PDA

View Full Version : Quick boating question

you gots 2 chill
12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
I know the general opinion is that 25ft or bigger is ideal for havasu, but what do you think is too big for a boat that will be primarily be for lake use?
Thanks for your input. Merry Christmas!

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Anything over 42' is probably too big for Havasu.

RiverDave
12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
:eek: anthing over 24' is to friggin big:D :D
I think 25' is a big boat.. LOL :D
I wouldn't want to own anything bigger then that for Havasu.
If I was going to some of the larger lakes maybe a 27-28?
RD

Sleek-Jet
12-21-2006, 11:38 AM
:eek: anthing over 24' is to friggin big:D :D
I was going to say the same thing... :D

you gots 2 chill
12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
What about all the 29-32ft DCB's?

AZKC
12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Anything over 42' is probably too big for Havasu.
Isn't the Channel restricted to 38' or is it 32', or is it not enforced whatever it is?

Keith E. Sayre
12-21-2006, 12:01 PM
In order to answer those questions, I think you need to decide what do YOU want to do in the boat. For example,
when we were kids, everyone cruised at 30 to 35 mph and
most family style boats went about 40 mph wide open.
The wakes were small and the boats were 16 or 17 feet
long with little freeboard and everyone was happy.
Now, when going to the sandbar, the average guy is going
65 mph cruising effortlessly and instead of 4 to 5 people,
he has 8 or 9 people and the average boat is about 25' and getting bigger. Do you want to cruise at 35 or 65? Do you want to carry 4 people or 8? Also, do you want to boat on weekdays or on holiday weekends?
The other factor is the comfort factor. In our 1963 Glastron with the Evinrude 75 there were 4 seats and an
ice chest that slid around to sit on. Today, that 29' DCB
that you just mentioned like Mr. Harley drives can seat
about 10 or 12 people in dedicated seats that are more
comfortable than your sofa at home.
Then the quality of the ride, bigger is almost always better! Todays tunnel hulls have gotten rid of a great deal of the "bad habits" that older boats had. They no longer
porpoise, they lean in, they plane faster etc etc.
So what's it going to be? Wanna cruise at 35 or 65?
Since you mentioned DCB, I'm going to say that if DCB built their 32 in deckboat style, they would probably have
perhaps the finest family "lake" boat ever built. For those of you that don't have Charley and Mr. Harleys wallet thickness-remember that Conquests new 32 deckboat mold
will be finished in another 6 months or so!
About 4 summers ago I spent alot of time selling the "Lucky Strike" 35' Cigarrette. At first it seemed huge,
by the end of the summer, it felt perfect for our lake. Then my Schiada felt tiny, now it feels perfect for our lake.
I don't know if I answered your question or not but hopefully I've helped you think about some things that most of us don't remember until after we buy our next toy. Do you ski or wakeboard? There's another big one to
consider.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I have had on havasu
24 foot deck
26 foot party cat
36 outlaw
now 30 daytona
36 too big, ramps were a nightmare.
30 is perfect fast stable handles all water
32 would be the max in my opinion.
28 would be the minimum for havasu.
cat or v

Krumbsnatcher
12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Easy to ramp in and out if all by your self. Plus the extra size is required on the weekends, the lake gets pretty rough.
I have a magic 29, and it has been perfect for havasu, in fact i keep it at the lake house and it never leaves.
just .02

Kilrtoy
12-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey now ,
you know a 25 footer is ideal for the lake or river and if its a cat 26
AND YOU KNOW THIS MAN:D

No Name
12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
A boating question on ***boat….what’s happening to this place. :confused: :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Isn't the Channel restricted to 38' or is it 32', or is it not enforced whatever it is?
It's restricted (sometimes) to 36' and over...
...which is why I have a 35' boat...lol.

MR HARLEY
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
What about all the 29-32ft DCB's?
That would be my pick, great boats , especially at that size you spoke of or a F-26 DCB is a Havasu Hotrod. The 29's and 32's They soak up everything that Havasu can throw at them and IMO the rougher it gets out there the better our boat performs and runs. :) The 26 is to me is just an all around blast. A good time Drivers boat, one that wants to feel every mile an hour out there.
Remember that Conquests new 32 deckboat mold will be finished in another 6 months or so!
Keith,
Cant wait to see it, Im sure it will be a hit just like your other models. ;)

AirtimeLavey
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
I like the 24' Lavey NuEra I have. It's big enough to handle Havasu and Powell, although it's not the smoothest ride really epic rugged water. We stepped up from a 19' jet, and while that was a blast, we also sometimes felt like we were taking our lives into our own hands when the wind came up, or sometimes just going in the section between Copper and the Channel. Then again, we don't like to boat much in rugged water - who does. We like to ski, wakeboard, tube, etc. and I think any bigger, it gets harder to do that.
Since we go to a lot of different lakes, and don't just stay at the same spot, we tow a lot. The 24' tows well, but I'd hate to tow any bigger as much as we do.
The 24' handles the afternoon chop really well, and I have yet to get into something where I wasn't totoally comfortable, although Powell got interesting in the narrows' washing machine. I'd hate to be any smaller up there.
Bottomline, I think if you do more than just park it and party, and a few speed runs, then the 24-25' is the ideal all around lake boat length.

rivercrazy
12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I have a 25V with a 24 degree deadrise (Shockwave 25 Tremor). It handles the rough stuff in Havasu and Mohave no problems.
For me its perfectly sized. I can run the river, parker, needles, mohave, havasu, mead, and the ocean.

you gots 2 chill
12-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Any more? I've been out every major holiday for the last 2 years in a 25ft & 29ft V and a 24ft pontoon. They all seem fine except for the painfully slow pontoon. The 29 was graet but I think I can get away with a little smaller/cheaper.

Keith E. Sayre
12-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Here's another one to chew on. If you could have a used but super clean 2-3 year old 28 to 29' boat or for the same
price a new 25' boat-- which do you buy?
Personally, I'd go with the used bigger boat. The logic being that in 3 to 4 years you've got a used boat either way you go but at least I'd have the bigger better boat
it wasn't quite new but it's better?
Tough call.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

phebus
12-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd buy the biggest boat and biggest motor I could afford, and save having to upgrade in a few years.
As far as buying used, I would definately shop the used market. there are some very good deals on some really clean boats out there. May as well let someone else take the hit on the new boat, and gat the value of a used boat. If you're discriminating, you can get just what you want.

Biglue
12-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd buy the biggest boat and biggest motor I could afford, and save having to upgrade in a few years.
As far as buying used, I would definately shop the used market. there are some very good deals on some really clean boats out there. May as well let someone else take the hit on the new boat, and gat the value of a used boat. If you're discriminating, you can get just what you want.
That's what I did. As I compare the available used boats, same model same builder, I could sell mine for what I bought it for. I could even squeeze in a couple grand profit if I wanted to and still sell cheaper than what is available out there. I feel pretty good about the purchase of my boat. I'm not taking a bath now in the 2nd year of me owning it. Now my truck, that's a different story. :mad: