PDA

View Full Version : aluminum heads

tx-19
12-22-2006, 11:09 AM
any body ever use the pro series by procomp for a big block chevy off ebay?are they any good?

WETTE VETTE
12-22-2006, 11:37 AM
No first hand knowledge, but I have heard they are junk! Sometimes you get what you pay for. If I am not mistaking they are cheap Chinese copies of Edelbrock heads. Just what I have heard.

IMPATIENT 1
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
a family member just bought some and they look nice. the ports are kinda ugly but we planned on porting them anyways. you have to run alittle longer valve in them too, stock valves are to short. after buying new valves,springs,retainers,guide plates, springs cups,locks he could've bought another name brand for and additional 200-300 bucks. he hasn't ran them yet, but they're better the 990's or cast heads at least. if he has good luck with these, i plan on buyin a set next fall.
has anyone ran these heads before??

gn7
12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
go back and read the ad and you'll see that they are Aussie castings. They are some how related to or copied from the pro top line head that was sold to RHS/COMP CAMS. I have a set and the machine shop that set them up said to expect the exhaust to come loose, but don't have enough time on them yet to pass judgement. I know that the PRO TOP LINES don't have this problem. Time will tell.

cfm
12-22-2006, 04:42 PM
go back and read the ad and you'll see that they are Aussie castings. They are some how related to or copied from the pro top line head that was sold to RHS/COMP CAMS. I have a set and the machine shop that set them up said to expect the exhaust to come loose, but don't have enough time on them yet to pass judgement. I know that the PRO TOP LINES don't have this problem. Time will tell.
They are chinese. Therefore they are lying. This is the same ProComp that just got an injuncture against them from copying MSD. Copying as in making their product look just like MSD's to fool people.
Pro Topline is from Australia. Comp cams baught them under their RHS division.
Pro Comp almost sounds like Pro Topline and almost like Comp Cams.
Enough said !!!
I have an article about Pro Comp if anyone is interested.
Buyer Beware.

Blown to the Bone
12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
They are chinese. Therefore they are lying. This is the same ProComp that just got an injuncture against them from copying MSD. Copying as in making their product look just like MSD's to fool people.
Enough said !!!
Buyer Beware.
Post the article if you have time.....thanks....

steelcomp
12-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Enough said !!!
Buyer Beware.All correct, especially the part about "buyer beware".
The Australian Pro Topline heads are far better, especially in the chamber design...the Pro Comp heads are made in China, and sold out of Australia. They also have very misleading advertising AFA flow numbers, valve sizes, chamber sizes, etc. They make a BB Ford head that has one word of truth in the specs..."aluminum". :rolleyes:
Spend the few extra bucks and get a set of Canfields. You'll be money, and performance ahead.

Oldsquirt
12-22-2006, 06:41 PM
This little "scheme" of making something in China and then selling it through an Australian company under the guise of being an "Australian product" is neither new nor limited to auto parts. I have read similar stories relating to machine products and tools on a machinist message board.
As has been mentioned...Buyer Beware. Do your homework before you spend your hard earned cash.

wsm9808
12-22-2006, 09:33 PM
for what it is worth, I have a set of the 320s and have done a little bowl work and blend. The link has a post I made on another site with some pictures, details and flow numbers.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152315

jstapplayer2003
12-23-2006, 08:21 AM
ty.for the info

LeE ss13
12-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Darts 19100070 legal Super Stock heads with 325cc chambers are driving 427 ci Chevy flatbottoms with a single 830cfm carburetors, to 110 - 120 MPH. All with a flat tappet camshaft and stock ignitions. Not too bad.

lilrick
12-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Darts 19100070 legal Super Stock heads with 325cc chambers are driving 427 ci Chevy flatbottoms with a single 830cfm carburetors, to 110 - 120 MPH. All with a flat tappet camshaft and stock ignitions. Not too bad.
valid point. but their boats are much lighter, and the heavier boats need a lil' more poop to achieve the same #'s..

cfm
12-26-2006, 07:32 AM
http://byunspeed.com/Port%20Job.pdf
MSD injuncture - 2nd' heading down : http://www.msdignition.com/indexoldie.html

cfm
12-26-2006, 07:46 AM
What led me to looking into this was this.
I was at local dyno shop helping with a few motors and this Liberty rep walked in with some 'killer Australian heads that we are now selling."
I asked if he has proof that they are from Australia and what company is making them for them. "Is it Protopline ?" etc,etc. Answer was "No, I don't think so, in fact, I really don't know. But here, check them out, they are $699 a pair."
My answer "Oh, these aluminum heads are $699 a pair and they are made and shipped from Australia ? I wonder how much it costs to ship them from Australia ? Wonder how they can make them so cheap."
Anyway - he had no answers and no real specs on anything. All he kept saying was the typical salesman "The flow unbelievable and everyone that is testing them absolutely loves them,........." Yada, yada, yada. Again, when I kept confronting him on what shops where using and "loving them" he had no answers and couldn't even come up with a Kevin's Radiator Shop or anything.
So, yes, Liberty and some other big distributorships have their hands in this stuff and are just lying to everyone.
I have to ask everyone - "Do we want to give money to a company that not only copies but does so in an illegal and/or immoral way ? Or do we want the real innovator, R&D, and legit companies to make the money ? Do we not realize that the Brothertons + crew of Brodix, Tony Mamo and crew of AFR, Darin Morgan + crew at Reher Morrison, etc,etc work with other Top HEad Porters and Engine Builders across the country, along with actual race teams and private racers, etc,etc spending a ton of money and time researching and devloping new parts, processes, and etc to give us what we have ?
You cannot jump into 'guru head porting/design' in a few years. It takes a ton of experience and it helps to be involved with others in the industry and at the races.
Can you get this from copying, lying, and stealing ? No !!!
If we let them take a significant marketshare of this business, guess what happens ? Technology hit's a standstill and we are screwed !!!!
So, who fixes or answers your questions with these heads where everyone in the pipleline even does not know where they come from ?
This is a joke and please don't support it - you'll hurt more people than yourself.
Thanks for listening. I'll get off the box.

gn7
12-26-2006, 04:06 PM
well I guess I was blind sided by the same crap, and now I am bummed.I have afr , and dart on my two race motors and was just looking for an inexpensive head for a recreation motor whem I found these. Next time I will much more aware. CFM is right, if this stuff is supported buy purchases then companies like edelbrock, dart, afr, etc eventually throw up their hands and stop R&D because some jerk will just rip off the design. I just can't believe these guys can't be shut down. The biggest burn is that it all starts with some one over here, that pays them to copy the stuff, and imports the product. They aren't coming up with the idea to copy heads, manifolds, and ignitions, it start with some creep on this side and we shouldn't support this crap.