PDA

View Full Version : Circle Gears

Morg
07-25-2002, 09:20 AM
This is mainly for v-drive Tom.
I just sold the Hondo & picked up an old circle race Revenge.
Are the gears different in the box for rotating the oposite direction?
Also, what is a good way to see what gears are in the box? I tried rotating the input shaft until the input & output shafts returned to the same spot. It took 17 rotations on the input & 19 rotations on the output. 19 divided by 17 = 1.11. Do I have 11% gears. Or have I publicy embarrased myself.
:o
John

LeE ss13
07-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Acutally that's 1.117747058824 ... so I'd call 'em a set of 12s. Yes they make left and right hand gears, but I have used them both ways and have not had a failure. Where did the Revenge come from? Was it an old Circle Race Boat?
------------
LeE ss13

Morg
07-25-2002, 11:16 AM
LeE ss13,
The boat I picket up is a 1980 Revenge. Scott Peralto "SS126" used to run the boat before his current SS126 boat. The boat was originaly built by Richard Getle.
I am in the process of putting a few brackets & parts in the boat now. After that everything comes out to be polished & powdercoated. The panel's & bulkhead are going to be replaced. I am then going to strip the floors add new venier which will match the new panels & bulkhead. In some places the gell coat needs to be stripped & re-shot so that is also going to be done. clean up bottom. Re-paint & reassemble. Essentialy I've got a lot of work to do. I'm hoping to have it in the water mid next year.
Hope to make it up north for the race's.
Thanks for the info on the gears. I had never tried figuring out the percentage. Somehowe I got it. :D

LeE ss13
07-25-2002, 12:49 PM
That is a very good boat. I ran with Scott in a lot of races when he had that boat. I've even heard him mummble about sometimes wishing he had it back. But then again, I might be mistaken. (he he)
-------
LeE ss13

126driver
07-25-2002, 01:25 PM
No Larry, you deciphered my mumbling correctly. That was a sweet boat but I thing we're almost done with the growing pains in the new boat. :D
Morg, the Revenge had 18's in it when I sold it, but who knows what happened between now and then. I was digging around in the trailer last night and found some prop/gear info on your boat. I'll have to check but I think I still have two 1" shaft props that the boat used to like. What are you going to put in it for power?
Scott

Morg
07-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Scott,
When I picked the boat up at Billy B's shop I just happend to pick up billy's SS motor he used to run in the bezer before the K motor :D :D :D . Billy had changed to a roller cam & a single plane manifold. Depending on the amount of money I've got left when I get close to finishing, I may end up with a tunnel ram on top of the motor.
In case you don't know about billys motor. It is a 427, 13:1 alum. heads. Supposebly Gordy & Pfaff had a big part in the motor. I am going to check everything out inside & rebalance with the new flywheel & pulley's. Verry much looking forward to seing what it will do.
I was a little surprised to see the box had 11% gears. I am planning on starting with 15% & going from there. I would also greatly appreciate any prop. info you could give me. Jerry G. sent me some video's of you running the boat. It looked like it worked verry well. He also included the clip of it pitching you out. eek! eek! eek! I'm guessing that was the last time you ran the boat.
I will be in Long Beach for the races. Jerry is setting me up for the weekend. Haven't heard whether you are going to make it? Hope to see you there.
John
[ July 25, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Morg ]

CircleJerk
07-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Morg: Glad to hear that boat has a home. Sounds like you'll make it nice but remember, we up here in the North will accept old circle boats in any color!! Jerry was trying to fix me up with a real boat like yours but I stuck to my barron sprint for financial reasons and the challenge I know I face to make it corner. Also 12s and 15s is the gear of choice up here since we barely have 1000 foot straightaways to keep the speed down. I use 18s in the wifes boat so she cant upset the LH prop so much and prop steer it into the beach! Also a vac secondaries carb works well on dual fours to help pull evenly without slip at the exit buoys. We allow any type of multiple carbs or fuel injection so good luck. Cant wait to see all the southern boats coming to test our waters! Congradulations on a great buy and if you dont need more props for RH I surely do. Jerkster..

126driver
07-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Hey Morg,
We won't be at Long Beach. Maybe Colorado and definitely San Diego. Still working out a lot of bugs in the whole setup.
Post a couple pics of the boat. I'd like to see what condition the previous owner left it in.
Scott

Morg
07-26-2002, 08:21 AM
Scott,
I will post a couple of picks when I get a chance. Billy B. razor bladed all the paint off of the boat. It's not much to look at this point. I just finished modifying the trailer so I could set the motor in next week. I'll post some then.
Sorry I wont see you in Long Beach. Good luck getting the boat going.
John

126driver
07-26-2002, 01:50 PM
I was just thinking Morg. You should give Billy B a holler and ask him if there is a prop floating around his shop. I sold the boat with my best 1" shaft prop. Wish I would have kept it to try it on the new boat with shim stock. I had Dallas cut it down. I'll have to check but I think it was something like a 10 3/4" x 15" or 15 1/2". The prop was stamped twice. Can't remember what the original size was, but I have it written down.
Scott