PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a weiand 8-71 on their boats?

BOOGEYMAN
12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a 502 that will be a 540 here shortly and was going to buy the weiand 8-71 kit from jegs or summit and noticed they make a marine application. The difference they say is that the marine blower has thick walled casting rotors that are made of a single solid piece of 4340 to prevent "rotor growth". Anyone have any experience with this or any input?
I was guessing the rotors may be different because of the heat on long pulls but wasnt sure wich kit to purchase, just wondering if it is really worth the extra money for the marine kit or if they are just trying to make it sound better than it really is?
here is a link to it. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WND%2D7189P&N=700+115&autoview=sku
Thanks for any input someone may have!
Travis.

Hallett
12-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I would go with a Blower shop Blower
much better blower.
http://www.theblowershop.com/

gn7
12-18-2006, 02:32 PM
remember one thing. weind is the company that invented the three bolt crank pulley adaptor and the 14-71 mounted BACKWARDS so that there is no distributer clearance proplems. Both of which are total crap. go with blower guys. blower shop littlefield, mooneyham. let weiand make valve covers

Sangster
12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Try..WWW.RBSSUPERCHARGERS.com

Schiada76
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Why yes, I'm running one.
The polishing is chitty, the casting on manifold and blower has lots o nice pits, and the three bolt pully deal SUCKS. A reputable shop will have closer tolerances too.
Other than that well it's just fine.

BOOGEYMAN
12-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the link sangster. I looked at their site and see an 8-71 bbc kit and then an 8-71 bbc cheny marine kit as well. Lokks like they teflon stip the rotors in the marine kit but not the other?? Anyone know why?
Travis.

BOOGEYMAN
12-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Why yes, I'm running one.
The polishing is chitty, the casting on manifold and blower has lots o nice pits, and the three bolt pully deal SUCKS. A reputable shop will have closer tolerances too.
Other than that well it's just fine.
Thanks for the info!! A few buddies run them on ther bbc street cars but I wasnt sure on boat engines. Do you run the street kit or the marine kit? What boost level with what set up? Thanks for the info again!
Travis.

Schiada76
12-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Street kit bought it a few years ago, it makes about 12#'s at 13% over.

sleek willy
12-20-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a 502 with a 871 weiand running around 5 pounds of boost. 140 hours with no problems on the blower, broken outdrives are a differant issue. My rotors do not have the teflon strips.

cyclone
12-20-2006, 10:07 PM
i ran a weiand 8-71 street blower on my 502. no problems with it at all except for the three bolt crank pulley shearing the bolts off. bought a new 6 bolt lower pulley from BDS and never had a problem after that. in low boost applications the weiand blower works fine. no need for the teflon strips.

BOOGEYMAN
12-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys!!!! I saw some pics and spec's of Schiada76's set up and it is killer with 6 years on the weiand street kit and no problems eithor. I think I will go this route and keep everyone posted, thanks again!
Travis.

Liberator TJ1984
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Travis,
I've been running one for about 6yrs. now..only failures I have seen are the rear bearings going out..I drilled the rear bearing cover plate and installed 2 grease zerks...to allow me to give them a dab of grease before I run ...still change out the bearings every 2 yrs. though just to be safe;)

BOOGEYMAN
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
thanks for the info, thats a slick set up you did with the zerks!!! Have any engine pics you care to share??
Travis

dumbandyoung
01-11-2007, 06:57 PM
mine is a car blower..i mean was. never had a problem. i did the same with the starter and i bought a polished car starter from jegs. no rust ever. keep it clean.

MikeF
01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
i ran a weiand 8-71 street blower on my 502. no problems with it at all except for the three bolt crank pulley shearing the bolts off. bought a new 6 bolt lower pulley from BDS and never had a problem after that. in low boost applications the weiand blower works fine. no need for the teflon strips.
Gotta watch out for those flying towels. :crossx:

cyclone
01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Gotta watch out for those flying towels. :crossx:
the towel only stopped the belt, not the blower. he didnt ask if the belts were any good. lol:D

BOOGEYMAN
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
If the belt stops how does the blower keep spinning........:) LOL.

MikeF
01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
If the belt stops how does the blower keep spinning........:) LOL.
Mike can tell you all about that.......he's had plenty of experience in that department.:devil:

cyclone
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
If the rotors aren't stripped with teflon and the clearances are loose, the blower will keep spinning slowly because the engine is still running, still trying to draw air into the cylinders. The motor will keep running without the belt but it'll run fat as hell and you'll be fowling plugs. its kinda fun to watch. I broke my belt on a friday at the river, had no spare and drove it the rest of the weekend. just had to change the plugs at the end of every day. lol

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2007, 12:39 AM
the towel only stopped the belt, not the blower. he didnt ask if the belts were any good. lol:D
Thats some funnt shiznit right there. I just imagined itLOL:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-12-2007, 12:39 AM
If the rotors aren't stripped with teflon and the clearances are loose, the blower will keep spinning slowly because the engine is still running, still trying to draw air into the cylinders. The motor will keep running without the belt but it'll run fat as hell and you'll be fowling plugs. its kinda fun to watch. I broke my belt on a friday at the river, had no spare and drove it the rest of the weekend. just had to change the plugs at the end of every day. lol
Mike you my friend are a true diehard;)

upalms
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I have set of 660's I'd like to sell, I know they work great on the street, but a lot of people don't know about them, I'm really trying to find the right market to sell them.thanks,
Todd

Havasu Carrera
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I have set of 660's I'd like to sell, I know they work great on the street, but a lot of people don't know about them, I'm really trying to find the right market to sell them.thanks,
Todd
I will vouch for that. I ran them for some time on a 468 bbc Just went blown after a while. Good luck on the sale I am keeping mine for a little while.