PDA

View Full Version : How long before someone twin turbos an Ilmore?

STV_Keith
12-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I can't believe it's been around this long and no one has done it yet. The Viper motors are showing their strengths out there in the Viper car community.
This one is now the world record holder for quickest Viper, quickest 6-speed manual and quickest IRS car, bar none! Over 1670hp to the rear wheels! And the dang thing is a street car. Turn the boost down and drive it around town without problems. Makes 1100+rwhp on pump gas and over 1200rwhp on 100 octane.
http://users.lvcm.com/racer74/extreme/Underground-Garth-World-Rec.wmv

Froggystyle
12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
I can't believe it's been around this long and no one has done it yet. The Viper motors are showing their strengths out there in the Viper car community.
This one is now the world record holder for quickest Viper, quickest 6-speed manual and quickest IRS car, bar none! Over 1670hp to the rear wheels! And the dang thing is a street car. Turn the boost down and drive it around town without problems. Makes 1100+rwhp on pump gas and over 1200rwhp on 100 octane.
http://users.lvcm.com/racer74/extreme/Underground-Garth-World-Rec.wmv
I talked to Ilmor regarding it on ours and they said it was a poor fit with the internal components, the aluminum block etc... They did not recommend forced induction for them in fact.

NashvilleBound
12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
When I first got mine I called John Hennessey and talked to him about it. He said he was just wrapping up his first marine application. Never heard any more. He might be someone to ask....... I did learn that when John reworks one of these it sounds like the only thing left stock IS the block....
BTW: they are replacing both heads in my Viper.... a few guilds and valves are just not right.....go figure. Burning one quart every 500 miles. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

STV_Keith
12-14-2006, 04:38 PM
I talked to Ilmor regarding it on ours and they said it was a poor fit with the internal components, the aluminum block etc... They did not recommend forced induction for them in fact.
See the video posted...obviously not the case. :)

HCS
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
That's pretty damn fast there.

H20 Toie
12-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Be VERY careful of anything having to do with Hennessey, he has screwed a lot of people over the years. never ever send your boat to him.

GETSOME
12-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Be VERY careful of anything having to do with Hennessey, he has screwed a lot of people over the years. never ever send your boat to him.
Ditto. I have many many bad things about the company.

Froggystyle
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
See the video posted...obviously not the case. :)
That they didn't recommend it? I know what you mean, but that was what they said. Not recommended.
Of course, one of their qualification trials they do to judge whether or not a package is strong enough to have their name on it is to dyno an engine at full throttle, braking the RPM's to split the difference between max torque and max power and leave it there for 100 hours. If it can't do it, they don't sell it.

707dog
12-14-2006, 05:32 PM
damn that sucka is fast!!

STV_Keith
12-14-2006, 06:39 PM
That they didn't recommend it? I know what you mean, but that was what they said. Not recommended.
Of course, one of their qualification trials they do to judge whether or not a package is strong enough to have their name on it is to dyno an engine at full throttle, braking the RPM's to split the difference between max torque and max power and leave it there for 100 hours. If it can't do it, they don't sell it.
Gotcha. I doubt any of the big HP engines would take that kind of abuse. Sterling 1650's or whatever. I know that Viper made 1670 at the wheel, which should put it around 1800 at the crank, maybe more. That also translated to 2000+ft-lbs. at 4200rpm. I wouldn't want to load it there indefinitely (not that you could). :)

HCS
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I guess Froggystyle needs to make his deck boat go 150mph so everyone can fly out and die.
Then maybe they'll be some satisfied board members. :squiggle:

Froggystyle
12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
I guess Froggystyle needs to make his deck boat go 150mph so everyone can fly out and die.
Then maybe they'll be some satisfied board members. :squiggle:
Don't kid yourself... nobody will ever be satisfied around here...
I am going to be doing a hard-deck version though that will flat haul-ass in style and comfort. Unique shape and acoutrements, plus the infusion for weight and strength.

HCS
12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I am going to be doing a hard-deck version though that will flat haul-ass in style and comfort. Unique shape and acoutrements, plus the infusion for weight and strength.
That I can't wait to see....
Any prototype drawings??

Blacksheep
12-15-2006, 12:37 AM
I also spoke with Ilmor earlier this past spring about performance upgrades. Ian stated they had just sent Hennessey a letter asking them not to use their engines in their advertisement and to remove the Ilmor Marine picture.
Ian stated the block will not stand to much extra power. He did not think it was a good idea to fit forced induction to these engines for marina applications. At the time he didn't know of any one using their product with the Ilmor engines. I think based on Ilmor's experience and many horror stories from people dealing with Hennessey, I would opt to go with Ilmor's advice on this one.

Infomaniac
12-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Gotcha. I doubt any of the big HP engines would take that kind of abuse. Sterling 1650's or whatever.
100 hours is more than the service life on those high end engines. Before needing reshened up.

TexasChopper
12-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Read the same thing on a Viper Forum. There were a bunch of people talking about him. Apparently after he has the check he could care less about any problems you have. There are several shops around though that do Vipers. Racing Solutions is one www.racingsolutionsltd.com

Hallett19
12-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah, this place wreaks of greed.... :cool:

STV_Keith
12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
I was certainly not implying for the Frogster to put one in the Revolution. I've been in that boat and it moves as it is. With the prop, it will flat haul the mail. With that kind of power, I wouldn't get in. :) As an infusiast, it would be cool to see though.
RSI is one tuner shop that does it. They probably have the worst reputation of the guys that can get it done. Hennessey is below them. Jason Heffner at Heffners performance can get it done nicely, and so can Underground Racing, who built the car in the video.