Froggy - Hubby's got a plasma in San Diego you can go to him or I can bring it to you. We haven't used on aluminum but have cut 1 inch steel with it. We live about 10 mins from your shop. PM me and I'll arrange it.
You rock! Thanks for the offer. I am going to call this gent Dana first though and see if I can get a pro to knock it out first, and then go the "do it yourself" route if need be.
First step is to get the metal and get to shearing.
I love this place... Thanks everyone!

ULTRA26 # 1
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
You rock! Thanks for the offer. I am going to call this gent Dana first though and see if I can get a pro to knock it out first, and then go the "do it yourself" route if need be.
First step is to get the metal and get to shearing.
I love this place... Thanks everyone!
Good luck Wes
John M

Froggystyle
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
So can't Brian machine it? Or just too much mill time to be cost effective.
Neither. Brian can, but I threw him under the bus time-wise and pinched myself for time pretty badly here.
I need it faster than it can be milled properly I fear.
This really isn't that difficult a part. Realistically, there are only two pieces on here that are going to be any different than if I milled it all... the outer perimeter of the boat plate which was getting a 1/4 round bullnose (I can do that with a router very, very easily) and the inner hole cutout. The 9/16" holes are done on a jig, which is easy enough to undertake and the actual plasma'd out hole will be covered on both sides by the transom assembly. Not that it will look bad though... I have cut 1 1/2" aluminum many times with a good sized plasma torch and it comes out looking like a bandsaw if you know what you are doing.
People cut these holes in fiberglass and wood with a sawzall. It will be absolutely up to standard being cut with a plasma.

Hallett19
12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Dont those guys at Eliminator in El Cajon have anything like that ?
There is always the Omlette Factory, they might have something like that..... :)
good seeing you the other day, and the pinizzer snozzer too!!

NashvilleBound
12-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Wes, If you still need this as of today call me. I can set you up in Escondido.....

CornWater
12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Do i look like a feline? Do i lap milk out of a saucer???
:D

superdave013
12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
check your pm

boater012
12-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey Wes if you still need this today and havent gotten anyone to help you out yet, I have a plasma and you can use my shop to do the work in. but you will have to drive to long beach???:confused:
P.s. I have a good friend who is a fabricator just up the street from me who could probably weld it for you when you are done cutting it and drilling it!

h2oski2fast
12-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Call Gary at DBG Concepts, I believe you have his number.

FryJet
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey Wes, did you give Butch @ Jiffy Machine a call? He's around the corner from you across from Truck n Stuff. I havnt used him in a while but it's worth a shot.
F.J.

Froggystyle
12-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help everyone... I am going to try to get the machine work done, weld it up and powdercoat the outside in time to make all of this happen.
Nice to have a plan B, C and D though!
Thanks again,
Wes