PDA

View Full Version : Cricle Racer Question... How fast...

voodooCanoe
06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
I have been reading the posts on how fast some of the guys are getting clocked... (i.e. Billy B's 141). My question is how much speed can the hull
handle without getting tail lift? I know that setting the plate up with a gull wing or slight concave will make a vacuum to stick the tail, but
at those speeds where is line of no return? I know
I wouldn't run over 130 on a drag set up without a wing!

LeE ss13
06-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I think the configuration of the bottom is different than a drag boat. Someone told me once there is less rocker in them. This one is a Revenge.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308K69_2-med.jpg

voodooCanoe
06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Yes, there is usually less rocker, but there has to be a tremendous amount of air and prop pressure
on the bottom of the hull.

Jake W
06-26-2003, 03:49 PM
nice pics het VoodooCanoe did you get your name from a restro in hot boat a few years back?I think it was a greenish blue Hondo?
Jake :D

boatguy222
06-26-2003, 05:23 PM
voodooCanoe:
Yes, there is usually less rocker, but there has to be a tremendous amount of air and prop pressure
on the bottom of the hull. But the props are alot different between a TAF and a K-boat, also the hp is less in a circle boat. so your talking apples and oranges.
BTW are you the guy who told Nordling that he had to change the name on his boat????

GofastRacer
06-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Circle boats and drag boats are two different species, night and day!.. :)

voodooCanoe
06-27-2003, 06:45 AM
BOATGUY- Yea, that was me who asked him to change the name, but it wasn't George, it was the guy who bought the boat, I think George drives for him. Actually have had the name for about 10 years. We race with CDBA in Eugene and about a year ago the name finds its way to the back of a boat in Eugene in the same colors and lettering. They were dealing with us on some parts at a swap meet and we agreed on a price and a name change on the boat :D . I didn't know if he changed the name or not.
Jake - I think the name of that hydro was the Hot Boat express. The story was called the Voodoo Canoe.
Still, where is the safe point with a circle hull?
[ June 27, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: voodooCanoe ]

SK48
06-30-2003, 06:10 PM
I don't know but I watched Gordie Jennings make a two way Kilo pass at over 146 M.P.H. in a revenge at Parker for the record. I don't know of a drag boat ever trying to run a Kilo, or if they could do one. A kilo record is an average time over a 5/8 mile with a running start. You are running wide open for the whole distance and your speed is for the whole 5/8 mile. Not just the speed through the timing traps at the end of 1320 feet like a drag race. I'm sure Gordie was running without a wing at over 155 m.p.h because his one pass was just over 150, and his average for the two way run was 146.

DaveA
06-30-2003, 06:27 PM
GofastRacer:
Circle boats and drag boats are two different species, night and day!.. :) Yea, but what about cricle boats?? Where do they fit in?
Just going around in cricles all day long...LOL J/K guys...couldn't resist...
:D :D :D

GofastRacer
06-30-2003, 07:53 PM
DaveA:
GofastRacer:
Circle boats and drag boats are two different species, night and day!.. :) Yea, but what about cricle boats?? Where do they fit in?
Just going around in cricles all day long...LOL J/K guys...couldn't resist...
:D :D :D But wouldn't you rather be out there for 10 to 15 minutes instead of 8 seconds!.. :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-01-2003, 08:01 PM
LeE ss13:
I think the configuration of the bottom is different than a drag boat. Someone told me once there is less rocker in them. This one is a Revenge.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308K69_2-med.jpg The K-Boat Kilo speed Record was 140 in 1974! The Current Kilo record is still held by this boat at 146, I believe they were running about 1600 horsepower through 60 gears with a 12/17 wheel. The record setting pilot of "Freedom", was Gordon Jennings who works at Pfaff Racing Engines in Huntington beach Ca. call him up and get his thoughts on this!! :cool: :cool:

LeE ss13
07-02-2003, 06:06 AM
I think Circle Boats fly better than Drag Boats....and for 5 miles at a time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308ssra_parker0002.jpg
OK .. here's the real deal. I just found this picture posted on the SSRA web site from the April Parker Race and just shamelessly had to post it. I will definately give this photographer a call. New family greeting cards are in order !!!

FlatRacer
07-02-2003, 07:42 PM
The increased rocker on a K-Boat is there for the same reason as the extra long and gull winged cavitation plates. Namely, to create a low pressure area under the rear of the boat to counteract the boat's tendency to rise up like a hydro and plane on the strut barrel and prop hub.
In contrast, I've seen Biesemeyers that were built as recreational skiboats (built in side gas tanks, etc.) that had almost no rocker.
Super Stocks, SKs and Pro Stocks are somewhere inbetween.
FR :p

126driver
07-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Sweet pic Larry. :cool: That photo guy always gets good shots.