PDA

View Full Version : Slow Boat Sales Just A Myth?

Pussywhippled
12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I drive by Commander Boats (in Corona) everyday. The same boats for sale have been sitting there, new and used for months it seems. Are all of the boat mfg's this slow or is it just Commander?
Here are a couple of scenarios I came up with.
1. Commander Boats does such a good job designing boats for their inventory lot boats, so they sell them week after week and just keep building the same ones over and over again.
2. Commander's boat sales are really slow and the boats are just sitting.
3. All boat mfg's sales are slow, but I don't drive by their places everyday.
Or maybe we are all still supposed to sugar coat how well the economy and how much disposable income is still floating around Southern California.
Well I'm off to check out the Spam section to see who needs Christmas money...

HocusPocus
12-21-2006, 08:27 AM
The boat trader this winter is almost twice as thick as in the previous winters, its going to be the size of a phone book come spring. At one time is was rare to see many boats that were a year or two old, now its packed with them.

Rexone
12-21-2006, 08:27 AM
From my perspective it is not a myth.

Outnumbered
12-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Here is the deal. The economy overall is doing pretty well. Unemployment is low, the stock market is near record highs, etc. The problem is that SoCal's economy is powered by home equity. All the inflated toy prices have been fueled by cheap and "free" home equity. Now that most wana-be ballers have blown their home equity wad, home prices are dropping, and their HELOC has adjusted to 8.25% the toys have to go. No more $100k buggies, $200k boats, etc. However, the real ballers are in great shape as they can snatch up some great deals on big baller toys right about now.
There ya go...the simplified version as viewed by me. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
12-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Some are slow and others are not. I've heard that the company that virtually all of the builders buy their resin from is continuing to receive orders for more resin from only two builders.....Don't know the validity of that but that is what I heard.....

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Some are slow and others are not. I've heard that the company that virtually all of the builders buy their resin from is continuing to receive orders for more resin from only two builders.....Don't know the validity of that but that is what I heard.....
I take a shot at that one
Elim and DCB

Trailer Park Casanova
12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Commander got worked over pretty good in the HB forums.
Could that have had any effect?

Caljamr
12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I bought a F150 crew cab 4x4 on Saturday and i asked if sales were slow and said they sold 15 F-150's on Friday. I don't know if that's true but the pickings were slim. Like it was said earlier using that equity for buying toys may not have been the smartest thing to do. I almost jumped on the wagon but i'm just small baller and i'll get to the sandbar just alittle after the big ballers. :)

OCMerrill
12-21-2006, 09:15 AM
From my perspective it is not a myth.
Slow?
Bummer.
I purchased this boat as a project that could possibly turn a small profit. Now that I am nearly through it values drop and oops. Oh well.
So now I will just use it up.

No Name
12-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Elim and DCB
But I thought they were the same thing.:confused: :D

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
But I thought they were the same thing.:confused: :D
You thought wrong. :wink:

RiverDave
12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Elim and DCB
I'd bet Ultra and Howard if my money was on it..
RD

No Name
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
You thought wrong. :wink:
You’re right, the DCB just cost more…………lol :D

Ziggy
12-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Elim and DCB
So full of DCLB lore.....................what would even make you think such a thing with the used market flooded with DCLB's :D:D
Price of zipties went up drastically because of them... :D
;)

Hardly Satisfied
12-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Here is the deal. The economy overall is doing pretty well. Unemployment is low, the stock market is near record highs, etc. The problem is that SoCal's economy is powered by home equity. All the inflated toy prices have been fueled by cheap and "free" home equity. Now that most wana-be ballers have blown their home equity wad, home prices are dropping, and their HELOC has adjusted to 8.25% the toys have to go. No more $100k buggies, $200k boats, etc. However, the real ballers are in great shape as they can snatch up some great deals on big baller toys right about now.
I think you are right

Hardly Satisfied
12-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I bought a F150 crew cab 4x4 on Saturday and i asked if sales were slow and said they sold 15 F-150's on Friday. I don't know if that's true but the pickings were slim. Like it was said earlier using that equity for buying toys may not have been the smartest thing to do. I almost jumped on the wagon but i'm just small baller and i'll get to the sandbar just alittle after the big ballers. :)
alot of people need trucks and it's alot less to buy than a big ticket item like a boat

2Driver
12-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I can't believe how many buggies are for sale in the AZ cycle trader right now. So far the ones I have called on are all still available. Some sitting since October. Yep , few home equity toys being sold. By contrast the boat trader is very slim.

No Name
12-21-2006, 10:04 AM
the boat trader is very slim.
That will all change come February. :D

Keith E. Sayre
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I've been doing this a long time and this is the slowest
year that I've ever seen. It wasn't that there were less
sales as much as only 1/4 of the people calling or stopping
by to look. We're caught up with production and could start a new boat in a week or so. That's never happened
here at Group 1Marine dba conquest boats. I agree with
"Outnumbered" explanation of the west coast market. I
think that's right on the money.
According to a boat "trade magazine" called "Soundings-Trade Only" which caters to boat manufacturers, there has
been a consistent slow year every fifth year since the 70's
in the boat business and this past year was the fifth year.
Don't know how accurate that is but interesting reading.
Hope it picks up soon, this is boring!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 10:09 AM
You’re right, the DCB just cost more…………lol :D
How would you know? Have you ever put the check book out there to REALLY find out what it REALLY costs to build a boat like Daves, not just what you read or hearsey(sp)? :idea: :D :p

No Name
12-21-2006, 10:43 AM
How would you know? Have you ever put the check book out there to REALLY find out what it REALLY costs to build a boat like Daves, (sp)? :idea: :D :p
I guess I don’t, I never use a check book when buying toys….only cash.:eek: :D

dirty old man
12-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Seasonal

DMOORE
12-21-2006, 10:55 AM
It's winter. Just a guess, but I would bet that just might have something to do with it. BTW. how are buggy ,and snowmobile sales?
Darrell.

sigepmock
12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I know one builder who isn't doing too bad....:D
But yes as a whole I think this is definitely one of the slower winters in a long time.

Sleek-Jet
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Lots of people buy slow boats... otherwise Bayliner would be out of business... :rolleyes: :D

Havasu_Dreamin
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I know one builder who isn't doing too bad....:D
As do I.....but we're talking about different builders.....:D

beaverretriever
12-21-2006, 10:59 AM
I had a record November in sales last month and I missed 4 extra days due to my vacation. BTW, I sell Harleys. Another one of those must have luxury items..:D
This month is a little slower but over all things same great here in Hendeson/Vegas area.
I have been looking for a good deal on a new cat,(or possibly used) and it doesnt seem like the dealers are just laying down.

Dribble
12-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I had a record November in sales last month and I missed 4 extra days due to my vacation. BTW, I sell Harleys. Another one of those must have luxury items..:D
This month is a little slower but over all things same great here in Hendeson/Vegas area.
I have been looking for a good deal on a new cat,(or possibly used) and it doesnt seem like the dealers are just laying down.
I don't know about Vegas but I just bought a new (06) Harley here in Norcal in October and was able to get them to take about $3500.00 off the price. Seems like the baller items are slowing down around here.

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 11:17 AM
I guess I don’t, I never use a check book when buying toys….only cash.:eek: :D
Got to have the cash to write the check. :eek: :)

No Name
12-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Got to have the cash to write the check. :eek: :)
True, but if the cash comes from a line of credit from a second mortgage is it really cash?:idea: :D

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
True, but if the cash comes from a line of credit from a second mortgage is it really cash?:idea: :D
In that Retro-spect, No it wouldnt be, to me that would be a big risk, that I would not like to get into.

No Name
12-21-2006, 11:27 AM
In that Retro-spect, No it wouldnt be, to me that would be a big risk, that I would not like to get into.
So we do agree on something. ;)

beaverretriever
12-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know about Vegas but I just bought a new (06) Harley here in Norcal in October and was able to get them to take about $3500.00 off the price. Seems like the baller items are slowing down around here.
If you got a new Harley 3500.00 under MSRP you got the best deal in the country... What did you get? Congrats btw.

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 11:38 AM
So we do agree on something. ;)
Of course, why wouldnt we. :hammer2: :D :rollside:

dumbandyoung
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
i love this slow market.. im buying a new boat and every build is saying "were raising prices in 07".. bullshit! ..and if they do raise the cats up 6-7grand.. let em.. ill go snag a great used boat. im taking my sweet time cause nothing is selling. im gonna find the best deal and go from there.:D :D :)

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 02:47 PM
So full of DCLB lore.....................what would even make you think such a thing with the used market flooded with DCLB's :D:D
Price of zipties went up drastically because of them... :D
;)
Well they have a ONE,1 UNO year waiting list ,Maybe that is why.:idea:

RiverDave
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Well they have a ONE,1 UNO year waiting list ,Maybe that is why.:idea:
Must be why Andy was able to go down there and get a boat built in a matter of weeks.. :D Are you serious?
The only boat builder with a REAL One, 1 UNO year waiting list is Schiada, and that's becuase they take so damn long to build. Anyone else tells you something stupid like that, believe me they are blowing smoke up your ass.
RD

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Must be why Andy was able to go down there and get a boat built in a matter of weeks.. :D Are you serious?
The only boat builder with a REAL One, 1 UNO year waiting list is Schiada, and that's becuase they take so damn long to build. Anyone else tells you something stupid like that, believe me they are blowing smoke up your ass.
RD
Ok, let me correct myself just a little
a 29 or 32 has a one year waiting list,a 26 goes into the mold really quick

Devil's Advocate
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
And while you're at it, correct that punctuation of yours.:D :D
Ah, good job with a quick edit!;)

Dribble
12-21-2006, 03:04 PM
If you got a new Harley 3500.00 under MSRP you got the best deal in the country... What did you get? Congrats btw.
2006 Heritage Softail Classic. The dealer had three 06's in stock. The asking price included $1,800 in chrome upgrades so I ended up paying about $1,600 under MSRP and got the upgrades for free. The other two stock bikes sat there for another two months before they sold and they were dealing on those too. It was a combination of too much 06 inventory along with the 2007's sitting next to them with the bigger motor and the six speed trans. They had no choice but to deal.

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 03:05 PM
And while you're at it, correct that punctuation of yours.:D :D
Ah, good job with a quick edit!;)
Keyboard is sticking and you caught me,damn your a fast little girl:D

RiverDave
12-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Do you really believe that? LOL.... Jesus man you gotta stop letting Dave's hair hypnotize you when your talking to him. If a 26 can get built, so can a 29 or a 32.. If it was truly taking a year (No B.S. 365 days to schedule a slot) He'd build another mold of each and double production.
Now your gonna come back with the "He only builds so many a year to maintain quality" nonsense.. I'll answer it before you even bother. They aren't as "custom" as you'd think. Every peace of Hardware on your boat, is on another F - 26. That being the case Quality isn't going to suffer much by increasing production. I really like DCB's I don't want you to take it the wrong way.. I think they are at the top of the heap for West coast builders, but jesus man your cheer lead pretty hard for them on here to the point that it puts a sour taste in peoples mouths.
RD

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Do you really believe that? LOL.... Jesus man you gotta stop letting Dave's hair hypnotize you when your talking to him. If a 26 can get built, so can a 29 or a 32.. If it was truly taking a year (No B.S. 365 days to schedule a slot) He'd build another mold of each and double production.
Now your gonna come back with the "He only builds so many a year to maintain quality" nonsense.. I'll answer it before you even bother. They aren't as "custom" as you'd think. Every peace of Hardware on your boat, is on another F - 26. That being the case Quality isn't going to suffer much by increasing production.
RD
davei m not here to argue with you
he has 6 riggers that is two per boat and it takes them just under three months to do a single boat start to finish. I know other companys can bang them out in 2 week, but we arent talking about them and yes there is awaiting list

Devil's Advocate
12-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Keyboard is sticking and you caught me,damn your a fast little girl:D
:wink:

RiverDave
12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
he has 6 riggers that is two per boat and it takes them just under three months to do a single boat start to finish. I know other companys can bang them out in 2 week, but we arent talking about them and yes there is awaiting list
How can you say there is a 1 year wait to build a boat, when Andy literally just went down there and bought one in ONE DAY?
I'm surprised it takes that long for them to put one together, but I guess I can understand it.. There is a lot that goes into a boat.
RD

sigepmock
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Perfect time to work on that catalog of yours.....
That right there was funny....!!!!! LOL....:D

dumbandyoung
12-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Now your gonna come back with the "He only builds so many a year to maintain quality" nonsense.. I'll answer it before you even bother. They aren't as "custom" as you'd think. Every peace of Hardware on your boat, is on another F - 26. That being the case Quality isn't going to suffer much by increasing production. I really like DCB's I don't want you to take it the wrong way.. I think they are at the top of the heap for West coast builders, but jesus man your cheer lead pretty hard for them on here to the point that it puts a sour taste in peoples mouths.
RD
true about the Schiadas but were talkin night and day with the two builders... its a different style of boat.. you wont ever see two older sangers or hallets look the same. yah maybe they might have a similar valve cover or air scoop..lol
dcb and schiada are both great builders but.. not able to compare.. look i cant afford a brand new dcb.. used but not new. so the day i can afford one and pick all the shit i want off those option sheets is they day ill talk.. id rather go eliminator anyways.. just my two cents

dumbandyoung
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
what are you shootin all over that keyboard to make it sticky

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 03:34 PM
How can you say there is a 1 year wait to build a boat, when Andy literally just went down there and bought one in ONE DAY?
I'm surprised it takes that long for them to put one together, but I guess I can understand it.. There is a lot that goes into a boat.
RD
Since qoute 38 wasnt good enough, i'll try it again and since you brought up ANDy, isnt his boat being rigged elsewhere, they just did the boat's shell for him

ThongMagnet
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Another DCB thread take over again....when will they learn.
The economy has to catch up a little, but boat sales won't be too bad in 2007. I see more $40-80K boats at the boat show this year. Horsepower and speed will not be a factor, as long as the boat does 60mph.
Quality will start to return to the custom boat business...meaning nicer interiors.

TCHB
12-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes they were offering $10K off sticker. That is nice.

dumbandyoung
12-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Lots of people buy slow boats... otherwise Bayliner would be out of business... :rolleyes: :D
sleek, you almost for got a about the the great custom builder Chaparral .. i hear theyve reached speeds of 49mph.. almost as fast as a seadoo.

beaverretriever
12-21-2006, 05:06 PM
2006 Heritage Softail Classic. The dealer had three 06's in stock. The asking price included $1,800 in chrome upgrades so I ended up paying about $1,600 under MSRP and got the upgrades for free. The other two stock bikes sat there for another two months before they sold and they were dealing on those too. It was a combination of too much 06 inventory along with the 2007's sitting next to them with the bigger motor and the six speed trans. They had no choice but to deal.
Thats a good deal. You didn't do bad at all.
I had 3 06s left when my 07s showed up and I let them go for about 1500 under. After people saw the 07s they lost all interest in the 06s. I had to give them away.

YeLLowBoaT
12-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Boat sales are hurting...let me put it this way... a very large boat dealer was doing so well last year that they bought the land across the street and build a Huge warhouse... guess what... its for sale... At way less then it cost to build( I know the super that built it...)Or what about the sacramento boat show... I was there the last day this year ( looking for deal) I talked to several sales reps form the diffrent lots and mans.... most of them had only sold 1-3 boats... were normally its 25-30... yeah the markets doing just fine... :confused:

EmpirE231
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmmm I'm sure lots of "toy" businesses are slowing down... some are just taking longer to get their share of "slow time" ... this is good... maybe it'll snap lots of prices back down to reason!

Chubby4Life
12-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Boat sales are hurting...let me put it this way... a very large boat dealer was doing so well last year that they bought the land across the street and build a Huge warhouse... guess what... its for sale... At way less then it cost to build( I know the super that built it...)Or what about the sacramento boat show... I was there the last day this year ( looking for deal) I talked to several sales reps form the diffrent lots and mans.... most of them had only sold 1-3 boats... were normally its 25-30... yeah the markets doing just fine... :confused:
I went to last years Sac show and was not impressed. Too many fishing boats for me. There was one Eliminator and a couple Lavey's though. We are in the market to upgrade from a 27' to a 32'/34' so I guess we'll be flying down to the L.A. show. Hopefully the builders will be feeling the crunch and be willing to talk rather than sit there with their arms folded with the "thats's the price, take it or leave it" look.

BADBLOWN572
12-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I am honestly wondering why it takes that long to do. If you have 2 good riggers on a boat, it shouldn't take any more than 1 week (5 business days) to rig a single engine boat and MAYBE 1 1/2 weeks for a twin engine boat (7-8 business days). That would also be a rig job that is equivalent to a DCB. No offense to Dave, but he has the best "production" boat out on the market. Even with all of the extra "bling" that is put on every boat, they are still all production parts that are readily available. What takes A LOT of time is custom fabrication. Not installation.
From the time that the boat rolls out of the buffing/sanding area, it should take AT MOST 2 weeks from bare hull to a finished MECHANICAL project. Yes after that, you still need interior installed (which should be being built at the time of rigging), stereo, etc... It sounds to me like there is a TON of downtime between the different stages of production.
When in the industry, it typically took 3-4 weeks from the time that a boat is sprayed until it is out the door. Stock boats, outboards, blower motors, etc... they are all still basically the same when it comes to components.
Just my .02 :)

77charger
12-21-2006, 09:13 PM
No offense to Dave, but he has the best "production" boat out on the market. Even with all of the extra "bling" that is put on every boat, they are still all production parts that are readily available. What takes A LOT of time is custom fabrication. Not installation.
OH OH DCB and PRODUCTION in the same sentence.I am going to get my popcorn cooked and hit the local liquor store right now before the cheerleaders ee this.LOL :D :confused:

Sleek-Jet
12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I am honestly wondering why it takes that long to do.
Do you realize how long it takes to install all those zip-ties??? :D :D :D

BADBLOWN572
12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Do you realize how long it takes to install all those zip-ties??? :D :D :D
Yeah I do. :) Been there, done that a TON of times. I can do a dash (with same quality as DCB) in 1 - 1 1/2 days. That is with every wire shrink wrapped instead of insulated. Also, that is on a twin engine boat making my own harness.
Even if it took 1 week to do the dash (one person) and one week to do the back (1 person) both guys would be working together on it so they should be about to have 90% of it done in a week. After that, it is just misc. odds and ends that need to be tied up.
I can see a boat taking 3-4 weeks from the time that it moves in from the sanding/buffing until it is ready to go out the door. That is with a lot of fudge room in there, but it is pretty realistic. 6 months build time from start to finish is nutts!!!

John.
12-22-2006, 11:44 AM
spill the beans...which boat builder is now selling their warehouse? maybe it was just an investment property?
the Sac boat show doesn't usually have ***boats. I'm hoping to see more up here this year. our ***boat community is growing rapidly.

YeLLowBoaT
12-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Its the one off 50 that use to have the boat cut in half for a sign... I forget the name( I suck with names... faces I remember for ever... names are gone in 2 mins :D ) its not a investment prop when you have your named painted on the building in 12 ft high letters...

Mandelon
12-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I saw Hallet is moving forward with their new location off the 605 fwy.

shadow
12-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Do you really believe that? LOL.... Jesus man you gotta stop letting Dave's hair hypnotize you when your talking to him.
I really like DCB's I don't want you to take it the wrong way.. jesus man your cheer lead pretty hard for them on here to the point that it puts a sour taste in peoples mouths.
RD
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021616dcb_cheerleader.jpg
Sorry Herman you just happen to get in the Pic,everytime i hear cheerleader and DCLB
i imediately think of this pic.

buzzaro
12-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Its the one off 50 that use to have the boat cut in half for a sign... I forget the name( I suck with names... faces I remember for ever... names are gone in 2 mins :D ) its not a investment prop when you have your named painted on the building in 12 ft high letters...
Was that the one pretty close to white cap off of folsom blvd? Paulson's I think.

bigq
12-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Ford is a public company unlike the boat builders so you can read the quarterly reports to know that their sales suck.

YeLLowBoaT
12-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Was that the one pretty close to white cap off of folsom blvd? Paulson's I think.
sounds right... but there is like 4 with in a half mile.

John.
12-23-2006, 02:59 PM
sounds right... but there is like 4 with in a half mile.
man, I should have read this earlier today. I was just there. I am storing the WCF inside at the California Park & Sell on Mercantile and dropped it off there earlier.

little rowe boat
12-23-2006, 03:05 PM
This is just a question and I am not trying to piss off the DCB owners but isn't a DCB an Eliminator or should I say out of the same Eliminator molds, just with nicer gelcoats and better rigging ???

shadow
12-23-2006, 03:53 PM
This is just a question and I am not trying to piss off the DCB owners but isn't a DCB an Eliminator or should I say out of the same Eliminator molds, just with nicer gelcoats and better rigging ???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021745post-768-1161365533_thumb-med.jpg

Froggystyle
12-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I am honestly wondering why it takes that long to do. If you have 2 good riggers on a boat, it shouldn't take any more than 1 week (5 business days) to rig a single engine boat and MAYBE 1 1/2 weeks for a twin engine boat (7-8 business days). That would also be a rig job that is equivalent to a DCB. No offense to Dave, but he has the best "production" boat out on the market. Even with all of the extra "bling" that is put on every boat, they are still all production parts that are readily available. What takes A LOT of time is custom fabrication. Not installation.
From the time that the boat rolls out of the buffing/sanding area, it should take AT MOST 2 weeks from bare hull to a finished MECHANICAL project. Yes after that, you still need interior installed (which should be being built at the time of rigging), stereo, etc... It sounds to me like there is a TON of downtime between the different stages of production.
When in the industry, it typically took 3-4 weeks from the time that a boat is sprayed until it is out the door. Stock boats, outboards, blower motors, etc... they are all still basically the same when it comes to components.
So far I have yet to rig a boat in under 4 months. I am hoping to get it down to 2 months by the next couple, but there isn't a single off-the-shelf part on the boat to speak of, and the assembly time is a killer for me.
I can see how it takes that long to do it right...

Jordy
12-23-2006, 05:06 PM
So far I have yet to rig a boat in under 4 months. I am hoping to get it down to 2 months by the next couple, but there isn't a single off-the-shelf part on the boat to speak of, and the assembly time is a killer for me.
True, but as Danny pointed out, DCB isn't exactly a "custom" boat per se as there really aren't any "one-off" parts at this point, where as, everything you're doing is pretty much different at the stages where Trident is right now. I venture to say that 10 years from now, when you've cranked out a few hundred boats, things will be a little more streamlined in the operation. ;)

Kilrtoy
12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
ELVIS has left the building......:D
I guess that will about some it up right there

Kilrtoy
12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021616dcb_cheerleader.jpg
Sorry Herman you just happen to get in the Pic,everytime i hear cheerleader and DCLB
i imediately think of this pic.
Shadow he was in there first, I got added later.....
Still love that pic

BADBLOWN572
12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
True, but as Danny pointed out, DCB isn't exactly a "custom" boat per se as there really aren't any "one-off" parts at this point, where as, everything you're doing is pretty much different at the stages where Trident is right now. I venture to say that 10 years from now, when you've cranked out a few hundred boats, things will be a little more streamlined in the operation. ;)
BINGO!!! Jordy nailed it on that one. The Tridet is still in the R&D portion with ramping up into production. When you need one off machined parts, try different designs, etc... that takes a TON of time. When it comes to DCB, their boats are basically all the same. They are not sending out for custom machined parts for individual boats, trying out unproved designs, etc... When you have "off the shelf parts" and a proven way to do things, your time is cut in 1/2.