PDA

View Full Version : Holley rebuild at home??

1000mhz
09-22-2001, 04:49 PM
Im going to rebuild my holley 850/dp myself. I dont have a carb tank/dip/soaker to eat at all those hard to get places. Can anybody suggest a good step by step without using a tank. I want to get rid of all this corrosion in the bowls but dont know of a strong enouph cleaner to get rid of it all.
thanks guys!
"ADM sucks"

spectras only
09-22-2001, 05:29 PM
Get some muriatic acid,dip the parts in for a few minutes and watch the corrosion go away.Thoroughly wash the parts with soapy water afterwards,and use compressed air to blow through the passages.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2001, 05:46 PM
I remember a few years ago I bought a small parts dip product from the local auto parts- it was about the size of a coffee can, with a little basket for dipping.
Otherwise, you can take the spectras only approach, and use a big coffee can to keep from making a mess.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

1000mhz
09-22-2001, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys, I will try spectras idea.
keep those ideas comming if anybody else has any ideas!
"ADM sucks"

froggystyle
09-24-2001, 11:30 PM
Not to be a D@#k, but the only carb rebuilding I do at home anymore is ordering a new one from Summit. I discovered long ago that it went bad for a reason, or was being rebuilt for a reason. Inevitably, the bushings, passages, baseplate trueness, or some other thing was the cause of the problem, and all I do is end up inside smelling like gas with half of a rebuild kit in my emergency spares tool box.
Carb shops are really good at rebuilding carbs, and when done right, they outperform new ones tenfold. Plus, they look a lot better, and you usually get a cool sticker for your air cleaner!

1000mhz
09-25-2001, 12:18 AM
Well thanks Froggy but it looks like the muriatic acid worked out great. I must say it was kinda hard to fing though. Home Depot sent back all there shipment because the stuff was leaking threw the milk carton like containers in the sun they were stored in. Lowes was sold out, K-mart n/a, Walmart carries seasonal (not in season). Finally found at a mom and pops hardware store. When I finally got my hands on the stuff it really cleaned up all the crap in the bowls just great. Everythings back together and throttle responce alone seems a lot better. The real test will be in the water though!

spectras only
09-25-2001, 08:55 AM
No offence Froggy, but some of us like to hang on to what we have ,especially if it's easily rebuildable.I myself have a lathe like many of my hotrod friends ,so it's part of the fun to DIY http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.I had excellent results with the acid to revitalize the aluminium [english ver] parts for my old motorcycles.

froggystyle
09-25-2001, 09:11 AM
I am putting the muriatic acid idea in my toolbox for sure! I have a great picture of what it would do for a corroded intake manifold. I was just saying that more times than not, I have seen a "freshly rebuilt" carb hanging on someones wall, and I personnally don't have a lathe. Matter of fact, my only machine tool is a 4" grinder and a drill! hehe
Every time I take a carb to a real shop, I end up impressed, and feel it is worth the money.

gstark
09-25-2001, 11:48 AM
I wish I could say the same. First, let me say that I do not want to start another "H" issue. I am just relating my recent
experience.
I took my new Caliber1 to a shop to have the carb checked as it was really sooting up the transom. I asked them to check the float levels and power valve for starters. When the work was complete (a day early) I picked it up and went to the river.
When I stopped cruising, I could smell gasoline, so I popped the engine hatch and saw a small amount of gas weeping from the front bowl (502/Holley). Very minimal so I kept an eye on it. When I got home, I did a visual check and saw the that 1 of the 4 bolts which secure the bowl to the body appeared to be more flush to the bowl. As you know, there is a small gasket under the bolt head. Well, this bolt was missing the gasket.
Other than this "minor" problem, I was very happy with the service. But - I have decided to do all work for now on because no one will sweat the details like I will and if I screw up, then its my fault, not someone elses.
No one has more interest in one's boat than the owner of the boat.