PDA

View Full Version : Question for the moto guys

HatenWinter
12-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Im looking for a Chevy 2500 crew cab 4x4 Duramax. Is there any way dirt bikes can fit in a short bed without having the tailgate down. Im assuming not but it's way easier to find what I'm looking for in the short bed version. Thanks for any input!

Jordy
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
You might be able to put one in with the tailgate up if you put it in diagonally. Going straight in, no way. I had to hunt high and low to find my long bed. By the time I put a tool box in it, it's back to a short bed. I've got a short bed company truck and with the fuel tank and tool box, I've got less than 3' of bed left. Just about worthless. :hammer2:

Hustler
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
You can fit one bike in there with tailgate up but not two. You need a bed extender.
Some thing like this
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/images/performance/westin/Westin-bedextender.jpg

HatenWinter
12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
That's pretty much what I thought. I can't use a bed extender because I'll be towing a trailer behind it. Thanks for the info!:) The search continues.....

dumbandyoung
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Im looking for a Chevy 2500 crew cab 4x4 Duramax. Is there any way dirt bikes can fit in a short bed without having the tailgate down. Im assuming not but it's way easier to find what I'm looking for in the short bed version. Thanks for any input!
I have a f250 short bed.. i fit 2 bikes with gate up.. heres how.. i put on all the way on the right... or left..as far as it can go. then i put the 2nd bike as close as i can to the 1st. then i swing the back tires all the way over to the other side.. and walla the gate closes

HatenWinter
12-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a f250 short bed.. i fit 2 bikes with gate up.. heres how.. i put on all the way on the right... or left..as far as it can go. then i put the 2nd bike as close as i can to the 1st. then i swing the back tires all the way over to the other side.. and walla the gate closes
So you're fitting two full sized dirt bikes in the short bed diagonally? Is it hard to do? Would you happen to have any pictures? I could get exactly what I want in a short bed no problem, the long bed will be tough to find.

dumbandyoung
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
i dont have any pics .. ive only done it once so far. it was an easy fit. i still had room for gearbags/icechests. i dont know if the chevy bed is the same though. why dont you just get the long bed? i kinda wish i would have...oh and the bikes were two 450s.. so i guess u could say fullsize

HatenWinter
12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm looking for a long bed but since I'm buying used and looking for a particlular color and lift, etc. they are pretty rare. I found probably 10 that I liked alot but they were the short bed versions. I just need to be patient I guess!

dumbandyoung
12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
yah theres more and more diesels going for sale.. alot of guys cant take the high payments and high gas.. just keep your eye out.. cars.com is good

Hustler
12-20-2006, 09:29 AM
If your towing a trailer you could either remove the tailgate or what I have done before was pull the tailgate up against the rear tires of the bike with a tie down from the pegs to the tailgate. That should give plenty of room for the trailer.

dumbandyoung
12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
or you could grab a day laborer at home depot and pay him 9 bucks to hold the tailgate up.

No Regrets
12-26-2006, 02:19 PM
YES, you can fit 2 full size moto's in the s/box w/ the gate up. Did it for two years before cuttin loose the smoker- Ancient Moto secret trick.......
You angle both wheels to press against each other in the front/cnter of the bed( left bike turned right, right bike turned left) they hold each other up-then swing the rear wheels out all the way to the inside of bed and the gate will close-
FYI- this trick will only work in a chevy/gmc s/box, I dont know why.

HatenWinter
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks again guys, decisions, decisions.........:)

dumbandyoung
12-26-2006, 06:16 PM
FYI- this trick will only work in a chevy/gmc s/box, I dont know why.
im calling B.S... i have a shortbed ford.. fits like a glove

HMF'er
12-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Having always owned a short bed for the 13+ years I had a dirt bike, it tends to be a tight fit when transporting 2 or 3 bikes, gear bags, gas cans, stands, toolbox, misc. I finally bought my first long bed so I can close the gate and still have extra room. In my opinion, you can never have enough room so I vote for a long bed.

Outnumbered
12-27-2006, 01:26 AM
I use this. Way easier than loading in a truck. Only good for one bike though.
http://www.addabike.com/

Outnumbered
12-27-2006, 01:28 AM
You could put a receiver on your trailer rear bumper. I think someone makes a 2 bike version too.

HatenWinter
12-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Due to the design of my trailer, adding of the hitch/bike rack probably won't work. I just need to be patient and hold out for the right longbed to come along. I don't want to jump the gun on the short bed and regret it within a year or 2.

dumbandyoung
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Due to the design of my trailer, adding of the hitch/bike rack probably won't work. I just need to be patient and hold out for the right longbed to come along. I don't want to jump the gun on the short bed and regret it within a year or 2.
i regret it.. buy the long bed!!

HatenWinter
12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between Ford and Chevy too. Leaning more toward the Duramax but there's alot more Fords out there that have what were looking for. I really need the split rear bench for the kids and the dog. Does the Lariat edition have a split bench like the chevys?

dumbandyoung
12-28-2006, 04:56 PM
yes it does. it also has the bench up front.. are you looking for stock... if not my friends dad has a f350 power stroke 4x4 long bed gray, with 6inch lift 20' rims, banks kit, lariat.. has leather, all power, moon roof.. rhino liner. auto swing out steps. billet grills. very clean tr
uck.. it don't know the miles its a 2005.. im guessing under 40k. i dont have pics of it but i guarantee you its clean. hell sell it to you at a good price. .. i was gonna buy it, im an idiot for not.

HatenWinter
12-28-2006, 06:14 PM
yes it does. it also has the bench up front.. are you looking for stock... if not my friends dad has a f350 power stroke 4x4 long bed gray, with 6inch lift 20' rims, banks kit, lariat.. has leather, all power, moon roof.. rhino liner. auto swing out steps. billet grills. very clean tr
uck.. it don't know the miles its a 2005.. im guessing under 40k. i dont have pics of it but i guarantee you its clean. hell sell it to you at a good price. .. i was gonna buy it, im an idiot for not.
Thats exactly what I'm looking for in the Ford, even the color. Not real hot on the 20" rims but I'm very interested still. I'll send you a pm.

dumbandyoung
12-28-2006, 06:40 PM
hey if u dont want the rims i will buy them
this is the only picture i have.. its not the best but ill see what i can do. its all the way to the right.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8745/img0001aq6.jpg

HatenWinter
12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the pic!:)

PGF500
12-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Put one of the front wheels in the left front corner and the other in the right front corner. With tie downs get them tight and as far forward with the bike running parallel with bed. Close the gate and your in!

TOBTEK
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
have you tried the ole tailgate cable trick? IF you loop the tailgate cables up over the round latches, the gate will be 75% up. doesn't close completly, But you can still load the bikes stright in and pack all your shitz......

HatenWinter
01-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I could probably handle that if a deal comes around on a short bed that I can't pass up. Thanks for the tip!:)