PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder Shopping.

dmontzsta
12-18-2006, 06:10 PM
So I am on the hunt for a new one. My high end video nerd friend :D tells me to spend $1k on a HD cam, but it is a little more than I care to spend on a camcorder, especially if it was dropped, lost or something like that, I would be pissed. I am thinking in the $400-$600 range. My other friend tells me to get a 3ccd, but those are pretty steep still. I figure 1ccd has been out for a while and working good for people. My general use is just filming the family at a disneyland trip, lake or river, etc...
What does everyone here have and use?

2Driver
12-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Best picture comes off of mini tape and not DVD believe it or not. Try a 1ccd using mini tape and you will be happy. Dont really need to spend more than $300IMO. Get the 12 hour battery from Sony. You can't believe the video I get of off-road races with a base model 1ccd to tape. 3ccd to tape would be ideal.

dmontzsta
12-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Everyone I know is unsure about the minidvd as well, tape seems to be the winner, I will try and find a 3ccr.

Jyruiz
12-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Go here,
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
scroll down and you will see the best camera in each price range. I would go with the Panny PV-GS300, it is a 3 CCD camcorder. Good luck.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Sony has a new line of high def cameras wife got me one for Christmas. (I think a Rhino too)
If you plan on using a remote cam check for a remote video hookup on the camera. Most don't offer that.
Remote cams are low cost and popular on boats, dunebuggies and as helmet cams.
In that case you want a flashcard camera because as you approach weightlessness while in motion, traversing dunes, or down hills ect the tape floats away from the recording head resulting in "dead air" or blank footage.
Just 2 cents worth from our experiences.

BoatPI
12-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Panasonic sells several 3CCD camcorders between 500-700. Or if you want a real camcorder consider a Panasonic AG DVC-30. I own three of them and they are the best camcorder for under 5K.

Garrddogg
12-19-2006, 06:25 AM
I have one of those jvc hard drive cameras and the extended battery and I can vid for 23 hours on a charge, It has a 20 gig hd (they have 30 gig now) it takes stills not great but decent when you forget your digi cam.
Wev'e been VERY happy with ours and it has brought us countless hours of fun!!:D
Heres the one we bought.
http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/Images/pop_mg21.jpg
and a link for more info..
http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/lineup.html

Boa1277
12-19-2006, 07:07 AM
I used a Sony hard drive camcorder to record all of my sons football games this year and they do work well, great recording quatlity also, my problem with this camera is they do not work well with any type of vibration, any time the fans would stomp on the benches in the stadium I would have to lift the tripod up, otherwise camera would go into a safe mode and quit recording.. Hope that helps.

dmontzsta
12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Do any of you put your recordings on DVD and play it on your TV? if so, how does it look?

Jyruiz
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Do any of you put your recordings on DVD and play it on your TV? if so, how does it look?
They looked better played of the original source/camcorder. The reason for this is that most DVD players look for flags in the DVD's to tell it if it is film or video. Most DVD players are not that great at playing video and the picture will look soft. Now, none of this matters if you are going to play the DVD's on a regular TV and not an HDTV.

2Driver
12-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I edit all my footage on my PC and cut it to DVD. Looks great. Camcorder plugs right into the PC via fire wire. Cool thing is you can edit out all the BS and rearrange footage as well as make video chapter titles to jump right to. Lots of fun and easy.
I went back and moved all old VHS and home 8mm film from the 60 and 70 to DVD as well. Lots of memories stored forever now.

dmontzsta
12-19-2006, 06:58 PM
So I pulled the trigger. :D
Panasonic 3 CCD PV-GS300 it was $539 + I had to get the $119 warranty and the $79 starter kit (battery, bag, mini dv) came up to like $800 a little more than I wanted to spend, but I hear this camcorder is one of the best entry levels on the market. We will see how it works, thanks for the advice guys.