PDA

View Full Version : Corosion/ Electrolisiss inside pump suction and bowl

DUECE'SDAD
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Just had my pump blasted and there is some noticibly good sized pitting in spots. I was thinking of wiping with some all metal or duraglass highbuild prime and then painting, how big of deal is a little ruffness inside of the suction housing on a 50mph jetboat. Should i even mess with it ??

sleekcrafter
12-16-2006, 06:10 AM
I guess you could put a Zinc anode on your pump, this may stop the corrosion in the future. On the pump I would prime it first, then fill it, sand it then reprime it. Oh your gonna need all the tricks to keep the sleekcraft running in the 50's, 4800rpm will get you 60mph with an AA impeller.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Not worth bothering with. My Taylor was in her prime running 70, with a "F" pump, with 2 of the mounting bolts protruding about 2 threads into the water IN the intake, and un-cleaned up lumps of epoxy all arround the metal part of the intake, where it was glued into the 'glass hull part of the intake (You'd have to see the "E/F" intake to understand, it uses a molding in the hull as part of the intake). Didn't bother it a bit. I did clean and smooth the whole mess up last winter when re-gelling the hull, but don't know what benefit it did. Didn't hurt anything tho.
I would fill it in and smooth it, but don't expect to pick up 4 or 5 hidden MPH.

77Woodbridge
12-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Not worth bothering with. My Taylor was in her prime running 70, with a "F" pump, with 2 of the mounting bolts protruding about 2 threads into the water IN the intake, and un-cleaned up lumps of epoxy all arround the metal part of the intake, where it was glued into the 'glass hull part of the intake (You'd have to see the "E/F" intake to understand, it uses a molding in the hull as part of the intake). Didn't bother it a bit. I did clean and smooth the whole mess up last winter when re-gelling the hull, but don't know what benefit it did. Didn't hurt anything tho.
I would fill it in and smooth it, but don't expect to pick up 4 or 5 hidden MPH.
Thanks, great stuff. :)