PDA

View Full Version : Grandma Puts Baby Into X-Ray Machine At LAX

RitcheyRch
12-20-2006, 07:21 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_354110907.html
A woman going through security at LAX over the weekend put her 8-month-old grandson into a plastic bin intended for carry-on items and slid it into an X-ray machine, prompting astonished officials to order that the child be medically evaluated .
The infant was taken to Centinela Hospital, where doctors determined he had not received a dangerous dose of radiation, the Los Angeles Times reported.
In the several seconds the baby spent in the machine, he was exposed to as much radiation as he would get in a day from cosmic rays, or high energy from outer space, Dr. James Borgstede, a Colorado diagnostic radiologist and
president of the American College of Radiology, told The Times.
The incident, which occured Saturday, caught airport workers by surprise, even though the security line was not busy at the time, officials told The Times.
A screener watching the machine's monitor immediately noticed the outline of a baby and pulled the bin backward on the conveyor belt, The Times reported.
Officials, who declined to release the 56-year-old woman's name, told The Times she spoke only Spanish.
She initially didn't want the baby transported to a hospital, but security officials called paramedics and insisted the child be examined by a doctor, according to The Times. The woman and child were later allowed to board an Alaska Airlines flight to Mexico City.
Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez said his agency, which manages LAX screeners, does not want such an incident to recur.
"We're trying to figure out what changes we can make, short of putting up signs saying, 'Don't put your baby through the X-ray machine,' " he told The Times.

73kona455
12-20-2006, 07:29 PM
un freakin real.. how stupid can a person be?

Havasu1986
12-20-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking no speak or read English.

Throttle
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
sounds like the woman needed her head examined

Makinitdrip
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
stand by.... you know she is going to sue because there was nobody there to stop her. Next there will be signs all over the freakin place saying, " dont put babys in x-ray machine. oH ya did I mention she is now another illegal milloinaire!!!! ok ill get off the soap box now

squirt'nmyload
12-20-2006, 07:45 PM
:jawdrop:

Biglue
12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
There's a perfect beginning to a mother in law from hell relationship huh? :D

RitcheyRch
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
She should have gone through the x-ray machine instead....LMAO :D
sounds like the woman needed her head examined

a catered life
12-21-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm thinking no speak or read English.
you got it but is that a real excuse:confused:

Sleek-Jet
12-21-2006, 07:42 AM
A baby is a carry-on item... though they really tend to make noise when you put them in the overhead compartment... :D

buzzaro
12-21-2006, 07:55 AM
I know this isnt the real issue but..........did she walk or drive here with a baby and then fly home? Has she never been in an airport before, perhaps the airport that got her here with spanish signs? Did she think the baby might be a bomb or other weapon? Were any other babys being put through the x-ray machine in line ahead of her? Why didnt she check the baby at the counter? Will the baby fit in the carryon item bin? and if not will it then have to be checked? I know there is a rebuttle to every question I posed here, but my god there are many more questions that can be asked about why she should think she shouldnt put the baby in there and she didnt ask herself any of them??