PDA

View Full Version : Flippen the blower

DEL51
12-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Could it be possible to turn a front driven blower , roots, 180 deg and drive it from the bakside of the engine, off the flexplate/flywheel? I have a friend that may consider this because of space limitations with his back seat.What would be involved?

JAY4SPEED
12-22-2006, 12:36 AM
The first thought that occured to me was that the blower would be spinning backwards being driven off of the flexplate and turned 180 degrees.
Jay

LUVNLIFE
12-22-2006, 03:38 AM
You would be sucking instead of blowing:D :D

Warp Speed
12-22-2006, 05:57 AM
If you just flop the internals, and keep the drive on the same side of the engine (left side), it will still rotate the rotors in the proper direction. I haven't asked any of the blower manufacturers about how easy this is to do, but it is what I am going to try to accomplish next winter. I want the blower, but don't want to move the rear seat forward, or mess with belt covers to keep moms hair, or the kids fingers out of the belt.
Planning on doind it to the new large whipple charger, just haven't had time to contact them to see what this project will cost. It will work, just how much time and money you want to invest.
Warp Speed

gn7
12-22-2006, 06:58 AM
all original gmc blowers installed on jimmy diesels ran reversed from normal "auto" installations and needed to be taken apart and reversed. so yes it can be done. I have considered this mainly to take that much more load off the snout of a snout driven v drive. could possibly run into distributer problems if not running a super chiller to get the blower snout over the top of the distributer

KNOT-RIGHT
12-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I swoped the rotation on my mooneyham blower
I just took the front cover off and moved the drive to the other gear
drilled the six bolt holes in the other gear. Reattached the drive
flipped the cover plate over now the M is upside down.
Worked well.

Unchained
12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Well I learned something here.
I seen a hydro with a Ford Hemi in it many years ago and he was running the blower off the flywheel end.
When I read this thread I wondered how he did that.
Just a little bit of local history.
There are three EXTREME gearheads that live around the Gun Lake area here in Michigan. They raced snowmobiles in the winter and hydros in the summer.
They are Tom Earhart who held the world speed record for unlimited snowmobile at around 160 mph. He drove a few open BAH's too.
John Hass who is the current TFH champion everybody knows.
And Gary James who raced BAH's too. Garys boat was the one that drove the blower off the back of the motor. There are some other hard cores around that area also but I don't remember their names right off.
Must be something in the well water.

flattie
12-27-2006, 07:23 AM
well I think moving th seat forward would be easier and faster to do:)

gn7
12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
yeah that works, foward till your chest is in the steering wheel, then move the engine back.

MACHINEHEAD
12-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Talk to Rick over at Mooneyham. Don @ Peterson performance and Rick have recently done this on a jet. Works fine

Fiat48
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Reverse ground cam and run the motor backwards.

ghittner
01-06-2007, 07:27 PM
They have been runnung blowers 180 deg for years on car applications. I ran one on my pantera almost 20 years ago. It is actually more common than you may think. Just run a pto shaft from the front of the motor to the rear and install a pulley.

DEL51
01-06-2007, 08:42 PM
The Idea was prompted because the back seat is nice,not enough room for moving forward, room to do it on the backside. Thanks to all for the input. DEL