PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

Community
12-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Looking for feedback on Ellis Trailers. Anybody here buy one recently? Seems like I see a ton of Extreme Trailers. Just wondering about quality, fit and finish and customer service? Seeing how a new one costs more than I have ever paid for a boat just wanted to do some homework.
Thanks.

THOR
12-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I have had Extreme and Competitive. Both were great. But, the competitive was a triple axle and towed awesome. Also, the Comp. was much heavier as well. I am happey with my Extreme now though too.
One additional thing, I would suggest NOT going with the 'oil bath' hubs. They work fine, but are much harder to work on. Just my opinion.

TheCarDudes
12-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I have the Ellis on my Howard. Tows great. Love it!
FYI - I think Ellis trailers is out of business. Their main # 818-361-4011 is disconnected. I think they closed a month ago.
I heard that a few boat manufacturers (including Howard) have had to scramble and get some Extremes built right away to just deliver boats on time.

RitcheyRch
12-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Seems more and more trailer mfgs are going out of business. My buddy, Chuck Gunther closed Ultimate Trailers a few years ago.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I've used Extremes.
Could never get any customer service.
They fell apart and the powder coat peeled after a year or two.
Not really impressed, but figure all the builders are about par with them.
Freshwater use only and had some serious rust issues too.

Hustler
12-14-2006, 08:28 AM
FYI - I think Ellis trailers is out of business. Their main # 818-361-4011 is disconnected. I think they closed a month ago.
I heard that a few boat manufacturers (including Howard) have had to scramble and get some Extremes built right away to just deliver boats on time.
I think your right. I drive by there every day and have noticed in the last couple weeks that the shop doors are never open. I know Bob was doing pretty bad and his son had taken over and was'nt running things very well.

Hustler
12-14-2006, 08:29 AM
My buddy, Chuck Gunther closed Ultimate Trailers a few years ago.
That was not because of lack of work. It's to bad because they built a great trailer.

RitcheyRch
12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Chuck was going through a NASTY divorce. He should re-open now that his ex-wife remarried. My ex-wife is good friends with his ex-wife.
That was not because of lack of work. It's to bad because they built a great trailer.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Ellis is out of business. Closed up shop a few weeks ago, fired all of the employees. Delayed our boat delivery as the builder had to switch over to Extreme.

xs ultra
12-14-2006, 10:48 AM
My Extreme is built great .What I don't like is the way they paint them.
Fnish is good but it seems to rust on the step plate area from bad prep work.
3year old trailer and had to sand and paint a few areas.Again a well built trailer .

Keith E. Sayre
12-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I have an Ellis trailer that's a gazillion years old and still looks new. He built good trailers but I heard his health
is real bad now. Someone said Alzheimers? Don't know
for sure.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Singleton
12-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Went with a Zeiman over a Extreme with my Ultra.
Zeiman is trying to win more work at Ultra, so the price was much lower then Extreme.
Zeiman is another sold trailer company, but is not known as much as Extreme.

MudPumper
12-14-2006, 11:23 AM
I think your right. I drive by there every day and have noticed in the last couple weeks that the shop doors are never open. I know Bob was doing pretty bad and his son had taken over and was'nt running things very well.
It's too bad...because Eillis had a much higher quality than Extreme. Better customer service too.

RiverDave
12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I'll be buying another Zeiman trailer here in the beginning of january.
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll be buying another Zeiman trailer here in the beginning of january.
RD
Is Zieman using stainless steel bolts on their boat trailers now?

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2006, 04:15 PM
It's too bad...because Eillis had a much higher quality than Extreme. Better customer service too.
From what I understand, the founders son was not exactly an easy guy to deal with.....Quality issues over the last couple of years had been popping up.....

RiverDave
12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Is Zieman using stainless steel bolts on their boat trailers now?
What exactly are you "bolting" on the trailer? Everything should be welded on? If your referring to the bunks, then yes they are using stainless bolts? I have a grip of them out back that I got from them to replace the bunks on my Nordic trailer and they were all stainless?
Pretty sure for their boat trailers they've always used stainless?
RD

Ultrafied
12-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I've used Extremes.
Could never get any customer service.
They fell apart and the powder coat peeled after a year or two.
Not really impressed, but figure all the builders are about par with them.
Freshwater use only and had some serious rust issues too.
Wow, 2 years on my Extreme and its been great. Customer service? They have been phenominal with me. I took mine back to have another option installed, they tuned the trailer free of charge. They called me back after 6 months and asked me to bring it in again for service (I didn't ask). Way cool.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
What exactly are you "bolting" on the trailer? Everything should be welded on? If your referring to the bunks, then yes they are using stainless bolts? I have a grip of them out back that I got from them to replace the bunks on my Nordic trailer and they were all stainless?
Pretty sure for their boat trailers they've always used stainless?
RD
Yep was referring to the bunks. Our last boat trailer, a Zieman, did not use stainless steel bolts. When I called and asked if I could get some from Zieman I was told they did not use stainless steel bolts on their trailers.....

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow, 2 years on my Extreme and its been great. Customer service? They have been phenominal with me. I took mine back to have another option installed, they tuned the trailer free of charge. They called me back after 6 months and asked me to bring it in again for service (I didn't ask). Way cool.
Well, Extreme phucks up as well. Just found out they made the trailer for our boat wrong so we are not taking deliver tomorrow.....

HOTPURSUIT
12-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, Extreme phucks up as well. Just found out they made the trailer for our boat wrong so we are not taking deliver tomorrow.....
check out pacific trailers in chino... all stainless nuts and bolts, torsion axles and even stainless disk brakes. sharp looking trailer.. Good Luck

Michael Livingston
12-30-2006, 11:53 AM
For everyone in need of trailer repair or a custom built new v-drive/outdrive trailers, I will be open for business in February 2007. My shop is located at 39360 3rd Street East, Unit 307-A, Palmdale, CA. 93550. If interested you can contact me by E-mail at boattrailer@adelphia.net I get phone service in the shop. I am formerly of Ellis Trailers, 22yrs, many of you know me and my work.
I will post more information as I get it but feel free to E-mail me and I will contact you immediately.
Mike Livingston
Livingston Custom Boat Trailers

craiginlaverne
12-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I would check out Pacific Boat Trailers in Chino They do any kind of repairs and upgrades to trailers you can think of. If you get a chance check out their new line of all welded alum. trailers. Sundance marine in Newport beach has a bunch of them under their boats. They are on PCH next to the bayliner dealership.:idea: