PDA

View Full Version : Any central air\heater

marty722
12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Any heater people out there? I need my upstairs central heater worked on or the wife is going to make me sleep out side.... When the heater runs it makes a loud noise...so we can't use it as it wakes up all of the neighbors. I'm in the burbank area..... I just don't want to call joe blow and get ripped off.I used george braizal or how ever you spell it and got ripped off.... Any help or info would be great.... Thanks

Cas
12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
did you have your roof done recently? maybe a rodent problem?
what kind of noise?

JetBoatRich
12-17-2006, 05:32 PM
TPC maybe able to give you advice:supp:

98 Vector 21
12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
PM dkahnjob he owns a ac/heater business..............Woodland Hills I belive...

marty722
12-17-2006, 05:39 PM
is like a fan bearing or something like that. Its like a fan noise.....No rodant problem.....

Cas
12-17-2006, 05:45 PM
could be a bushing that went south but it can also be something as simple as dust build up. The dust build up can cause the fan to get out of balance which causes the fan to scrape the housing and make noise. Most of the time they're pretty easy to get to so you might want to check that out before calling just any furnace guy out.

slowinhavasu
12-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Call George, I'm sure you need a new unit......
When does the sound accure, while the fan runs or before ??? How old is it, where is it, does it do it all the time, does it do it in the A/C mode ?????????????

Cole Sanger
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
My old heat pump went to crap. I had joe blow come look at it numerous times. They said that when it went into defrost mode that it would be loud. The problem was that it did this at 2am in the morning, and not at 11am when they came to look at it. They didn't understand that you could hear it from about 2 blocks away. I had a friend come take a look at it and it turned out that it had some expensive valve that went bad. It was cheaper to replace it than to buy a new part and have it repaired. Good luck.

Dezertrider
12-17-2006, 07:31 PM
My old heat pump went to crap. I had joe blow come look at it numerous times. They said that when it went into defrost mode that it would be loud. The problem was that it did this at 2am in the morning, and not at 11am when they came to look at it. They didn't understand that you could hear it from about 2 blocks away. I had a friend come take a look at it and it turned out that it had some expensive valve that went bad. It was cheaper to replace it than to buy a new part and have it repaired. Good luck.
I'm wondering about your friend??? If it was the Valves in the compressor he is a good friend. If it was the heat pump Expansion valve for the out door coil then He would'nt be a good friend. They are only about 80$, and thats reasale

Dezertrider
12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Any heater people out there? I need my upstairs central heater worked on or the wife is going to make me sleep out side.... When the heater runs it makes a loud noise...so we can't use it as it wakes up all of the neighbors. I'm in the burbank area..... I just don't want to call joe blow and get ripped off.I used george braizal or how ever you spell it and got ripped off.... Any help or info would be great.... Thanks
If its just a loud noise from the fan it sounds like a very simple problem. If its not a problem with the cooling cycle or the gas heater not firing you may be able to fix it yourself!!! It could be as simple as a bad fan belt or loose blower wheel. Pull the panels off and take a look. I have had many customers get pissed when I spend 10 Min fixing a minor problem and charge em 200$

marty722
12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I was going to have this guy do it but he moved out of town. Here;s his quote
Combustion Motor Assy $288.59
Combination Fan/limit switch $212.53
total was 501.12
Does this mean anything to you guys???

slowinhavasu
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I was going to have this guy do it but he moved out of town. Here;s his quote
Combustion Motor Assy $288.59
Combination Fan/limit switch $212.53
total was 501.12
Does this mean anything to you guys???
Combustion Motor ass. seems close....Fan limit kinda high.....

Hal
12-17-2006, 10:08 PM
If labor was included on the combustion motor its about right. The limit switch takes about 10 mins to replace and retails around $30.00 so if he replaced at the same time as the motor it should cost you about $50.00 more.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-18-2006, 06:02 AM
If the combustion motor has a little plastic or wire screen over it, then, with the power off, try to pull the screen and see if it re-positions it so it doesnt rub against the motor's external cooling fan.
The early Carrier and Carrier genetics had their combustion fan motors so close to the furnace access cover/door, that when the door gets put back on, it in turn, pushes the fan screen too close to the motor, then eventually with vibration, the screen vibrates into the fan-motor-fan causing the noise.
Usually causes faulty operation too:
The limit switch won't make because the restricted fan is not spinning 100%.
I'd wager a 50% chance this is your problem. Used to see it all the time.
I used to make a fortune in the Burbank-Glendale-Studio City-Sherman Oaks area.
Hard to find an reliable A/C heating person because the cost of housing is very high and everyone wants you to work for free.