PDA

View Full Version : ok this is serious....need advise

a catered life
12-20-2006, 07:25 AM
i just finished my bachalors degree in management and was thinking about going for my masters....how many of you reap the real payoff from your masters or do you feel your bachalors was enough:idea:

NOTALENT
12-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Shit...I need to go back and get my AA....I just need 15units!!!:mad: :D

Jordy
12-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Shit...I need to go back and get my AA....
Actually I think they said you need to go to AA and you just misunderstood. :D :D :D

NOTALENT
12-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Actually I think they said you need to go to AA and you just misunderstood. :D :D :D
Fock....well that explains the secuirty guards walking me out of all my classes....:D

Jbb
12-20-2006, 07:30 AM
In the word's of the immortal Emil Faber..."Knowledge is good"...
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7396/deadstars/belushi.jpg

Jordy
12-20-2006, 07:31 AM
OK, now back to the topic at hand... I'd say if you have a target career in mind and you'll have an edge over the other people in the field with a masters, go for it. Anymore, a BA is almost like having a high school degree. I've got my diploma sitting right next to me on my desk. It's just something else to dust around here. :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Is it gonna get you a better paid postion
, then again it never hurts to have that it just gets expensive from here on out

voodoomedman
12-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Depends on what you want to do. The saying about it being like a college diploma I think was made up by teachers and school officials who want to encourage you to at least get some sort of degree. How many people actually have an AA let alone a BS or BA? Not alot.
Anyways in my case, in my company I think a Masters would only help if I wanted to be vice president or something very high up like that. I don't so it's not worth the time and money. So yes sometimes it is needed but it is usually more helpful if you just want something that gives you that extra edge. But at what cost do you get that. Other than that some people just love to go to school all their lives.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-20-2006, 07:41 AM
If your employer will pay for the Masters degree education you absolutely should get it since it is free, or basically free. Now if I would only took my own advice.....

Jbb
12-20-2006, 07:42 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/John-Belushi---College-Poster-C12044867.jpeg

Jbb
12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/john_belushi.jpg

Jordy
12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

Jbb
12-20-2006, 07:47 AM
It was the Delta's against the rules.......The rules lost...
http://www.acmewebpages.com/animal/locales.htm
:D
Ever wonder just how great Belushi would have been?

BADBLOWN572
12-20-2006, 07:51 AM
OK, now back to the topic at hand... I'd say if you have a target career in mind and you'll have an edge over the other people in the field with a masters, go for it. Anymore, a BA is almost like having a high school degree. I've got my diploma sitting right next to me on my desk. It's just something else to dust around here. :D :D :D
I disagree with this statement, to some extent. Yes, in todays professional world, it is common to have a bachelors degree. But, I would still say that a very low amount of the population has a bachelors degree. A bachelor's degree will get you into places that a high school diploma will not. It will get you into the door, but not necessarily keep you there.
To me, an AA degree is worthless. It shows you can get almost there, but not quite there. some employers look at an AA degree as a negative versus a positive. It shows you don't have the dedication to get the bachelor's degree.
I have thought about going back to school to get my masters degree. It is something that will not benefit me what so ever in my current position. Actually, a high school diploma would be sufficient probided that you have common sense and a good work ethic. The only reason why I would go back to get my masters is 1) a safety net and 2) to teach. If you have a masters, you can get a job that requires a bachelors degree and will give you the edge against your competitors. Additionally, I have considered teaching some upper division management classes at a college or university in the future. Will it happen, who knows, but a masters is required. (Phd to be tenured)
It really depends on what your plans are for the future. Right now I don't want to go back to school to get it so I haven't done it. I don't know if it will ever happen, but it might. If I had motivation to go get it, I would, but since it will not benefit me right now, no immediate plans.
Good luck! :)

a catered life
12-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Is it gonna get you a better paid postion
, then again it never hurts to have that it just gets expensive from here on out
it wont get me a higher salary here because i have no thirst to move up the ladder with public education (i know you understand me) my dream in the future is to open a small restuarant that mainly does catering but until that dream and the money shows up i need a good paycheck.....i'm not one of those guys that wants job where it will take me away from my family but you know we all need money..........i am so freaking lost:confused:

Jordy
12-20-2006, 07:57 AM
If you have a masters, you can get a job that requires a bachelors degree and will give you the edge against your competitors.
Hello, is this thing on??? Pretty much what I said, just a little more wordy there, Slappy McRepeat. :D :D :D

SummerBreeze
12-20-2006, 08:06 AM
i just finished my bachalors degree in management and was thinking about going for my masters....how many of you reap the real payoff from your masters or do you feel your bachalors was enough:idea:
If you plan on working for a pay check for some else the Masters might get you up the food chain.
There are some high income people that have no masters

Itsahobby
12-20-2006, 08:11 AM
People have told me that you start off with a higher salary with a masters than a BA. I have never seen real proof, though.
Jerry

That Guy
12-20-2006, 08:13 AM
If the cost isn't a factor, more education is always better. I was fairly along in my career so not sure how much the Masters helped (go Bruins) but it sure didn't hurt. Plus it exposes you to other students who will inevitably end up in some great companies and this has proven to be a valuable link for future business.
If you aren't a 22 year old kid and competing to get into a top tier consulting firm, exec. program, etc., I wouldn't worry as much about the school but rather that it meets your needs as to location, reputation, etc. Good luck!

Tremor Therapy
12-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Getting your Master's should depend on what your ultimate goal is. I got my B.S. Degree 21 years ago and have been trying to get back to school for my Master's the past 8 years (and doing a piss poor job at that!).
In private industry your Master's will get you looked at prior to a BA or BS, but without any practical experience it won't help you over someone with a B.A. degree and 5 years of good work experience.
If you have the time to do it now, do it! Once you get working, married, mortgage, car payments, family, little league, soccer, etc, it gets very hard to carve out the 2 years of time to get it done!
If I had to do it all over I would have spent those next 2 years in school and got it done.
IMHO of course!

a catered life
12-20-2006, 08:16 AM
i have heard the same thing.......i guess one of the major things i need to look at is will the higher education pay for it self (student loans):eek:
hey long time no here from itsahobby...hows the family....hows that table holding up....can you believe my kids ask me about that table last week:eek: ..i was like what table:confused:

Trailer Park Casanova
12-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Education is always good.
Masters is a step ahead of the pack.

Wheeler
12-20-2006, 08:24 AM
If you plan on working for a pay check for some else the Masters might get you up the food chain.
There are some high income people that have no masters
The worlds richest man, dropped out in his junior year.

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Some people fair very well in life without an advanced education, or even a college education at all. I do agree that it's what you are pursuing that will help you to decide. But I also feel you really can't put a price on your education. It's invaluable, IMO. I totally utilize my Bachelor's at my job but I still wish that I had gone further, all the way actually. In today's world, it does make you more elite the more educated you are. Also, having that advanced education is more than a degree, it shows a certain level of dedication, discipline and commitment that is obviously very desireable. It most definitely is an edge.
I would definitely do it if you have the time, resources and it won't be something you have to sacrifice other very important things for (ie:family). It's something that you will always have that can never be taken away from you. As you get further away from your school days, it's that much harder to go back and you may wish that you did later on.
Good luck to you and congrats on your Bachelors!;)

ECeptor
12-20-2006, 08:32 AM
it wont get me a higher salary here because i have no thirst to move up the ladder with public education (i know you understand me) my dream in the future is to open a small restuarant that mainly does catering but until that dream and the money shows up i need a good paycheck.....i'm not one of those guys that wants job where it will take me away from my family but you know we all need money..........i am so freaking lost:confused:
In KS a masters will automatically increase a teachers salary vs a bachelors. If it's paid for by work, it's only a question of how you want to spend your personal time to get it. If you have to pay for it, look at the payback on your investment.
Your wildcard is your desire to have your own business. If you are really serious about doing that in the near future (5-10yrs), I'd think your time is best spent getting that going (business plans, investors, etc).
I have my masters in Engineering and it's always helped me both in terms of what I learned plus that little edge for promotions and new jobs.
With all that said, I'll tell you what I just told my nephew - if you are going to spend the time to go to college become a dentist...great pay and relatively easy to set up your own office. Plus the cute hygenists don't hurt!

Jbb
12-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I still wish that I had gone further, all the way actually.
:jawdrop:

Big Warlock
12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
:D OK, now back to the topic at hand... I'd say if you have a target career in mind and you'll have an edge over the other people in the field with a masters, go for it. Anymore, a BA is almost like having a high school degree. I've got my diploma sitting right next to me on my desk. It's just something else to dust around here. :D :D :D
After this year, you're working on a PHD with my shiat!! :D

Jordy
12-20-2006, 08:40 AM
:D
After this year, you're working on a PHD with my shiat!! :D
Yeah, but that's unofficial and doesn't pay well. However, the travel package is stellar!!! :D :D :D

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 08:41 AM
You peeps just can't let one go can you?:D

Jordy
12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
You peeps just can't let one go can you?:D
Not when it's slow over the center of the plate like that one was!!! :D :D :D

HM
12-20-2006, 08:57 AM
It depends on your goals, like many people said. If your ultimate goal is to be a professor at a college, then you will want to do a Credentialed Masters. If not, then you would be better served by an Executive type of Masters program.
I am working on my MBA and am enrolled in Pepperdine's Executive MBA. You can complete it as quickly as 2 years and is designed for the working stiff (it is not cheap) - University of Phoenix has nearly the same program that is probably better than Pepperdine's, but Pepperdine has the name recognition. I am of the belief that I will always be enrolled in some kind of ongoing education - most of which is geared towards what I do. For me, it is about keeping my mind sharp. It is also a way I network with people. I meet a lot of people who are trying to better themselves and have made some great business alliances with people who are going in the same direction.
But, getting a masters will not do anything for you on its own. Many people are going out and getting masters and expecting the degree to do something magical. It is what you get out of the program and how you put that information to work.

Big Warlock
12-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, but that's unofficial and doesn't pay well. However, the travel package is stellar!!! :D :D :D
Whenever I want to see shiat happen, I just invite you! Nice party action! We'll see how the drama falls out from your activities there! hahahaha
I'll try to get your room cleaned up! No more women though. The married ones like you and that's creates problems for me. :D Let's try to meet single women ok? Good deal! See you in Mexico Amigo!
Oh, stay out of the shop too, thanks! :eek:

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Whenever I want to see shiat happen, I just invite you! Nice party action! We'll see how the drama falls out from your activities there! hahahaha
I'll try to get your room cleaned up! No more women though. The married ones like you and that's creates problems for me. :D Let's try to meet single women ok? Good deal! See you in Mexico Amigo!
Oh, stay out of the shop too, thanks! :eek:
Hey, I've got a new idea for the sign on your parking spot: "Want to see shit happen, invite Jordy, or park here!!!" :D :D :D
As far as the women thing, I can't help it if they find me irresistable. Saturday night I was just standing there with 14 other people minding my own business. Think of the trouble that could have been started if I actually was up to something. :D :D :D
P.S. Your shop is no fun because the boat isn't there and going over to Hale's isn't any fun because you only hear about it after the fact. Getting you in a dead run out the office door into the shop was the whole fun of it. :D

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 09:13 AM
In most cases all the degree does is show you are willing to stick with something. If you go into the corporate world or public arena then it pays off. Teachers for an example make more money with the Masters and opens doors into other areas.
Remember, the back bone of American business is small business. I have taken what I learned on the job along with selected classes that I needed to give me a well rounded idea of how to run a business. It has worked well for me personally.
Too many people waste time in school and think that the piece of paper in itself provides them with some kind of guarantee or something. It doesn't.....

Itsahobby
12-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Everything is good here. Table is getting more use and my 10 year old is able to score on me, now :D
i have heard the same thing.......i guess one of the major things i need to look at is will the higher education pay for it self (student loans):eek:
hey long time no here from itsahobby...hows the family....hows that table holding up....can you believe my kids ask me about that table last week:eek: ..i was like what table:confused:

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Too many people waste time in school and think that the piece of paper in itself provides them with some kind of guarantee or something. It doesn't.....
Bingo. Lot's of people with huge high dollar educations that make you wonder how they actually get out of bed and tie their shoes every morning. ;)

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Bingo. Lot's of people with huge high dollar educations that make you wonder how they actually get out of bed and tie their shoes every morning. ;)
Since we agree on something I thought I should wish you a Merry Christmas also. It is of course the season for miracles....and shit....lol

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Since we agree on something I thought I should wish you a Merry Christmas also. It is of course the season for miracles....and shit....lol
Right back at ya Old Man!!! ;)

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Disagree. I don't think it could ever be considered a "waste" and to say it's a "piece of paper", well, it's a lot more than that. It's not a guarantee, but if someone makes the effort to do something with their degree, then the degree helps grant them that access.

Chipster27
12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
As someone else stated. Get your career started. Build your "employee equity" with a company that will pay for your continuing education. Then use their dime to pay for your Masters. Make sure you like the company and career as they will probably have you commit to working XX years if they are paying for your education.

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Disagree. I don't think it could ever be considered a "waste" and to say it's a "piece of paper", well, it's a lot more than that. It's not a guarantee, but if someone makes the effort to do something with their degree, then the degree helps grant them that access.
We can agree to disagree then. Yes, some people do waste their time in school and do nothing with their paper. Of course if they go for self-growth that would not be considered a waste...to them.
It CAN be considered a waste of time and money.....Yes, it is true!
Education is an investment...some make good investments and some don't.
It all comes down to personal circumstances......

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
We can agree to disagree then. ...
Now you have to get all diplomatic..:D What if I didn't want to? What if I felt like some :argue: :boxingguy

BADBLOWN572
12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't think it could ever be considered a "waste" and to say it's a "piece of paper", well, it's a lot more than that.
I do think that it is simply a piece of paper. It is a piece of paper that shows 3 things. 1) That you can stick to something. 2) That you can deal with pressure to get things done. 3) That you can put up with B.S.
I learned more in 6 months working than I did in 4 years in college. 90% of it is complete and total B.S. that you forget the minute that the final is over.

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Now you have to get all diplomatic..:D What if I didn't want to? What if I felt like some :argue: :boxingguy
I don't argue with pretty women :)
Now that I think about it.....not even ugly ones :)

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 09:39 AM
I do think that it is simply a piece of paper. It is a piece of paper that shows 3 things. 1) That you can stick to something. 2) That you can deal with pressure to get things done. 3) That you can put up with B.S...
Then that shows to be more than a piece of paper.:idea: ;)

OliverM5
12-20-2006, 09:39 AM
I have my undergrad in Economics from UCLA and my MBA from Anderson School of Management. Here's my take (based on my experience): if you want to be an entreprenuer and do your own thing, skip the Masters and dive into whatever it is you want to do. If you are currently working for a company and feel that it would advance your career in that company, or are looking to work for someone else in a very "corporate" environment, I would give it stronger consideration.
Personally, I wish I would have skipped it and gotten into my current business (finance and real estate) 3 years earlier - not to mention the $60,000 I owe in student loans now :mad: But remember, you can always fall back on the education if needed.....good luck.

Jbb
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM
What if I didn't want to?

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
What's with you? :D :D

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 09:44 AM
What's with you? :D :D
He just got excited is all....lol

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:44 AM
What if I felt like some...
:eek:

rivercrazy
12-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Bottom line is any college degree will significantly increase your chances at landing and keeping a quality job. And your lifetime earning power is proven to be higher with a degree.
IMO a masters degree is a huge plus. But mostly if your just starting out in your career or you need it to fuel a promotion to a higher level job.
Part of the problem the US is having is a lack of skilled and educated labor. Other countries have throttled right by us. Go for the advanced degree! :D

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
:eek:
I still wish that I had gone further, all the way actually.... it's that much harder
.. What if I didn't want to? What if I felt like some
Here you go, just helping you guys out while swimming along in the gutter.:D

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Here you go, just helping you guys out while swimming along in the gutter.:D
I think we've got you covered... ;)

Jbb
12-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Here you go, just helping you guys out
Jordy is such a troublemaker...:rolleyes:

Jordy
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Jordy is such a troublemaker...:rolleyes:
JBB, stop hating!!! :mad: :eek: :idea: :D

Jbb
12-20-2006, 09:58 AM
JBB, stop hating!!! :mad: :eek: :idea: :D
RD SUX!...........:D

Devil's Advocate
12-20-2006, 10:01 AM
This thread is useless without pics.:rolleyes:

DILLIGAF
12-20-2006, 10:03 AM
This thread is useless without pics.:rolleyes:
You post the pics...I don't need to see any of JBB or Jordy....

eliminatedsprinter
12-20-2006, 10:35 AM
My post graduate education was directly required to get my job. I was fortunate that the best program in the nation was at a State University nearby, so I was able to do it without going into debt with student loans.
Is a masters required to do what you want or will it be a needed asset in gaining promotion?? If so and you have the time and money I'd say do it.
However, if it means going into debt for little professional gain, I'd pass (and go to Trade Tec and become a boat mechanic ;) ).

a catered life
12-21-2006, 07:54 AM
My degree almost kept me from my job.
If the paper won't help you in your goal, then find the direct way to get to your goal. If owning/operating a restaurant is the goal, an MBA won't help much, but an entreprenurial (sp?) seminar might. If you wanted to manage a chain of restaurants then the MBA is the way to go.
One thing I've noticed is that some people have a finite capacity for learning. We have a professor that got a DMA, a couple or years of hard work (and a raise). But she forgot some basic stuff like how a cassette player works.
I'm all for learning just for knowledges sake. Sometimes I think school gets in the way of learning though.
well said
i have a meeting with my counsler today to discuss my future at school....i leaning more towards not going back
and thanks to all of you that had positive feedback regarding this topic
dilliaf and jordy:confused: i dont know what the hell you two were talking about but thanks

Kachina26
12-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the misspelling of the type of college degree Willie earned.
Sorry Willie, I had to. :devil:

a catered life
12-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the misspelling of the type of college degree Willie earned.
Sorry Willie, I had to. :devil:
lmao no problem that just shows you just because i have a degree dont mean shit still can't read or type worth a crap

DILLIGAF
12-21-2006, 08:40 AM
dilliaf and jordy:confused: i dont know what the hell you two were talking about but thanks
Basically.....Just that some people waste time in school with no direction or goals. Degrees work if you are in that environment that dictates education for advancement. The opening of a door for a promotion, that kind of thing. Bottom line is you have to produce regardless when you get in that position.
I made my way in life thru hard work and perseverance....took classes in subjects that I needed to learn more about. Marketing, advertising, management, etc. I took what I learned, adapted different aspects of it and made it my own. Hard work and common sense can take you a long way. Keep in mind I used to be at a major company and chased the carrot for a while and then realized I needed to be the one in control of the carrot. There was a ceiling I would hit in that company because of a lack of a degree but it wasn't for me anyhow. It worked well for me but in today's business environment it seems the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Big business is much too into "everybody is just a number" for my liking. Big business lose their top employees all the time as most business's try to muffle the independent thinking employees. Not all but many.
If you need the degree to open up the doors to future advancements you want then go for it. If not it is all about self-awareness, self-improvement which in itself is not a bad thing at all if that is what you want.
Being older helps you understand the value of the degree. Younger students don't always realize what they are trying to accomplish and it has always been that way. For many college is a time and place to figure out where they are going and what they want out of life. Is that where you are today? I don't think so but I could be wrong....
Regardless.....good luck on whatever you decide.
Am I rambling here? lol

DILLIGAF
12-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Willie...one more important thang'
F THE LAKERS!
:)

wright27
12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
I say this in the most kind way not wanting to make anyone mad. I do not get the college deal. Is it about saying you have the education or opening doors to make more money.
How much will it cost you to get your masters, and how much will it cost to open your restuarant. You do not need a masters to own a restuarant.
Not to boast, but I did not go to college. I own my own business and am doing very very well. My success came from taking risks not getting a college education.
If a restuarant is your dream, that is what you should focus on. Just my opinion.

catman-do
12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I say look at what you want to ultimately achieve. With a business degree you have a wide range of options available. If you want to be a CEO of a large firm and make millions a year, i would definately go for a post grad, or even doctorate. However if you just want to be in sales or some lower mgmt position dont worry about it. Ive got my bachelors in marketing and a minor in corp finance, started a masters in finance mgmt but never finished once i started my career. If you are going to do it, get it over with before you jump into the real world, because its a pain in the ass after that.

DILLIGAF
12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I say this in the most kind way not wanting to make anyone mad. I do not get the college deal. Is it about saying you have the education or opening doors to make more money.
How much will it cost you to get your masters, and how much will it cost to open your restuarant. You do not need a masters to own a restuarant.
Not to boast, but I did not go to college. I own my own business and am doing very very well. My success came from taking risks not getting a college education.
If a restuarant is your dream, that is what you should focus on. Just my opinion.
Sounds like good advice to me. Good job

Magic34
12-21-2006, 09:31 AM
I disagree with this statement, to some extent. Yes, in todays professional world, it is common to have a bachelors degree. But, I would still say that a very low amount of the population has a bachelors degree. A bachelor's degree will get you into places that a high school diploma will not. It will get you into the door, but not necessarily keep you there.
To me, an AA degree is worthless. It shows you can get almost there, but not quite there. some employers look at an AA degree as a negative versus a positive. It shows you don't have the dedication to get the bachelor's degree.
I have thought about going back to school to get my masters degree. It is something that will not benefit me what so ever in my current position. Actually, a high school diploma would be sufficient probided that you have common sense and a good work ethic. The only reason why I would go back to get my masters is 1) a safety net and 2) to teach. If you have a masters, you can get a job that requires a bachelors degree and will give you the edge against your competitors. Additionally, I have considered teaching some upper division management classes at a college or university in the future. Will it happen, who knows, but a masters is required. (Phd to be tenured)
It really depends on what your plans are for the future. Right now I don't want to go back to school to get it so I haven't done it. I don't know if it will ever happen, but it might. If I had motivation to go get it, I would, but since it will not benefit me right now, no immediate plans.
Good luck! :)
Agreed.

a catered life
12-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Willie...one more important thang'
F THE CLIPPERS!
:)
someone gotta love this guy:D

DILLIGAF
12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
someone gotta love this guy:D
Merry Xmas to you and your family Willie

a catered life
12-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Merry Xmas to you and your family Willie
lmao you too bro have a safe and happy holiday and remember go lakers:D and raiders:confused:

DILLIGAF
12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
go lakers:D and raiders:confused:
Lets not get crazy....and shit :)

a catered life
12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Lets not get crazy....and shit :)
rotflmao;)