PDA

View Full Version : Marriage question.

Daytona100
12-20-2006, 08:15 PM
If you got married in negril jamaica is this recognized when you return to the US? If you never filed any paperwork when you returned to the usa do.s jamaica send the marriage certificate or are you supposed to file something when you get back? Any input appreciated.

Bre
12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Ohhh no :( Not another failed marriage :(

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:23 PM
NOPE, worthless but there is always that crack pot judge that will side with her

Daytona100
12-20-2006, 08:29 PM
NOPE, worthless but there is always that crack pot judge that will side with her
Hey Killer are you sure? So theres no way it followed me to the states.

Mrs.Killer
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey girlie, how are u?;)

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Killer are you sure? So theres no way it followed me to the states.
I recall my sister getting married in jamaica and she had to do it here in the court house to make it legal

photo chick
12-20-2006, 08:34 PM
If you got married in negril jamaica is this recognized when you return to the US? If you never filed any paperwork when you returned to the usa do.s jamaica send the marriage certificate or are you supposed to file something when you get back? Any input appreciated.
Nope! You're safe totally not legal nor recognized in the states!

Daytona100
12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow that changes things. Well we thought we were married for the last 7 years. LOL We actually get along great but now we live in two different states. California and Reno I fly up there once a month to visit. It was a kid issue and employment problem here but we get along. I may relocate to reno after I get my daughter through high school. She,s a junior now so if things work out it wont be long.

Bre
12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey girlie, how are u?;)
Doing good. Getting nervous lol :D

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Doing good. Getting nervous lol :D
Why , are you talking about day ZERO, no biggie, ill go down there for ya

Bre
12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Why , are you talking about day ZERO, no biggie, ill go down there for ya
LOL... just gonna be a little different than I am used to:D Sure I'll be over it after a week :D

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
LOL... just gonna be a little different than I am used to:D Sure I'll be over it after a week :D
what day is it, il wake up early and go down there film it and take pics for you

Daytona100
12-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Gotta roll with the punches. Not sure how this is gonna play out but this puts a huge twist to the scenario.

uvindex
12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
According to the US Department of State: "In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live." (see http://travel.state.gov/family/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html)
Also, don't forget that if you lived together as husband and wife then the courts typically consider you married, whether you have a "legal" marriage license or not.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer (and ***boat is not exactly the first place I'd go when seeking legal advice. :))
Good luck!

Bre
12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
what day is it, il wake up early and go down there film it and take pics for you
I am working at the Montery Park Station Starting Jan 8th
Then down in Whitter starting Jan 17th, but the real stuff starts the following Monday.

KLEPTOW
12-21-2006, 02:53 AM
I was told by a Shark many years ago that if the marriage is legal in the jusidiction preformed in, and the marriage certificate is filed in the jurisdiction you live in, Your done.

Daytona100
12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
I was told by a Shark many years ago that if the marriage is legal in the jusidiction preformed in, and the marriage certificate is filed in the jurisdiction you live in, Your done.
We never filed any paperwork when we returned to the states.

a catered life
12-21-2006, 07:30 AM
were boaters you better ask a lawyer

Daytona100
12-21-2006, 07:33 AM
were boaters you better ask a lawyer
Going next week just wanted some input.

a catered life
12-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Going next week just wanted some input.
better to be safe :) than sorry:(

Havasu1986
12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I got married in 5 years ago in Jamaica. We never filed in the U.S. I'm sure were legal. At least the IRS says so.

ratso
12-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I married #4 in Mexico... According to the divorce attorneys and judge, we were also married here. My question is, am I still married in Mexico?:D

C-2
12-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Somebody else asked this a while back, some research was done and I think the answer, conclusively, was yes, it's legal and binding. Cali doesn't have common law, so any answers along that train of thought are not applicable.
I'll see if I can dig it up......

Daytona100
12-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Somebody else asked this a while back, some research was done and I think the answer, conclusively, was yes, it's legal and binding. Cali doesn't have common law, so any answers along that train of thought are not applicable.
I'll see if I can dig it up......
Thank you. Should be interesting.

C-2
12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I posed this question to a group of investigators, all of whom work in dissolution actions, and 100% of their responses were: if you married lgeally in another country - then irrespective of location, the US and many other countries recognize the marrigae as legal and binding. So if you filled out paperwork in the foreign country - you are married.
Dunno if that's good or bad...but good luck on everthing.
The person earlier this year asked about the Bahama's, and somebody sent me this answer about a Bahama's marriage:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=497716

Daytona100
12-21-2006, 10:37 AM
I posed this question to a group of investigators, all of whom work in dissolution actions, and 100% of their responses were: if you married legally in another country - then irrespective of location, the US and many other countries recognize the marrigae as legal and binding. So if you filled out paperwork in the foreign country - you are married.
Dunno if that's good or bad...but good luck on everthing.
The person earlier this year asked about the Bahama's, and somebody sent me this answer about a Bahama's marriage:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=497716
Thank you. Actually were just laughing about it. Were ok just living apart for awhile due to some circumstances. I think she wants to hold out for a bigger rock!!!!!!!!!