PDA

View Full Version : Photo Radar Ticket In Tempe AZ!!! Anyone know how to Fight them

hondajoey
01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Got a Ticket in the mail yesterday and wanted to know if anyone has fought one with any luck, I was going 50mph in a 40 (Allegedly), in Tempe AZ off Rural South of University by one of the vans that parks on the side of the road and takes photos, Bastards have a good pic of my face is the only problem, looks like I will have some Saturday school coming up.

shadow
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I heard about someone getting a photo ticket in the mail.
He took a picture of the cash (fine) and sent it in.
They sent him back a picture of handcuffs.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
You could always go the route of not responding to it, however they will attempt to serve you in person and if they find you, you then have to deal with the ticket as well as pay for the process server. If you read the fine print on the ticket, by responding to it and signing it, you're acknowleging the improper service and waiving your rights. The USPS loses all kinds of mail on a regular basis. They have 120 days to find you or the ticket has to be dismissed.
Or so I've heard. ;)
p.s. Tempe always has one somewhere on Scottsdale Rd right around campus. :D

JB in so cal
01-24-2006, 05:12 PM
LOL!
I also heard they're snapping away in Scottsdale. 2000 tickets the first day. Anything over 10mph above posted...

hondajoey
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
yea it was just south of university on rural road, they must of had goten a few when i passed by because i was the slowest on the road usually, f-ing jerks.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I alos heard they're snapping away in Scottsdale. 2000 tickets the first day. Anything over 10mph above posted...
That's on the 101 freeway. Scottsdale has had PR for years. They've got red light cameras that will also take your picture if you're 10 over on a green light. It's all revenue. The 101 freeway is the latest in the quest for revenue. They have 3 cameras on the stretch from Scottsdale Rd to Raintree. One of the news channels was reporting on it yesterday and said if you went through at 76 and got hit with every camera you'd have 3 valid tickets. Seems to me that would be triple jeopardy if they were all issued at the same speed. Going to have a series of wrecks when people lock up the brakes for the cameras. It's already started.
BTW, the speed limit there is 65 and the cameras flash at 76. They're giving warnings for the first month then the warnings stop and the dollars start rollin' in.
Oh, and much like Cali, if not rush hour, doing 65 will get you run off the road. Average speed there is around 80 or so, and at that I've been passed like I'm standing still.

hondajoey
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
LOL!
I also heard they're snapping away in Scottsdale. 2000 tickets the first day. Anything over 10mph above posted...
Yep on the 101 in Scottsdale it looks like a pileup when everyone slams on there brakes when they get up to them

slink
01-24-2006, 05:22 PM
plastic surgery :)

Throttle
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
now, that is funny!

rollin24/7
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Got one of those myself a couple years ago. If your guilty then just pay the fine. I'm pretty sure paying the fine through the mail, will be a lot less expensive then driving out there and fighting it. I was guilty of speeding and that is what I did. Just my 2 cents.

Vin-Dog
01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Got a Ticket in the mail yesterday and wanted to know if anyone has fought one with any luck, I was going 50mph in a 40 (Allegedly), in Tempe AZ off Rural South of University by one of the vans that parks on the side of the road and takes photos, Bastards have a good pic of my face is the only problem, looks like I will have some Saturday school coming up.
Here's what you do. Send a check for two dollars over the amount of the ticket. They will send you back a check for the two bucks. DO NOT CASH IT!!! They can't finish the process until you cash the check. I've heard this a while back, they said it works. Good luck!!

Jordy
01-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's what you do. Send a check for two dollars over the amount of the ticket. They will send you back a check for the two bucks. DO NOT CASH IT!!! They can't finish the process until you cash the check. I've heard this a while back, they said it works. Good luck!!
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp
That doesn't work. And then they know you got the ticket. If you want to beat it, don't do anything with it. It comes first class mail. They can't prove that you ever received it. Read the fine print at the bottom where you have to sign before you send it in. ;)
But if you were legitimately in the wrong, just pay the ticket and get it over with. ;)

sorry dog
01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
I heard you can pay tickets in pesos, and with the exchange rate, it's much cheaper.

Wet Dream
01-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Thats about 15 years old now.

Brian Ray
01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
You could always go the route of not responding to it, however they will attempt to serve you in person and if they find you, you then have to deal with the ticket as well as pay for the process server. If you read the fine print on the ticket, by responding to it and signing it, you're acknowleging the improper service and waiving your rights. The USPS loses all kinds of mail on a regular basis. They have 120 days to find you or the ticket has to be dismissed.
Or so I've heard. ;)
I've heard this works too... ;) It's been six months and counting.....but I did move into a new house :)

2Driver
01-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Or so I've heard. ;)
I heard the same thing (I think on the local news) about ducking the ticket that way. I guess I wouldn't like knowing at any minute some sheriff is going to be pounding on my door for the next 4 months or catching me pulling in the driveway, but I hear it works. Be sure to always check boating forums for legal advice first! :D :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2006, 07:37 PM
yea it was just south of university on rural road, they must of had goten a few when i passed by because i was the slowest on the road usually, f-ing jerks.
Yeah! DAMN the police for ENFORCING THE LAWS! Man up and pay it, accept responsibility for your actions.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I guess I wouldn't like knowing at any minute some sheriff is going to be pounding on my door for the next 4 months or catching me pulling in the driveway, but I hear it works.
Typically it's not a sheriff as it's a private company that runs the photo radar business (that's right business) and the cities get a percentage. My cousin got served a few years ago by some sweet little old lady asking for directions. They're sneaky. Better off just taking your lumps. ;)

Boatcop
01-24-2006, 07:42 PM
These are considered "Civil" traffic violations. No signature is required. Just as if a real live cop pulls you over and writes you a civil ticket and you refuse to sign*. He'll just drop it in your lap. Or a parking ticket left on the windshield. Service by mail is sufficient.
Ignore it? Guess what. The next time you get pulled over you go to jail, since they've suspended your license.
Fight it. Pay it. Whatever. But don't ignore it.
Traffic school is available, if you don't want the license points. If it's the principle, many lawyers make a good living defending traffic tickets. The reason they make a good living is that they charge you 5 thousand dollars to get you out of a 2 hundred dollar ticket. (now THAT'S the real revenue generator.)
*If it were a criminal traffic violation, and you refused to sign, the officer is bound by law to take you in front of the nearest magistrate. In this state, that means you go to jail, and see the judge within 24 hours.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2006, 07:42 PM
My cousin got served a few years ago by some sweet little old lady asking for directions.
That sucks! But I'm sure perfectly legal, but sneaky is right.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
BC, I hate to disagree with you, but seeing how it's not an officer of the court witnessing the act, being that it's a camera that is run by a private business, different rules apply, especially since it's not even a real signature on the complaint, it's a computer print out. Lots of problems with the PR tickets, at least according to a friend who happens to be an attorney. They try and make it scary, but the envelopes don't even come from the city, it's from some BUSINESS. All bark, no bite.
Read the bottom of a ticket and the rights you're signing away by responding to it. All they can do is try to serve you. Or so I've heard. ;)
But again, if you were speeding, by all means, you should pay the ticket. :D

Brian Ray
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, I know for a fact it isn't on my driving record as I've since renewed my license and reg. three vehicles in the last month and a half. Maybe it's because the car was in my name and it was a picture of a lady (wife)....not sure. Talked to my buddy who is with the local PD and another buddy who is a CHP and said the company (business) they use is located in AZ and they take a nice size % of the ticket. BS if you ask me.....but hey I'm a criminal (because I didn't received some stupid letter in the mail ;) ) so what do I know. :yuk:

SB
01-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Wear a wig when you drive, blame your wife or your mother.

a catered life
01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Wear a wig when you drive, blame your wife or your mother.
lmao that was what i was going to say :p

PowellScooter
01-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Man up and pay it. :crossx:

Jeanyus
01-25-2006, 03:52 PM
I fought one, I used my check book. :rolleyes:

AZJD
01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Move to Mexico, and show them you aren't taking any chit from the man!

PHX ATC
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I agree with Jordy...since it's a private company taking the pics, it's a whole different ball game.
120 days goes by in a flash...or so I've heard. :220v: