PDA

View Full Version : cola crankshaft

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
How good are cola crankshafts? Would it be ok to run one that has standard journals and .010 mains? It is 4340 with a 4.25 stroke...

WannabeRacing
12-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Cola crankshafts are my favorite forged crankshafts in the world. I like them better than Callies, Lunati, etc. Personal preference, but I love the longevity!
The billets are better, Bryant, Winberg, Velasco, etc. But they are expensive, and not worth the money spent on a 'typical' boat motor. Run the same Cola crank in my funny car for five or six years.
They make lots of different options. 2 lightening hole, 4 lightening hole, lightweight, ultralight, etc. But they are very strong pieces from good american forgings.
Just mag and x-ray the thing. If it looks good, no worries about the 10 under stuff. You don't buy the bearings together. Just order 10 mains and standard rods. Very common there.

GofastRacer
12-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Nothing wrong with a Cola crank and .010 under mains, but I'd find out why it has .010 under mains and what it was run in, do your homework you get what you pay for!..

Fiat48
12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Probably spun a main bearing so the mains were turned. Common to see undersized mains in BBC cause that is how BBC's fail. Like the guys said..mag it. If it cleaned at .010 and no heat cracking then the guy caught it early enough to save the crank.
More stroke is harder on main bearings. Mo lever.
Insist on a mag job. You'd be suprised at how many cracked cranks are turned and then sold at swap meets.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I will ask him to mag and x-ray it. Thanks for the help fellas;)
Good to see ya back bob:)

Fiat48
12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
One more thing. Cola crossdrilled some cranks and later (like others) they quit doing that. So....if the crank is not corssdrilled be sure to run a 3/4 groove main bearing set.