PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Reviews and Hookups?

goneboatin
12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
After 13 years and $400 in repairs in the last 2 years the clothes dryer gave up the ghost. Well, it works intermittantly so it takes all day to dry one load of clothes.
I was out looking for a new washer to go with the new dryer and was amazed at all the gizmos out there just to wash and dry clothes.
Whirlpool has a topload washer that has no agitator called the Cabrio - that looks interesting. They also have a front load washer and dryer called the Duets that seem pretty cool.
LG is the one that I like, it's all digital, but how's LG's track record? My wife says "Who makes LG?". I think that LG has to make a name for itself so it needs to be good.
Any suggestions on who has a good washer and dryer combo? Or who has the connections?

voodoomedman
12-22-2006, 04:43 PM
LG is a Korean company. It stands for Life's Good. They have been huge in Europe for long time and in recent years have been blowing up business here. Started with Cell phones (okay but have some nice new ones like the Chocolate) and then started with the appliances. They have a lot of nice features. Samsung is also Korean and has been bringing appliances and stuff here in recent years. I've always been partial to Whirlpool but I always have second thoughts since my Kenmore (Whirlpool) refridgerator caught on fire one night. Luckily I was home and was covered under extended warranty and got a new one. When my new one makes a noise now though I get nervous.
After 13 years and $400 in repairs in the last 2 years the clothes dryer gave up the ghost. Well, it works intermittantly so it takes all day to dry one load of clothes.
I was out looking for a new washer to go with the new dryer and was amazed at all the gizmos out there just to wash and dry clothes.
Whirlpool has a topload washer that has no agitator called the Cabrio - that looks interesting. They also have a front load washer and dryer called the Duets that seem pretty cool.
LG is the one that I like, it's all digital, but how's LG's track record? My wife says "Who makes LG?". I think that LG has to make a name for itself so it needs to be good.
Any suggestions on who has a good washer and dryer combo? Or who has the connections?

Trailer Park Casanova
12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I've installed,, well, we quit counting at about 500, LG aka Lucky Goldstar aka Life's Good Air Conditioning split system units all over the South West from Delta Utah to Orange County Cali.
Really good stuff.
We gave up all Japan brands.
The Koreans are doing very good on their appliances.
If you can find it at COSTCO, then the return policy takes all risk outta the deal.
Maytag went bankrupt because their Neptune Units sucked.
Open the washer door and it stinks, twists the cloths in knots, doesn't wash well.
So far though, LG is getting good takes from everyone.
The colors are excellent aren't they?
The steamer feature in their washers is awesome, the cloths talk to you when they come outta the dryer.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
I would advise against the Frigidaire. I bought the front loader and it broke during the second load. Because it was now used, I got ZERO customer service. It was always someone elses problem. 5 weeks later they finally gave me a new one (read: 5 weeks without a washer) and this one is tempermental.

RitcheyRch
12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Cant go wrong with Kenmore.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-22-2006, 05:29 PM
I would agree. Our free, used Kenmore lasted us 15 years. Plus, I heard they bought Maytag recently, so if you buy a Maytag, you're really getting a Kenmore.

goneboatin
12-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. Where else besides Home Depot sells LG washers and dryers?

YeLLowBoaT
12-23-2006, 12:33 AM
not sure where you are,but lots of places around here do...
it may sound funny,but we have had great luck with whirelpool. Our frig and washing machine are 19 years old and still doing great... the drier went about about 5 years ago.

goneboatin
12-23-2006, 12:43 AM
not sure where you are,but lots of places around here do...
The world famous home of Bill & Ted......San Dimas, California, dude!

KLEPTOW
12-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Unless your in to bling, go with a top loader with the generic agaitator, the new front loaders don't clean 10 times better so why pay 10 times more for them.
We bought a roper with 5 cylcles and 3 temp settings and 5 load settings for $258.00 here in havi at Lowes.

voodoomedman
12-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Unless your in to bling, go with a top loader with the generic agaitator, the new front loaders don't clean 10 times better so why pay 10 times more for them.
We bought a roper with 5 cylcles and 3 temp settings and 5 load settings for $258.00 here in havi at Lowes.
There are also the top loaders that don't have the big agitator and are less than the front loaders. For us it's not the bling. The agitators are rough on your clothes. You can also fit more clothes in a load without the agitator. Lastly, front loads use much less water.
And Roper is made by Whirlpool.

voodoomedman
12-23-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Where else besides Home Depot sells LG washers and dryers?
I think Best Buy does.

revndave
12-23-2006, 07:48 AM
I would go with Whirlpool or Maytag.I've been a serviceman for 18yrs.LG you cant get parts or anyone to service it.I prefer top load,but the new front loads are ok.Maytag got the Neptune worked out.Whirlpool makes Roper and Kenmore.They also bought Maytag.My .02

76ANTHONY
12-23-2006, 08:06 AM
hahahahaha, this threads crackin me up, i just bought a whirlpool dishawasher and went through the same thing, there are soo fricken many different things on them now you just dont know. LG is what my buddy bought about 5 years ago, they do make good stuff and you get more bang for your buck..

Ultrafied
12-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Our Neptune was one of the first and has been really great. Only one thing went out, the circuit board sensing the front door closing. Replaced, no charge by Maytag. They have been flawless since. I like the front loads personally, opposite door openings make everything real easy!