PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Zaairman
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I've been thinking recently on what to do with my boat's power situation. Currently, I've got a 1973 16' Tahiti with a 1973 Chrysler 135 HP motor on it. The motor runs like a champ, but, I'm wanting more power and speed. So, I've been kinda looking at new motors in the 150 - 200HP range, however, the price tags and the work that would be needed to my boat are scaring me away. After talking to a friend, he suggested that I could get my current motor bored over, and get the carbs rejetted and blah blah blah. I DO NOT have an endless budget like some of you ballers, so obviously cost is a huge factor of what I should do. Any advice?

Tom Brown
12-12-2006, 11:13 PM
After talking to a friend, he suggested that I could get my current motor bored over, and get the carbs rejetted and blah blah blah
Did he say that stuff with a straight face?
I would adivse you not to modify your old CryCo unless you are trying to beat a felony rap on an insanity plea.
Get a 1990+ Merc 135~200. A Merc 200 will have roughly double the power of your old Crysler and should take you deep into the 80s with little trouble.
I've heard it's not particularly safe to go these kind of speeds in a 16' v-bottom boat. Are you sure you and your hull can handle double it's current speed?
Even a Merc 135 ought to get you well into the 50s.
The small OMC outboard is pretty good too but they're a little heavier than the Mercs and these tiny v-hulls are so sensitive to weight.
If it were me, I'd probably go with whatever engine I thought was the best deal. If you can find something in decent shape for a reasonable price, the brand is probably less relevant.
Oh... one more piece of advice... I would be extremely careful when buying an engine that is a fresh rebuild. There's often a reason it was just rebuilt and the owner is dumping it.

YeLLowBoaT
12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
never ever, buy anything off of scream and fly with "dyno time only"
If you do somelooking you should be able to find a used motor some where in good shape for a decent price.

Zaairman
12-13-2006, 10:10 AM
The Chrysler 135 is already pushing me to about 50+/-. The boat itself is rated for a 200 HP motor, and the transom has been reinforced. And yes, weight is another big issue for me. The Chrysler weighs in at about 320lbs or so I'm told. Most of 200HP motors weigh about 100 lbs more.

Towndrunk
12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
A 200 merc will weigh in at 370-390. It is so much better of a motor than that Chizler it isn't funny. It won't double your speed but it will get you in the 65-85 range depending on your hulls capability and your ability to drive it. I don't know if Tahitis are a pad boat or a v at the back therefore the wide speed spectrum. Dump the Chizler.

aaronmt73
12-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I had that same boat with a 150 merc , belive me 63 in that hull(won of my favorite looking with metalflake) is a handful id stick with a 135 or 150 V6. ONe way to go for a longer lasting motor that you can usualy get cheaper is a yamaha anywhere from mid 80's u and up i have a 87 and have never had a problem good luck. Aaron

You Te
12-30-2006, 07:35 AM
I've heard it's not particularly safe to go these kind of speeds in a 16' v-bottom boat.
I heard of some crazy guy going 100 MPH in a little 16 v.:D :D

Towndrunk
12-31-2006, 03:47 PM
I went 103 in a 1979 Hydrostream Viper(15'). Pushed by a BP back in da day. No big deal. I keep hearing these so called experts saying that a viper wont do it. Yeah, Right!!

Evin Rude
01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Did he say that stuff with a straight face?
I would adivse you not to modify your old CryCo unless you are trying to beat a felony rap on an insanity plea.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom, you are truly one of a kind!
ER

stoker2001
01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom, you are truly one of a kind!
ERDITTO to that,hey get back to work on carving my swivel up on the mill:D If i hual my junk 35 hours to Marble Falls in August 2007 for IHBA race,you better make an appearance;)