PDA

View Full Version : I've never seen one of these before

superdave013
10-31-2002, 05:08 AM
Has anyone ran one of these things?
http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cff31f9fb97818d110edd94c648fa292/i-1_B.JPG

greg shoemaker
10-31-2002, 05:18 AM
Good for about 5500 hp. Used alot on the Sanger Flatbottoms. Parts have not been available for years. If you look at it carfully you will see it works kinda like a friction clutch. Greg

greg shoemaker
10-31-2002, 05:19 AM
Sorry about that 500 hp. Greg

superdave013
10-31-2002, 05:56 AM
Thanks greg, yeah, It looks just slightly out dated. It's on e bay right now. Wounder what that will go for?

Stab-n-Steer
10-31-2002, 06:58 AM
SD,
I saw one at a swap meet this summer and the guy wanted $400 bucks for it! They were manufactured by Al Gonsalez "Algon" in the seventies. He also made Algon Fuel Injection. Al was from my home town, Benicia, CA...
S&S

Riptide01
10-31-2002, 07:07 AM
Thats what my Dad ran on his Unblown fuel flat in the 7o's. I was going to ask him if he still had one kicking around.Was thinking of bidding. Would work great on the old Rayson craft.

Blown Olds
10-31-2002, 10:41 AM
WOW! GREG SHOEMAKER YOUR THE SHIT. eek! eek! eek!

Jordy
10-31-2002, 10:45 AM
greg shoemaker:
Sorry about that 500 hp. GregI liked the 5500hp better. Started to think we were on the Jet Forums with all the 100mph guys... :D :D :D
Jordy :D

Sangster
10-31-2002, 10:47 AM
greg shoemaker:
Good for about 5500 hp. Used alot on the Sanger Flatbottoms. Parts have not been available for years. If you look at it carfully you will see it works kinda like a friction clutch. GregI give up, What is it... :confused: :confused:

GofastRacer
10-31-2002, 11:04 AM
The first type prop realease, it's a one way clutch, it goes on the prop shaft!!.... :cool:
[ October 31, 2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Sangster
10-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Okie-Dokie..... :D :D

WILDERTHANU54
10-31-2002, 11:17 AM
I HAVE ONE IN MY GARAGE RIGHT NOW. "ALGON" PROP RELEASE. THEY ARE HEAVY MUTHERS! ! !
GEOFF

DansBlown73Nordic
10-31-2002, 02:26 PM
I liked the 5500 H.P. eek! eek! :D

Rexone
10-31-2002, 04:31 PM
I ran one of these for several years on a blown flat I had in the 70's 80's. It worked good and I was running about 900 hp on that deal. As I remember there were 2 models one heavier than the other (more hp). They pretty much became unpopular when andy came out with the whirlaways. I wouldn't hesitate to run one though, mine always worked well.

SK48
10-31-2002, 07:06 PM
I can't believe Super Dave never saw an Algon prop release. I thought he was kind of like the v-drive bible. Look in older Hondo's and Cole flat bottoms, I still see them all the time.
Dave the parts you are making for your 20' Schiada look great.

Riptide01
10-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Maybe Superdave is not as old as we think...
Or some of us are getting old.

superdave013
10-31-2002, 08:57 PM
SK48:
I can't believe Super Dave never saw an Algon prop release. I thought he was kind of like the v-drive bible. Look in older Hondo's and Cole flat bottoms, I still see them all the time.
Dave the parts you are making for your 20' Schiada look great.Now that's funny. Enough of this bible stuff. It pisses off the guys that REALLY are the bible. wink
Ok, age and my brief history. I'm ONLY! 39. Feel 29 but look 49. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I have been around boats my entier life but not around v-drives that long. You see, I grew up on a lake in N. Indiana. I lived there for 21 years and in that time I only saw 2 v-drives! A Hondo flat and a Sanger. And would you believe that those guys wouldn't let some young kid take their boats apart? I just wanted to see how they worked, really. Who knows, they might have had an Algon deal in them. I did build my first boat when I was 14 but it was outboard powered.
I moved west when I was 21 and it took about 1 year before I bought my first flat. That's when it all started for me with this v-drive thing. Now when I got into it, I got into it if you know what I'm sayin. I did learn alot racing my second flat but far from guru.
So there you have it. Guys like Riptide and Boatguy222 had dads that rigged Sangers and Schiada's. They and others are the ones that know the history. So far the bible for me has been Boatguy222's dad and Tom Bentley. Those two have forgotten more then I'll ever know. And I don't think they've forgotten much!
I'm amased at the welth of knowage that all of you guys have myself. I've learned alot from this forum and I do try to pass along info I've picked up along the way. But I'm far from a know it all even though I've been told I think I am a few times. So guys, keep that good info comming! But I'm still a little unclear on that whole push point thing! Anyone wanna splain dat one again? J/K :D
Oh, thanks for the kind words on those parts. Now I just gotta put the damm thing together!

GofastRacer
10-31-2002, 09:02 PM
superdave013:
SK48:
Dave the parts you are making for your 20' Schiada look great.Now that's funny. Enough of this bible stuff. It pisses off the guys that REALLY are the bible. wink
Ok, age and my brief history. I'm ONLY! 39. Feel 29 but look 49. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I have been around boats my entier life but not around v-drives that long. You see, I grew up on a lake in N. Indiana. I lived there for 21 years and in that time I only saw 2 v-drives! A Hondo flat and a Sanger. And would you believe that those guys wouldn't let some young kid take their boats apart? I just wanted to see how they worked, really. Who knows, they might have had an Algon deal in them. I did build my first boat when I was 14 but it was outboard powered.
I moved west when I was 21 and it took about 1 year before I bought my first flat. That's when it all started for me with this v-drive thing. Now when I got into it, I got into it if you know what I'm sayin. I did learn alot racing my second flat but far from guru.
So there you have it. Guys like Riptide and Boatguy222 had dads that rigged Sangers and Schiada's. They and others are the ones that know the history. So far the bible for me has been Boatguy222's dad and Tom Bentley. Those two have forgotten more then I'll ever know. And I don't think they've forgotten much!
I'm amased at the welth of knowage that all of you guys have myself. I've learned alot from this forum and I do try to pass along info I've picked up along the way. But I'm far from a know it all even though I've been told I think I am a few times. So guys, keep that good info comming! But I'm still a little unclear on that whole push point thing! Anyone wanna splain dat one again? J/K :D
Oh, thanks for the kind words on those parts. Now I just gotta put the damm thing together!OK, so now quit flappin your FKN gums and get to work on the boat!!!!!..... :D wink :D