PDA

View Full Version : 07 Jeep what size tires?

TexasChopper
12-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I bought a 07 Wrangler Sahara 2DR today and will be picking it up on Saturday. I plan on taking to the the 4X4 shop next week (anyone know any good shops in Atlanta? I was talking to guy in Marietta a few months ago but can't find his number) ...anyway, 35" or 37" inch tires? I can get 35's on it with only a 2.5" lift. I plan on putting exhaust and intake on it right away to help the power... I want 37's but I am concerned about how much of a slug it will be. It has the 4.10 rear and I will towing my 6X10 trailer to the MX track. Doubt too much offroad...I'm don't have the same terrain here as all you lucky azzes living in CA/AZ that can do all the rock climbing trail riding, etc.. I just want a big jeep that I can cruise around in and tow my trailer 30-50 miles... soo 35's or 37's what do you think.
FYI... power locks, power windows, hardtop (just for the winter) and it's quiet as can be inside

TCHB
12-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I would not go about 35 inch tires unless you start playing with gears.

Brian
12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
It's all about personal preference... Some folks like to squeeze in as much tire as possible. I like a setup that looks balanced and proportional, with plenty of clearance to allow the suspension to work through its travel without tires rubbing. That said, I wouldn't go larger than 35s, maybe even 33s depending on how much lift and travel... but it's your Jeep, so do what looks good to you!
Doesn't help much does it?
:D

TCHB
12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
If you need some real help PM me and I can put in contact with a guy who does this all the time.

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I haved some really bad news for you buddy
THERE IS NOTHING AVAILABLE...
The new rims have a new off set and are 5x5 bolt patterns
there are only 18 rims out there and they all look like car wheels for a rice burner.
You are stuck like me playing the 6 month to a year waiting game...
Ofcourse if you change the susp, then you can get a spacer and use the old rims with the 5x4.5 pattern

RiverRatMike
12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
The new rims have a new off set and are 5x5 bolt patterns
there are only 18 rims out there and they all look like car wheels for a rice burner.
You are stuck like me playing the 6 month to a year waiting game...
Ofcourse if you change the susp, then you can get a spacer and use the old rims with the 5x4.5 pattern
Should have went with a 07 Rhino!

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 08:53 PM
LOL, I knew that was coming....
Im just surprised it tok so long

Mrs.Killer
12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Glad we didn't , I wouldn't be able to drive it right now it's too cold. I can drive the Jeep anytime:D

mbrown2
12-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Wrong...try this website...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pg=1&cn=Alloy+Wheels&c=135
Hutchinsons or AEV's are the $hit...even the Jeep Commando's look good on the new JK's....or go with the Mopar Hutchinsons......This is 4" with 37's..
http://www.pbase.com/todd_smigelski/image/71370508/large.jpg
With a 2.5inch lift you will clear 35's....make sure you have 4.10 gearing. Full Traction already has their econo 2 and 3 inch lifts out. Superlift and a couple others do to, but I would not go with anything but Rubicon Express or Full Traction for Jeep lifts.

mbrown2
12-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Glad we didn't , I wouldn't be able to drive it right now it's too cold. I can drive the Jeep anytime:D
Yeah exactly, and for only a couple G's more they could have a Jeep more trail and rock ready then any Rhino

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 09:07 PM
That is the website I checked and that is where I came up with the 18 diferent wheels, todd969 turned me on to it. I dont care for any of them and some you will need to lift the jeep and use a spacer. The rims i like should be out in 6 months maybe more, per the company rep I met...Im not happy,but the same thing happened with the vette

mbrown2
12-20-2006, 09:10 PM
That is the website I checked and that is where I came up with the 18 diferent wheels, todd969 turned me on to it. I dont care for any of them and some you will need to lift the jeep and use a spacer. The rims i like should be out in 6 months maybe more, per the company rep I met...Im not happy,but the same thing happened with the vette
I hear you bro....just don't be rolling to the desert bar on 26's and Spinnin, or I am only buying Malt Liquor...:)

Bullhead Bully
12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I have a friend who owns Southern Truck Specialties or STS in Kennessaw His name is Scott and all he does is lifts and custom accesories . I am sure he could point you in the right direction , he is only 15 min. from Murrieta
His number is 770-778-9872
Good Luck
Paul

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I hear you bro....just don't be rolling to the desert bar on 26's and Spinnin, or I am only buying Malt Liquor...:)
ROTFLMAO
I know I live in AZ but you have me confused with 396spits
just 16X8 nothing big or crazy on 33 maybe 35's with a 4" lift
and we plan on going down there, the hard way once we get the wheels and tires.
isaw the pics of those new jeeps you posted and they are sick, BUT DAMN that is some serious cash in those thing

mbrown2
12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
ROTFLMAO
I know I live in AZ but you have me confused with 396spits
just 16X8 nothing big or crazy on 33 maybe 35's with a 4" lift
and we plan on going down there, the hard way once we get the wheels and tires.
isaw the pics of those new jeeps you posted and they are sick, BUT DAMN that is some serious cash in those thing
Yeah...kind of like dumb rhino money going into those jeeps. You are on the right track...My jeep only had 33's and 4.5 lift and could go more places then I would have the balls to go....next one will be 4" with 35's nothing too large.

BLOWN HOWARD
12-20-2006, 09:24 PM
why run 16 inch wheels just go with the 15's. Tires are way cheaper and bigger selection. Like Mike said dont go rollin in some DUBS to the Desert Bar!!!!

Kilrtoy
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
why run 16 inch wheels just go with the 15's. Tires are way cheaper and bigger selection. Like Mike said dont go rollin in some DUBS to the Desert Bar!!!!
the 07's now come stock with 16's or 17's, I have 16's so im just keeping them that size...

BLOWN HOWARD
12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Come to think of it they probably run the 16's to acomodate a bigger brake setup. Atleast that's what they are doing on all the full size trucks and SUV's. I will have to join you out there with my pop's 53 jeep willys

Troy McClure
12-20-2006, 11:00 PM
..or go with the Mopar Hutchinsons......This is 4" with 37's..
That's a good looking rig. I was looking at the '07's but just didn't like them so I bought a '06. That one looks great though, good job. Is that your's or????

Outnumbered
12-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Those tires are too big for that lift if they are gonna run any serious trails. There is no way they won't rub with the swaybars disco'd. 35's on a wrangler are more than adequate and will save your axels. Run 37's and you will be breaking axels. Don't forget that the new wrangler 3.7 has a shitty torque curve compared to the 4.0 and will not spin those big tires as easy as the old reliable 4.0.

TexasChopper
12-21-2006, 04:54 AM
[QUOTE=mbrown2;2304815]Wrong...try this website...
Hutchinsons or AEV's are the $hit...even the Jeep Commando's look good on the new JK's....or go with the Mopar Hutchinsons......This is 4" with 37's..
Thank you for posting that pic... that is exactly the look I want...thanks Mbrown!

TexasChopper
12-21-2006, 04:57 AM
I have a friend who owns Southern Truck Specialties or STS in Kennessaw His name is Scott and all he does is lifts and custom accesories . I am sure he could point you in the right direction , he is only 15 min. from Murrieta
His number is 770-778-9872
Good Luck
Paul
Thanks Paul!!!!

Todd969
12-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Still looking for more options for you. Are you wanting something like your truck in a 16" ? I just got a catalogs from 4wheel parts,ACME,Quadratec and Central 4WD. They all have accessories and claim to have wheel and tire packages for 07. Todd at Big O is still looking for you also.
Todd

Sportin' Wood
12-21-2006, 06:19 AM
make sure you have 4.10 gearing. Full Traction already has their econo 2 and 3 inch lifts out. Superlift and a couple others do to, but I would not go with anything but Rubicon Express or Full Traction for Jeep lifts.
I agree with the Rubicon Express or full traction, very good kits.( I'm installing a RE kit in my TJ jeepspeed this weekend)
I have not done reseaarch on the new jeep but I'm going to assume its the same axle combo as the old.
Even if its a rubicon and you run a 35" or bigger you are looking at possibly breaking Ujoints or shafts in the front end. The Dana 30 is just not strong enough in stock form. I polished a turd 30 a few years ago for a stock mod crawler on 35's and I could break a ujoint at will. Just forget to turn off the ARB air locker and bind the front end and poof another one would bite the dust.( The rubi 44 is a 30/44 hybred
35's and you will also need to look at Gears, Tail shaft SYE kit, steering issues(bump steer) drive shaft angles, and as posted loss of power.
I'm the worst offender of screwing up a perfectly good Jeep and would not pause a moment at lifting a jeep and modifing it. Just make sure you understand that you are going down a road that may require you Just Empty Every Pocket.
I have broken almost every part of a Jeep in the last 15 years there a lot of fun to work on.:D
Best mods you can make are lift and tires, and sway bar disconects.

TexasChopper
12-21-2006, 06:23 AM
here is a site I found this morning... not a whole lot going on over there, but if you have a JK it could prove useful in the future. jknation.com
I decided I'm going with 35's, and a few bolt on performance mods... oh and train horns for sure!!!!

Sportin' Wood
12-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Here is a wheel idea for you. I can not say for sure but I believe Walker will do what ever bolt pattern you want.
http://www.walkerevansracing.com/street.wheels

Trailer Park Casanova
12-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Wrong...try this website...
With a 2.5inch lift you will clear 35's....make sure you have 4.10 gearing. Full Traction already has their econo 2 and 3 inch lifts out. Superlift and a couple others do to, but I would not go with anything but Rubicon Express or Full Traction for Jeep lifts.
Nice looking Jeep.
What color is that, Salmon?
Looks excellent.

Todd969
12-21-2006, 06:46 AM
here is a site I found this morning... not a whole lot going on over there, but if you have a JK it could prove useful in the future. jknation.com
I decided I'm going with 35's, and a few bolt on performance mods... oh and train horns for sure!!!!
35"s are great if you are not planning on highway speeds. I put 33" on mine and noticed some loss. I only did a 2.5" Rancho lift because I didn't want to mess with drive line and transfer case issues. So far I am very happy with it. It's capable of going places it will never see.

2Driver
12-21-2006, 06:59 AM
If you are not off roading why in the hell would you want anything more than 33's Even with 33's you should re-gear. You will have a pig of a jeep even with the 33's, and towing a few dirt bikes? Good luck and don’t go out in a head wind.
I have had 4 CJ's and 3 TJ's and been through it all. I found running a 3.5" teraflex lift and 32's with 410 to be the best hands down.
BTW: Don't expect much if anything from your exhaust and intake upgrade. It will sound a little different but you'll end up doing more convincing yourself it did something vs noticing any real difference.

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Still looking for more options for you. Are you wanting something like your truck in a 16" ? I just got a catalogs from 4wheel parts,ACME,Quadratec and Central 4WD. They all have accessories and claim to have wheel and tire packages for 07. Todd at Big O is still looking for you also.
Todd
I know TODD, im a little picky...... Todd over there is awesome and I keep in contact with him weekly. I really like the TEFLON wheels and no they dont have to be 16's

TexasChopper
12-21-2006, 07:52 AM
If you are not off roading why in the hell would you want anything more than 33's Even with 33's you should re-gear. You will have a pig of a jeep even with the 33's, and towing a few dirt bikes? Good luck and don’t go out in a head wind.
I have had 4 CJ's and 3 TJ's and been through it all. I found running a 3.5" teraflex lift and 32's with 410 to be the best hands down.
BTW: Don't expect much if anything from your exhaust and intake upgrade. It will sound a little different but you end up doing more convincing yourself it did something vs noticing any real difference.
I want to go 35's for looks only. I figure the 35's will fill the wheel well very well and it should look sharp....also I have always wanted a big wrangler... However anyone think I could get 33's w/o a lift? that could look good as well
so I take it you have done the performance upgrades and nothing, thank you for passing that on....
here is a pic of my 2000 Sahara with 32/11.50's with no lift. everyone said this can't be done and 31/10.50's were as large as I could go, but not correct. The front tire would rub against the spring if I turned the wheel as far as it would go, but it was never a problem at all. see how well the wheel wells are filled, I think that looks really nice.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/TexasChopper/HFDGH.jpg

phebus
12-21-2006, 08:10 AM
I would not go with anything but Rubicon Express or Full Traction for Jeep lifts.
I just went with a Rubicon Express Super Flex lift on my Jeeep, and so far really like it. Well made kit, and I like the Super Flex Joints, vs. the bushings of other lift kits.

2Driver
12-21-2006, 08:12 AM
I think it looks nice like you have it, but that's my opinion.
I get most my guidance from the chief design engineer at Jeep. He is a friend and so happened he bought one of my old CJ's. It's been in a few Mags.
Anyway he was the brain child for the Rubicon and pushed it through the finance guys at Chrysler. So I get some info from "doing" and from the source.

phebus
12-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Kilr, when you are ready to have your work done, talk to Chuck, the owner of Accurate Auto Care here in Havasu. They specialize in Jeeps, can get anything and everything, and have great pricing. Great guy, and a real straight shooter. Let me know if you want the contact info.

TexasChopper
12-21-2006, 08:21 AM
are some of you guys talking about 06 and older wranglers? I am talking about the new body 07... that is what I now have.... or will have on Saturday afternoon

mbrown2
12-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I am planning on doing the 34"x17 Goodyear MTR's on a 4 Door Rubi with 4inch lift once RE releases their lift. The 4.10 gearing will go down to about 3.89 with that combo, but should be ok with for both highway and offroad with 4 to 1 low in the Rubi.
In a year or so I swap both axles out for Dyna's or Currie's, but until then the 34 and 4.10's will work....and if they last great..but I know definitely know anytime over 33 the risk increases...34 is a good compromise from 35's.

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 08:49 AM
are some of you guys talking about 06 and older wranglers? I am talking about the new body 07... that is what I now have.... or will have on Saturday afternoon
refer to post 5 on page 1

phebus
12-21-2006, 09:10 PM
see how well the wheel wells are filled, I think that looks really nice.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/TexasChopper/HFDGH.jpg
The last thing you want to do, is fill the wheel wells on an off road vehicle when it is in a static position.
What room do you have for travel?